Mods for a stinger? Modder wanted :)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stinger pack is a three cell SC pack. Ginseng did a build run of five cell 1/2SC packs to make what brightnorm calls the "mini-Ultra" stinger. dano, I think, is the one who originally did this, and used an Ultra Stinger lamp. But, for really insane size vs brightness, you can run the WA1160 in this baby for nearly 500 lumens out the front of the torch. It's a killer mod. Not much runtime, though, but I can't remember if it's 15 minutes or 20. A search on Ginseng's threads will turn it up.

Ginseng is pretty busy lately, and probably would not be able to do this mod for you, BUT I could do it for you, as I have been wanting to play with a stinger and explore the possibility of a mini-Ultra. I couldn't give you a price or timeline for completion, but if you're interested, you can trust me to do right by you.

It would need to be the non-tail cap version, and also, I would really be a LOT more interested in modding the non-HP version. So you're looking for a StreamLight Stinger with no "HP" or "XT". Here's a link to brightguy's Stinger page.

You'd need to buy the light and ship it to me. I would then need to destroy the old battery pack to get the hardware from it, and make up a new battery pack using the five Sanyo 1/2SC's. You'd also need to get your hands on some WA1160's. www.flashlightlens.com sells them. Or I could sell you some WA1111's, which will also work, but the 1160 is the better choice: brighter and whiter at 6.0 volts.

Let me know via post or PM and we can talk about it if you're interested.

Also, again, let me reiterate that I have never done this mod before, and if you'd prefer to use someone who has experience with this particular mod, that's completely fine by me, but I can say with certainty that it's well within my capabilities and experience and I'd love to do it, plus I can bother Ginseng with questions as much as I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif hehe. So, let me know.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah,

I wouldn't mind consulting. I did the most recent builds and that was based on Dano's pioneering work a while ago. I tell you, it's not a fun pack build...but it'd be fun to see Jim's engineering take on it.

Don't forget, for the full WA01160 build, you'll need to replace the plastic lens as well and the word was a special tool was needed for this. Maybe, maybe not. You'll tell me once you get a look inside that head. Stepping to the US bulb would probably not require this step.

Wilkey

BTW, if Jim's building it, it'll be topnotch. Let there be no doubt about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another endorsement of js (Jim). Everything he does is incredibly well thought out and almost overengineered.

If Ginseng endorses him also, you know that his work is beyond expectation!

Bill

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried using a W/A bulb with the 6V pack. I dont think you can change out the plastic lens in an US/HP head for a glass one, due to the press fit.

I dont think the stock stinger head can accomodate a W/A bulb.

If anyone needs the reflector seperated on a stock Stinger head, let me know, I have the tool.

-dan

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
A WA1160 in a 5 cell stinger (non-HP) is what I really want to see done. I'm sure there are issues, and maybe they are too fundamental to overcome, but I'd love to try it. In fact, eventually I will, but right now my money is tied up (and then some) in the TL and M6 projects. Which is why I offered to let tysonb be my guinea pig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

If he wants. Otherwise, this will have to wait.

I thought that it had already been done, actually. No one has put a WA1160 in a 6V stinger? Only in the Stinger HP?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

I have set a few folks up to run the WA01160 in the MiniUltra. Two are overseas, IIRC. They don't run them long because they're using the stock lens. I also recall that at least one or two folks have replaced the plastic ens with a glass unit. In fact, I think both of them are police officers.

Nothing beats the MiniUltra for off-the-belt burst of light from a small, small form factor, dollar for dollar. From what I have seen of the XT tailcap, it might be possible for a machinist to replicate it but adding on 4mm. That would allow the use of a 5-cell pack.

It's really a nice little light. Just wish it were more mod friendly.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
AH! Thanks for the info, Ginseng. So fogeting about the lexan lens issue for the moment, the 1160 will focus in the smaller non-HP stinger head. That's good to know.

hmmm. I'm definitely going to investigate stinger modding at some point in the future.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, I'm in for the mod!

I should have a Stinger this weekend, if you are interested?

How big is the lens, Ginseng, did flashlightlens.com supply one for you? I assume that the borofloat would be necessary with the bulb that close to the lens.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,
It's not a perfect situation. The bulb is a bit longer and the pin spacing is different (4mm vs. 3.2mm) but it is workable. Don't forget about that bottom-fill tail on the WA bulb. I do not know the lens size. I did not inquire about specific details but it was someone here on CPF who did it.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Jim, I'm in for the mod!

