That angry blue color

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Finally captured accurately on camera, this is what a white Nichia LED looks like when it's very severely overdriven and starts letting you know it's really pissed.

pod.jpg

Notice the very distinct, angry blue color towards the lower right. This picture is of a Ledda 4X that has one LED sucking down far more power than the others; perhaps more than the other three combined. If you look closely, you can even see a reflection at the top showing normal white LEDs and the pissed off one one making that unusual sky blue-aqua color. The target for this picture was a white styrofoam cup.

Saaby

Flashaholic
You too can see this yourself...just take a Nichia LED and (Briefly folks, we're not looking to do permanent damage) connect it to a 9V battery!

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I've been wondering, what would happen if i put an Arc LS head on a Surefire E2 bondy with two 123 batteries instead of one?

i have converted my E1 to use on the Arc Ls and love it. Just wondering about the E2?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Catdaddy,

I reckon you'll be looking for a new Arc LS.....

Saaby,

If I am to understand the nature of LED's as explained to me, you may very well be doing permenant damage to a LED by hooking it up to 9 volt battery. At any rate, I think this will take some of the life away from the LED.

- Don

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh well...it was only for a second a brief brief second and as I understood it it's the heat generated that ruins them, but they can take the heat for a second because when you solder them and stuff...guess when that 5mm Nichia in my upcoming superlight poops out I'll know why
frown.gif