Minor problems with Foxfire.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is normal or not, but my Foxfire act slightly differently than IE when it comes to a couple of sites I normally visit.

Here at CPF, I noticed that the flashing envelope that normally appears in IE when I have a PM, sometimes doesn't appear on Foxfire. Occassionaly it does, but it can just as easily disappear BEFORE I read the PM.

I also visit CBS Sportsline a lot. They often use these tiny pic symbols to indicate if a player has good news, bad news or is hurt. If I hold my pointer over that symbol on IE, a small pop-up window comes out with text in it. On Foxfire it does not do that. However here at CPF, Foxfire does do that when I hold the pointer over a thread title in a search window. Why doesn't it work on CBS?

Lastly back at CBS, they have this 'live scoring' feature that updates the scores of the games and stats for players basically 'live'. On IE, specific boxes (cells) get highlighted and that info is updated. Very smooth and fast. On Foxfire, the whole page reloads, which is not nearly as nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anybody know how to fix these problems? Am I suppose to change a setting somewhere or download a patch? Thanks in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tech

Newly Enlightened
Not having looked at these sites with FF, I'd guess it is a java thing. That seems to be one of the more common issues when using non-IE browsers due to how the sites were built.
There is no cure other than getting people to write their sites better.
T

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think there is a way to contact the mozilla development team, they have a group that contacts websites that render/work improperly and helps them fix problems and make things compatible with the browser standards instead of just making it work with IE.

Ratso

Enlightened
Mozill FireFox is not compatible with certain plugins and Java applications. It IS however compliant with all W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) HTML, Javascript, and CSS standards, which means that MSIE has certain exclusive plugins/features which are not W3C compliant.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Not all web sites are fully compatible with all browsers. If the web designer is using MS Frontpage to create a web site there is a good chance that some exclusive MS code will wind up in the finished site, and only viewable as intended in IE. Download and install the ie-view extension for FireFox to give an easy way to load a problematic web page with IE from within FireFox.

You don't mention which version you're running, but FireFox 1.0 pre-release version has been available for a many days now, and the general release of 1.0 is expected this month.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on it after also experiencing difficulties with too many sites. The kicker was my bank site when I attempted to do my internet home banking. Maybe the next release will be better.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
what is really bad is most phishing probablem are associated with IE, bank sites would be better off recommending and supporting a non IE browser to protect themselves and their customers from it.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using 0.9.1. Guess it's time to upgrade and see if the problem goes away. It can't be a java thing can it? I don't think IE supported java until I downloaded an add-on from Sun. I assumed it was that same patch that was handling the java stuff for Foxfire. If not, anybody know how I switch it over? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally I think IE is still a lot smoother and looks nicer, but the TABS feature and the fact that Microsoft is such a huge target has made me switch. Sometimes I still open up IE just because certain pages work better with it and several plug-ins I like don't work on anything but IE. If it weren't for the TABS thing, I'd probably still be using IE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think there is a mozilla plugin that allows you to open certain pages in IE for those that are not written the standard. The tabs are my favorite thing, also when mozilla crashes on rare occasions I just start it again while IE sometimes craters your whole OS. As more people start using other browsers more websites will start making them compatible with standards instead of just making them IE usable. I have heard the SP2 or XP does tabs, if you want to mess with it. The tabs in Firefox makes my dialup as useful as DSL, just load a bunch of stuff in the background while reading the other stuff, Adblock can be set to stop a lot of the junk that drags loading time down also and kill annoying flash animated banners for good.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
As of tonight, my hotmail account is not working with FireFox. I cannot open a msg or clk delete in the junk folder. I don't dare open IE (See the U are infected thread) FF doesn't work for MS updates- have to let my box get out of my control until I clean it with AdAware SE+. This crap really sucks!

Larry

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest version of Firefox is 1.0 Preview Release. Make sure that you read the instructions on the Mozilla website about how to upgrade--these beta versions require uninstalling the older version prior to doing an upgrade, or else you'll mess things up.

The Sun Java plug-in is different from the one that IE uses, which is a proprietary Microsoft feature. One reason why Firefox uses this separate plug-in is so that the Firefox installation file can be kept small.

Right now, I use only three extensions: Java, Macromedia Flash, and IE View. The last one allows me to right-click on any web page and select "view this page in IE" from the drop-down menu.

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened
This helped me with some sites when using Firefox: you might check TOOLS | OPTIONS, and look at your settings under PRIVACY and WEB FEATURES (in my install, Java and JavaScript settings are here). Certain sites won't function right unless I enable cookies for that site (quickly done for a specific site by pressing ALT and C keys simultaneously...provided you've loaded the "Permit Cookies" extension).

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefox does not render certain portions of webpages properly, but in general, it doesnt bother me too much.

for example, when i go to the banners section here, only 1 or 2 show up.

or, when i go to certain sites, some icons dont show up.

perhaps 1.0 will make it better--and i really like firefox.

Bob

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The security settings have me totally confused. Java, java script, active-x, etc.

I used to have the security settings so high on I.E. that it wouldn't work on some financial sites. At least I think that's what the problem was. I would just fire up Opera or Mozilla for those sites. They always worked for me. I never touched the security stuff for Opera or Mozilla, and I guess these are running wide open.

Since I installed XP service pack 2, my I.E. works everywhere. I guess installing the service pack changed my security settings.

Anyway, having at least two brands of browsers seems like a good idea because you can instantly switch security settings by switching browsers.

I can understand why someone would rather not use I.E., but I don't understand the Firefox "tabs" thing. It seems to me that XP has good tabs, it's called the task bar. Just drag it to the left edge of the screen and stretch it out several inches wide. Use auto-hide of course.

I have 33 programs running now including 16 I.E.s and there's a tab for each one. What am I missing?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Take 16 of those IE tasks on your bar and make them into one firefox task that when opened, most likely it will make the titles more readable now on your task bar. Also.. if needed you can exit firefox/mozilla and kill all 16 pages at once, instead of killing 16 seperate IE tasks. I just like less clutter on my task bar, when you get 22 browser pages going it chops off the titles so much that you have trouble finding other running programs if they are all in the task bar.

Also with the close tab extension I can right click anywhere on the page and choose "close tab" instead of the alternate methods of running to the X on the corner or right clicking on the taskbar and choosing close (I autohide the taskbar).

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
I can understand why someone would rather not use I.E., but I don't understand the Firefox "tabs" thing. It seems to me that XP has good tabs, it's called the task bar. Just drag it to the left edge of the screen and stretch it out several inches wide. Use auto-hide of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using only 1 open process to view multiple web sites I think is the better way to do it IMO. I often "open in another tab" Google links while doing searches as an easier way to backtrack. The bookmark menu also adds an "Open in tabs" selection for each organizational folder. I have a bookmark folder with my all the sites I visit daily (like CPF) which I simply click on the "Open in tabs" selection on the bottom to load up everything at once. That feature sold me way back in ver 0.7.

Answering the original question of the thread more: You have to download a JAVA plug-in for Firefox separately to use JAVA enabled web-sites. I haven't checked what's available since last spring, but I used the Netscape JAVA plug-in (it is compatible with Firefox), but there may well be a dedicated Firefox version now.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to be getting contrary info here. If I install the XP service pack 2, will my IE have 'tabs' similar to what I get in Foxfire? If it does, I may just switch back right now. If not, I'll deal with Foxfire. The tabs are a MILLION times easier and more intuative than using the task bar. With tabs I generally like to keep similar info in one window. For example I'll open all my sports sites in one window this way I don't have to search through the whole taskbar to figure out where they are. I usually have several items open in my taskbar anyway. It's too cluttered as it is. Tabs make everything easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BF Hammer said:
... Answering the original question of the thread more: You have to download a JAVA plug-in for Firefox separately to use JAVA enabled web-sites. I haven't checked what's available since last spring, but I used the Netscape JAVA plug-in (it is compatible with Firefox), but there may well be a dedicated Firefox version now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never downloaded any seperate Java thing for Foxfire, but Java does work with it. Just not the same way these java applets work in IE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have heard the XP pack 2 did tabs, but many people are not installing it due to other problems it has with some systems. It varies per computer, many have no problems... a few have to uninstall part or all of it because their computer crashes.

I too use the open folder in tabs option for my daily site viewing, it saves me time checking each one seperately. I also like the bookmarks in the sidebar since I run at 1280x1024 it pushes what I am reading to the center of the screen more on pages designed for 800x600, where they are usually on the left side. I also can access then instantly to go to websites for reference on rare occasions.
I also like the quick search feature once I figured it out, and am using the skipilot theme which makes the icons on the bars smaller and a few other things.