USENET Program Help Required

UK Owl

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you can recommend me a newsreader program.

What I would like is one that when it comes to a binary attachment on my ISP's news-server that is incomplete, it will take the missing part of another news-server, e.g. a pay-per-download one from astraweb.

Any recomendations ?

was_jlh

Enlightened
UK, in Win I use PowerGrab, in linux I use Pan. They are both nice, but I'm not aware of the feature you requested existing in those two.

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
homer-donut.gif

Dohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Double post.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
if you are looking to do binaries.
I would suggest that you go with NewsBin .
Agent is good for reading but if you are mainly concerned with getting files, NewsBin is the way to go.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Here's something taken from the NewsBin FAQ.
This is what I'm assuming UK Owl was looking for.
I have used Newsbin and know ppl who use newsbin with a paid for service news provider suplementing their isp.

21 - I run with mulitple servers, how can I prioritize my servers?
Prioritizing multiple servers: In the "Servers" window, you can click and drag your servers into the order you want. You should put your fastest server first, even if it does not have the best retention or completeness of posts. NewsBin will grab whatever it can from the first server and search the subsequent servers for additional headers or missing parts to multipart posts. Do not confuse this with the server setup screen accessable from the "Server" button on the toolbar. You want the window on the newsbin screen with two tabs labeled "Groups" and "Servers". The Servers tab is where you can re-order your servers.

UK Owl

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys,

It sounds like MrMimizu's suggestion will do what I want i.e. 'In the "Servers" window, you can click and drag your servers into the order you want. You should put your fastest server first, even if it does not have the best retention or completeness of posts. NewsBin will grab whatever it can from the first server and search the subsequent servers for additional headers or missing parts to multipart posts.'