EE Times article: White LED efficiency projection

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent link, Doug. I particularly like the last bit about hoping to attain 200lm/w by 2007!
smile.gif

Presumably, with more %age of the total supply energy going to produce light, that would mean less heat too. That's a Good Thing indeed....

d'mo

Enlightened
Higher output would be incredible for automobile headlights, video projection, room lighting, you name it. So Cool!! No bulbs to burn out!
cool.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with the article and wrote the guy an email to clue him in. Evidently a few other people had the same idea because his mail box is full and not accepting any more messages.

I find it hard to believe he could not know anything about Lumileds. His information about the US effort, UV based solutions and other timelines was old news. Other publications have published this several months ago.

No offense to you Doug. I appreaciate the heads-up on this article!

Ruff!

--

As far as the future of white LEDs, is should be obvious to most by now that LEDs are in a simliar pattern to the "Moore's Law" for microproccessors. 200lm/watt (and beyond) is definately possible.

Peter Gransee

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[No offense to you Doug. I appreaciate the heads-up on this article!

As far as the future of white LEDs, is should be obvious to most by now that LEDs are in a simliar pattern to the "Moore's Law" for microproccessors. 200lm/watt (and beyond) is definately possible.

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Certainly no offense taken! I'm only providing the link, not endorsing the accuracy of it's content.

I personally think the Moore's law analogy is not a good one as there are definite known limits to the efficiency [100%]. I am not as confident as you that we will ever see 200 lm/W white sources. While 100% efficiency for monochromatic 555 nm is 600+lm/W, for white sources it is not much over 200lm/W. The lm/W at 100% efficiency for white light varys somewhat with color temperature, but is around 220 lm/W for one commonly used definition of "white".

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk, your question is an easy one. EE Times and other publications of that ilk such as EDN and ECN are not News magazines. They are vehicles by which businesses can buy exposure for their products and services. I think that we can reasonably surmise that Lumileds does not have a commercial relationship with EE Times.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well...Cadillac is claiming to have LED headlights in an upcoming V16 super ultra pantent leather cream of the crop too expensive for my wallet luxury car...

I'll stick with the Saab I don't yet own
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not as confident as you that we will ever see 200 lm/W white sources.

I don`t know about Moore`s Law, but this is a "Haitz Law" projection of LED efficiency. Don`t know who Haitz is either. Maybe they`re one and the same? Anyhow, courtesy of James D. Hooker:

LEDgraph.jpg

Actually now I look at that again, it doesn`t refer to efficiency, only output power. I was sure I had an efficicency one here but can`t find it, maybe it`s still on the old PC (and that one has a dent in the side so if it`s still there it`s staying there now......)

rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif