micro converter (pics)

spoggles

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, has anyone used MJ's micro converter in a ARC-AAA?
my arc-p is dead and I want to mess with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 9.5mm seems to be the right size to fit I would just have to make an 8mm heatsink if any?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: micro converter

there are some detailed power level comparisons with the arc aaa use of the mj converter.. i think 'the point' of that converter is in-fact running an aaa arc light.. 9.5mm is a little small (3/8inch) to fit properly in the peak aaa head (10mm).. it's only 9.25mm to the next 'step', and then 8mm to the inner 'step'... 8mm heatsink works out to almost exactly 5/16th inch, so a 5/16th spacer works great with a little thermal paste of some kind.. I bought a 3' rod of 99.999% copper for my heatsinks... even a 'real' penny cut down will do the trick if you are only running at alkaline levels.

Look at my peak light mod i'm building.. it's possible i could sell my converter board, but the most important thing to make the light 'shine' is the reflector.. It is a LiON solution because it can output twice the power.

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

thx for the suggestions guys, both of your mods are amazing...tvodrd your can is just awesome but its too big to fit by.05mm first step on the arc is 9.5mmseems like MJ's board was built specific to the arc.....andrewwynn your circuit would be possible with a little shaving here and there, how much you want for the circuit?

LASAP has a pill for the arc/solitaire but kinda takes away from the fun of it as perfect and cool it may be....

heres the last mod I did kinda ruff but works great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

link

d'mo

Enlightened

FWIW, I've found it's easier to build a converter from scratch, rather than try to modify an existing one....

djpark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
spoggles said:
hi guys, has anyone used MJ's micro converter in a ARC-AAA?
my arc-p is dead and I want to mess with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 9.5mm seems to be the right size to fit I would just have to make an 8mm heatsink if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are still searching for the AAA mod with MJ Micro Converter, here is what I did with 8mm LED.

ARC-AAA with 8mm white led (with pics)
ARC-AA with 8mm white led

The converter is slightly smaller than the stock Arc board. As I mentioned in the post, you will need to add a thin wire around the edge of the converter so that it will sit in the head firmly.

If you are willing to mess with your arc-aaa-p since it is dead, I recommend you to get 10430 li-ion rechargeable cell (AAA size) and direct drive with a current limiting series resistor. The cell is usually 300mAh and with 250mA to a Luxeon, it would last for more than an hour.

The best part of using the li-ion cell in Arc-AAA is that you don't need to have headache with the boost circuit or inductor and capacitor stuff. You can also add constant current regulator on the original arc board after removing all the components. Some of the interesting ideas of such regulator used by other CPFers below (which can fit in AAA board, not complete). Hmmm, I even add a uP for brightness control.

The Li14430 light: the electrogeek aspects
DIY Electronics
New 35mv LDO-CC Driver for Luxeon
Class 2: Arc-AA 8mm ISP + Micro-P Multi Brightness
Arc-AAA-8mm-Cyan with Li-Ion Current Regulated

-- dj

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

thx dj...I went with the micro converter wich gives me the option of Li-ion or nihm...I'l post some pics of the work when i finish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

djpark

Enlightened

My MJ/MC gave me about 80mA to the LED with a new AAA Alkaline battery and it is possibly due to the high Vf (3.5-3.6V).

If you can get over 150mA to the LED as it is supposed to be (155mA), I would be interested to know your setup.

-- dj

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

well i finished the light, but its not brighter to the naked eye than it was originaly from what i can remember it even seems to throw less....colour is nice and white and its exelent for close up flood needs, the lux is a LD QWAK...DJ I do not have any tools for mesuring the output...the wiring diagram for this is kind of weird on the first pic it shows where to solder the led but on the second pic(flip side)show different locations, I used the second pics wiring for mine, maybe would be brighter if i had wired it the way it shows in the first pic where you see the actual components???

pic 1: http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/images/e640_mj_microconverter_f.jpg

pic 2: http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/images/e640_mj_microconverter_b.jpg

djpark

Enlightened

In the 2 pictures, the GND and LED- are swapped, but both are connected together. So there is no difference.

Though you can't measure the LED current, can you measure the battery current?

-- dj

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

no DJ I need to buy something for that what do you recomend?

here are some pics:

aaa_mod_001.jpg
aaa-lux on new duracell ultra vs LSHP second on 2100mah nimh's fully charged.

aaa_mod_012.jpg
this pic seems to look as if the the arc has a lens but there is not, just very highly polished alu...around the luxeon I stuffed a small o-ring for some water resistance and it works great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aaa_mod_016.jpg

aaa_mod_025.jpg

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

I tried runnnig the little sucker on 2 [email protected] volts with no noticeable brightness increase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but I'm just glad to have my arc back and will prolly have it forever with such an under driven lux...all in all I'm pleased with the mod since its so much whiter than the nichia and has brighter flood...

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

Update:

I reently had the pleasure of comparing this light to my dad's standard acr-aaa and it just stomped the standard both of them on new duracell ultras, it took about 15 minutes for the lux mod to drop down to the standards brightness flood wise, at that point the standard beat the mod in terms of throw, but the lux has none or very little hot spot.

I'm very happy with this simple mod but its a battery muncher, nimh's seem to run flater but are not as bright as the duracells, I still need to try the new lithiums they should be exellent for this light.

This mod is great for getting maximum flood out of the arc-aaa on standard battery's and much better tint than the nichia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks like you spit-shined up the head... did you cut it down at all into a parabola? it will make a TON of difference.. look at the first page of http://aaa.rouse.com and it shows exactly how to use a dremel to cut an aaa reflector into a parabola.. it works incredibly well.. just buff it like crazy with buffing compound and felt cone when done.

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

dang, Thx Andrewwynn, your mods are just amazing, I only polished the refector, id like to try it but if i open the crimp once more i may loose it entirely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .... Btw, are your lights still available and if so how much for the 3 stage? package 1 $90 ?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

lights are still available.. won't be selling 3-level versions but in a few mo. will be selling continuously variable versions... there are some of the 1-level versions still available.. $90 for the pkg 1... write me an email flashlight (at) rouse (dot) com.. and i can maybe work out a deal for you for a spare head for your own messin... maybe with the parabola already cut jsut for you to polish.

-awr

spoggles

Newly Enlightened

I will wait for the continiously variable, that sounds awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif