• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Want help buying correct board

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Ok, I've done a bit of looking and would like to make sure I'm buying the right board for my first mod.
I've got a 4c mag which I plan on converting to a regulated luxeon III. I'm planning on buying a hotlips with the emitter already put in. I also want to stick with the 4C batteries.

From what I saw on the sandwich shop website, I'm looking to buy a Downboy convertor. I'm guessing I can expoxy it to the back of the hotlips?
I also don't know what current to set the downboy to for a lux III.
If I'm incorrect, any help would be appreciated.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMimizu,

You are correct. You will need a downboy converter. I would suggest that you also get an "ecan" to pot the converter into. You can then epoxy this to the bottom of the heatsink.

The bias (current level) is up to you. The higher the current level, the less runtime you'll have. To get the highest reasonable level of performance out of a Lux III, go with a downboy1000. If you want fairly bright and an insane runtime, go with a downboy 500.

Just keep in mind that half the current does NOT mean half the light. A Lux III running at 1A (or 1000mA) will be about 50% brighter than the same Lux III running at 500mA; however, you'll get more than twice the runtime at 500mA.

Of course, you could always go middle of the road and go with a DownBoy700.

Oh, if you have not already gotten your luxeon, you should get one with the lowest Vf possible. An "H" or "J" would be good. This will help to maximize runtime.

Good luck,

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Thanks Chop.

I was looking at either the DB 750 or 1000. There is no 500..next is 400.
I'll be getting a hotlips C with a TWOJ stuck on for my by Hotlips.
As for the "ecan", I will epoxy the Downboy to it and then epoxy the whole thing onto the bottom of the hotlip? There is space in the maglight for this after I chop the stock that holds the bulb?
Figure I ask now instead of after I make a mistake.