Rechargeable Conversion Cost

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Several people have suggested that I need to convert my flashlights to rechargeable batteries, as it would be cheaper to operate in the long run. I've been thinking about that, so I did an count of my lights and sorted them by battery types. Here's what I got:

C - 2-3xC, 1-2xC = 8
D - 4-2xD, 2-3xD = 14
123 - 1-4x123, 2-2x123, 3-1x123 = 11
AA - 1-4xAA, 1-8xAA, 3-2xAA, 1-3xAA = 21
AAAA - 1-3xAAAA = 3
AAA - 5-1xAAA, 1-2xAAA = 6
N - 2-axN = 2
CR2 - 1-1xCR2 =1
9V - 2x9V = 2

Can someone give me an estimate of how much it would cost to change those to rechargeables. Also would need the cost for chargers for those batteries. I have a feelling that multiple chargers would be needed....it would be a pain in the butt charging AA's two at a time for the Surge (8xAA)!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would sit down and figure out (estimate) how many of each type of cell you go through in a month of the following types
C,D,123,AAAA,N,CR2,9v.
These batteries will be the more expensive ones to buy good rechargeables and chargers for.

C and D nimh cells cost $5-10.00 each or so for good ones (not the 2300mah store branded ones but 3500-4500 C and 6000-9000mah D)
I am unsure of the pricing of rechargeable lithiums but I figure they will cost considerabley more per cell and charger.
The N cells can be bought if you look around but you would have to rig a way to charge them off of either a AA or AAA bank in a charger.
the 9v cells cost in the range of $5-10 more or less with varying voltage/capacities.
AA and AAA are the easiest choice... YES to them regardless because they are the most popular and have so many chargers/battery types and capacities you can get for cheap.
You can get nimh cells for as cheap as $1-3 and chargers for $10 and up. I would get enough for all the lights you use up batteries in each month and enough spares to fill a few lights up while other cells are on a charger. perhaps an extra 12AA cells and 4-6AAAs that way you don't have to wait on a charger.

I don't think you need rechargeables in every light if you rarely use some of them at all just keep non rechargeables in them and swap out rechargeables when you decide to use them a lot.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Roy -

Unless you are a really heavy C and D cell user, I'd suggest just sticking with rechargeable AA and AAA cells. The return on investment the larger sizes (both for cells and chargers) isn't as clearly beneficial. I like this Vanson 10-channel charger CH-V6988 for $36 including 10 2250mAh AA cells. It's not a quick charger, but the large capacity sort of overcomes that limitation, and since each channel is independent, you're not restricted to charging in pairs. Add one of their bulk AA/AAA packages to your order, and you're all set.

John

PS For most C and D lights, you could always make PVC pipe "spacers" to allow the use of AA rechargeables.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
Roy -

Unless you are a really heavy C and D cell user, I'd suggest just sticking with rechargeable AA and AAA cells. The return on investment the larger sizes (both for cells and chargers) isn't as clearly beneficial. I like this Vanson 10-channel charger CH-V6988 for $36 including 10 2250mAh AA cells. It's not a quick charger, but the large capacity sort of overcomes that limitation, and since each channel is independent, you're not restricted to charging in pairs. Add one of their bulk AA/AAA packages to your order, and you're all set.

John

PS For most C and D lights, you could always make PVC pipe "spacers" to allow the use of AA rechargeables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sold a truckload of battery upsizers in b/s/t.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
3 & 4-cell parallel AA to D adaptors are usually the way to go instead of paying $10+ for high-capacity D NiMH cells.

I'm not sure that the average retail NiCd/NiMH charger capable of charging C & D cells would do all that great a job charging D cells since highcap D NiMH cells are so rare in retail space.

An "upsizing" AA to C adaptor is probably the way to go for C cells.

Juice is the only readily-available make of highcap C & D cell NiMHs I've seen - they're reasonably-priced at Fry's at around $5 per cell if I recall correctly.