Collimater Led Light

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
Just received the new InGon Led flashlight. Bright little light but for how long I don't know. Let it run for about 30 min, didn't see any reduction in intensity based on my own very unscientific observation.However the light was fairly warm. Not the best beam quality. Anybody compared this light to other Luxeon Star lights? Still waiting on my LS first from Brightguy
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Wow! Look at that - you're next year's member model. 2003. You must still have that new member smell.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eeeewww. Better go out and buy some of that "Ambipure" combination bowl freshener & room air deoderant and start hanging them suckers all over CPF.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
-------------------------------------------------
Is the body of the light aluminum? If it is then maybe the LS is nicely heat sinked to the flashlight. That would be a good thing. Looking forward to hearing more about this flashlight.
------------------------------------------------

Yes the it is all aluminum. Appears well built. I might add that even though the flashlight was warm, when I took it apart and felt of the emitter and the heatsink it was cool compared to the flashlight body so it seems to have ample heatsinking. The website says that it is water and shockproof buuuuuut when I performed a suction test , again very unscientific, there is no way this light is waterproof IMO. Thanks for the warm welcome. When my posting skill improves I'll try the digital camera thing and start posting links, someday.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Does this thing have an LS LED in it? Have not heard of regular LEDs getting warm.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roy:
Does this thing have an LS LED in it? Have not heard of regular LEDs getting warm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it contains an LS. Never even heard the term 'collimator' in my life until I found out about the LS
smile.gif

Most regular LEDs can get warm too, especially when overdriven. Try holding the legs of a 5mm LED while hooking it up to 3AAs - it can get pretty toasty. My Eternalight gets slightly warm around the LEDs too when I leave it running full-blast for 5 minutes on new batts.

The LS simply gets hot faster cause it's like having 10-15 regular LEDS sitting in the same tiny space, with the associated power consumption and heat dissipation.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>However the light was fairly warm. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is the body of the light aluminum? If it is then maybe the LS is nicely heat sinked to the flashlight. That would be a good thing. Looking forward to hearing more about this flashlight.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the observations mr Catseye, I have one of those headed this way (ordered last weekend). At least I can rest assured that it isn`t the worst light in the world.
You say the beam isn`t great though- in what way? Odd colour tint? Off center? Rings and holes? Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect when I rip open the box later next week.

BTW I`ll have a side by side comparison of it with an Arc LS Factory-Second as soon as I`m able to. And there`s a CMG Reactor due in a few weeks, so I`ll add that too when it gets here.

grin.gif

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
You say the beam isn`t great though- in what way? Odd colour tint? Off center? Rings and holes? Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect when I rip open the box later next week.

The beam is off center and a little on the green side but only up close. Back away from a surface and the light has a good white cast. Almost indentical to my Electroblaster in color although about half the output. Based on ly on what I can tell visually. As far as the switch goes it is a tail cap switch almost the same diameter of the light. Kinda reminds me of a retractable ink pen in operation,momentary operation is not possible from the off position. Has a good firm feel. When I get my Arc-LS I'll see if its worth 50 bucks.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catseye:

The beam is off center and a little on the green side but only up close. Back away from a surface and the light has a good white cast. Almost indentical to my Electroblaster in color although about half the output. Based on ly on what I can tell visually. As far as the switch goes it is a tail cap switch almost the same diameter of the light. Kinda reminds me of a retractable ink pen in operation,momentary operation is not possible from the off position. Has a good firm feel. When I get my Arc-LS I'll see if its worth 50 bucks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you took your light apart, did you notice if it was resistored or not??
confused.gif

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
When you took your light apart, did you notice if it was resistored or not??

Dunno. Didn't see any obvious elec. components but this one is over my head. Maybe the Supreme One(I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy)
wink.gif
at the Led Museum will give a proper revue and administer the correct PUNISHMENT!!.
shocked.gif