I should have a Stinger this weekend, if you are interested?

How big is the lens, Ginseng, did flashlightlens.com supply one for you? I assume that the borofloat would be necessary with the bulb that close to the lens.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Bill, let's check this thing out! This is exciting! Send me the Stinger whenever, but remember that at this point I have no idea on how long it will be before I can finish the mod and what it will involve or how much it will cost. I will check the situation out and then I should be able to get a better estimate on these things, and we can talk then. We're both talking about the smaller head non-HP standard stinger, right?

tysonb, it seems you weren't interested in my offer, but if you were: sorry, for now I'll be working with bwaites. In the future I may be able to do this mod for you if you ARE interested, depending on how things turn out.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

Yes, the smaller the better.

I'll pick it up tomorrow, if they are in stock and hopefully mail it Friday. If not, I'll just order one online and have it shipped to you.

Please PM me your address again.

Bill

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

PM sent.

Ginseng, thanks for the info and heads-up. I'll keep this stuff in mind.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
AH! Thanks for the info, Ginseng. So fogeting about the lexan lens issue for the moment, the 1160 will focus in the smaller non-HP stinger head. That's good to know.

hmmm. I'm definitely going to investigate stinger modding at some point in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Lets see how many minutes it takes for js & Ginny to Muglite me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. "Focus", did someone say focus? I'm in, spot to flood, woohoo! Oh sorry, guess js was just speaking in terms of 'can the hulking big/wide filament throw out a useable beam with a small reflector'? Well it's not an 64447IRC, so the bulb itself is not too long, or too large in diameter for such a small head...but. Hmm, about that battery choice.

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Jim,

I have set a few folks up to run the WA01160 in the MiniUltra. Two are overseas, IIRC. They don't run them long because they're using the stock lens. I also recall that at least one or two folks have replaced the plastic ens with a glass unit. In fact, I think both of them are police officers.

Nothing beats the MiniUltra for off-the-belt burst of light from a small, small form factor, dollar for dollar. From what I have seen of the XT tailcap, it might be possible for a machinist to replicate it but adding on 4mm. That would allow the use of a 5-cell pack.

It's really a nice little light. Just wish it were more mod friendly.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I'm wondering if the 75hr rated life WA01183-U could work better? Spec'd at 4.7v, narrower filament, higher efficiency and 410 lumens at spec. Only downside would be even shorter runtime with 3.85a current draw vs. 3.45 for the 5v WA1160.

But if you're going to spend the $$$, get the machinist to add 25mm for 6-cell operation. Just thinking...walking on thin ice...'out of the box' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif---there's this smaller diameter T2 size(assuming it's not a misprint in the Osram data sheet) bulb @6v, that sucks up the amps, that could push 700+ lumens at 6v for ~10 minutes, maybe a bit more with those RC style 1/2SC's??? Hmm, what parts can meltdown inside of a Stinger with searing heat from a super high-watt bulb(nomex racing gloves additional cost of operation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)? Hmm, where's that super secret, reduced size ballast/quick start, with 12w overdriven WA 10w HID, with nice focusable 1.27mm point source of light arc gap, for maximum throw and 600lm mod that I thought js was working on ;-) for the stinger?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

Had a chance to look at a display model Stinger tonite. They were out of stock for new units.

BUT... the bulb socket area is apparently plastic, and it doesn't appear to be high temp stuff.

Have you looked at these at all? I love this idea, but only want to go this route if you think the socket area is robust enough to not melt on full runs.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

I have never seen a stinger in person, and I share your concerns and sentiments on this issue. Do you think it would be possible for me to replace the socket? Or go to some other method of bulb mounting? Perhaps Ginseng could weigh in on this?

If you want to back out, absolutely no problem on my end. Either way. I can't really say what I can and can't do until I actually LOOK at the thing, and for that to happen either I have to buy one (not any time soon) or you'll have to send me one.

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)
Wow guys,

I 'lost' this post by not making it a favourite. I am interested in your mod if you liked the challenge of the first one, and I can see how much $, and time it takes, and if you were even successful at all.

I will be back to this post, but I have to go to bed right now. I am sorry for the delay.

tysonb

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

I was impressed by the Stinger, and wanted a smaller rechargeable anyway, so I'll get one sent off to you soon, but I really do wonder about it.

From what I could see, (I obviously couldn't do a full disassembly right there in the store) it looks like there is an integral bonding process between the body and socket area, but I'll check it out better or send one off to you.

Bill