Strange noise from a CR123a cell (batterystation)

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I just wanted to change the batterys of my SF M3 and to ensure that the fresh cells are realy "fresh" I always flashamp them, meaning I take my DMM to see how much current they can deliver.

I checked all the 3 cells, but the third cell shows a very interesting behavior. It delivers the same amperage (around 12 amps) and the same voltage like the other fresh cells, but makes a very strange noise while under this heavy load. (I tested it for perhaps one second a few times). It's difficult to describe, it sounds like a snake making "shhhsshh" or the sound of the regulation circuit in my ARC LSH when I operate it without the tailcap.

I've checked this with a lot of other cells, but none of them shows this behavior. The sound comes definately from this cell and not from the DMM, as I thought at first.

Has anybody ever heard of something like that?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Strange noise from a CR123a cell (batterystati

No /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Is it cursed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif or possessed ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
bernie

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

The sound proofing on it must be bad. You are hearing the pygmy squirels running in there to generate the power. I'd return it as it can be distracting, thinking about the poor squirels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif . Don't let PETA hear about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

stringj

Newly Enlightened
A cell making a "shhhsshh" sound in the NiCd world would mean the cell was venting. That would only happen if the cell was overcharged (usually at a high amp rate) or a massive electrical load were placed on it. It is not a good thing.

Jerry

Size15's

Flashaholic

Stop using the battery.
I do not suggest you post it.
Please contact the supply regarding safe disposal.
Do not short, disassemble, puncture, burn or submerse (etc).
In fact, I suggest you leave it alone.
Perhaps bury it in a bucket of dry sand.

Al