• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wayne's mistake!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne\'s mistake!

I just received three Mc2ES 60 ohm and a black tailcap.

I went to swap a 15 ohm for a 60 ohm. No large "O" ring in any package but there is a smaller one in the packages that isn't needed unless Don added one? No shim/spacer with the tailcap either.

Luckily Don sent me a package of different sizes, I may have enough large ones or I'll have to swap them around which is okay with me.

I swapped the missing rings from the other Mc2ES.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Wayne\'s mistakeI

Bill ... is this
1) a "complaint" about a mistake in a deal with Wayne or
2) a question whether Don has changed the McE2S design (which I do not think he did) ?

If it is 1) let us know so that we can move this thread in the appropriate forum.
If it is 2) ... please clarify.

thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic

A quick shot here as I don't have time to get into it but the spacer washers are no longer required as far as I know and I suggested that the shop stop supplying them. I have not used them since the molded jam nuts came out. As for missing O-rings, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

After Don's words it seems that this thread is better suited for the Sandwich Shoppe's forum ...

pianoman

Enlightened

wayne doesnt make mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

hold it, this isnt even Wayne we are talking about is it?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

He's talking about Wayne Y. at the Shoppe.

If he did overlook putting the o-ring in there, is it really worth posting about it. My local hardware store carries those things.

Flatscan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
I went to swap a 15 ohm for a 60 ohm. No large "O" ring in any package but there is a smaller one in the packages that isn't needed unless Don added one? No shim/spacer with the tailcap either.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many o-rings did you get in each package? It sounds like you got 2: 1 small and 1 smaller, where you were expecting 1 large and 1 small. I think this is the case because I mixed up the sizes when I first assembled mine. The larger o-ring seems like it is sized for the top piece, but is actually for the lower piece.

The smaller one goes on the top piece, to retain the assembly against the jam nut, and the large one goes on the bottom, to be inserted into the battery tube. I used a little lube to help me get those on, as they seem to be too small, but they fit well once on.

Edited to add:
Well, I just confused the whole matter, didn't I? I successfully assembled my McE2S after only a little confusion.

My summarized theory is that wptski put the large o-ring where the small one should go.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

If we need to send out an o-ring let me know. I'm not too sure how to read this thread and if I need to take action or not.

Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Flatscan,
The supplied O-rings now are both a size smaller than originally speced for the assembly. In a few cases, the larger O-rings were causing some binding in the battery tube and more difficult to instll and remove the switch in the cas of the retaining O-ring. It turns out that these O-rings can vary a significant amount in dimension.

Wayne, I am not sure what you are supposed to do either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't notice that thread was moved but now that all voiced their opinion, here's mine.

If you purchase a kit that you assemble, should one need to go out and purchase missing parts, no matter what they are? I think not. What if the PCB or other major part was missing? Missing parts are missing parts!

The missing "O" ring is the one that acts as the insulator from the battery tube. The one package that I opened had a small "O" ring tucked inside the pocket where the coil spring goes and that's why I asked if one was added for some reason. The other two packages, the "O" rings where just loose.

Some time ago I received a Aleph 2x123 powerpack which was missing one of the "O" rings also. Don sent me a assortment of "O" rings but none of which is the missing "O" ring.

I thought that the spacer was still needed. I like the newer molded jam nut!

I bought a couple of extra 15 ohm Mc2ES which I can take the "O" rings from.

I never thought that people would tell me that I shouldn't mention missing parts but just go out pick them up yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe I just should have emailed the Shoppe instead of posting but I wondered if I'm the only one that has received kits with parts missing.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Bill ... is this
1) a "complaint" about a mistake in a deal with Wayne or
2) a question whether Don has changed the McE2S design (which I do not think he did) ?

If it is 1) let us know so that we can move this thread in the appropriate forum.
If it is 2) ... please clarify.

thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]
berhard:

I don't follow every thread so I didn't know if a change was made but the extra "O" ring didn't look like it belonged anywhere and I knew that the missing one "was" needed.

So, now I know that the spacer isn't needed.

I should have posted one question for Don and the other in the Shoppe.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

Did you even try to contact Wayne and ask him to send you the appropriate missing parts before posting this thread? He may have made a mistake, but you should give him a chance to redeem himself before assuming that he expects you to find the appropriate parts at the local hardware store and making a post like this.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
Did you even try to contact Wayne and ask him to send you the appropriate missing parts before posting this thread? He may have made a mistake, but you should give him a chance to redeem himself before assuming that he expects you to find the appropriate parts at the local hardware store and making a post like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I didn't contact him. I was curious if others received kits that were short on parts since this wasn't the first time.

My mistake, I should have emailed him "first" but I don't think that it's such a terrible thing to post about.

Funny, I have another item that I purchased from a CPF vendor that's missing a pictured "O" ring which they say should come as pictured. They are checking on it. They aren't active in the CPF as McGizmo, etc.

I have another item from another active CPF vendor which is defective that I have emailed twice and received no reply.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Flatscan,
The supplied O-rings now are both a size smaller than originally speced for the assembly. In a few cases, the larger O-rings were causing some binding in the battery tube and more difficult to instll and remove the switch in the cas of the retaining O-ring. It turns out that these O-rings can vary a significant amount in dimension.

Wayne, I am not sure what you are supposed to do either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

What's the number of the large insulating "O" ring? I'll see if I can find some.

I'm wondering what the extra "O" ring is for/from? It's smaller than the one that retains the switch behind the jam nut.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Re: Wayne\'s mistake!

Please see my edit above and confirm or deny theory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:The missing "O" ring is the one that acts as the insulator from the battery tube. The one package that I opened had a small "O" ring tucked inside the pocket where the coil spring goes and that's why I asked if one was added for some reason. The other two packages, the "O" rings where just loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing happened with 1 of the 2 McE2S that I got last week. I think the o-ring just works its way in there on its own. It serves no purpose in there, just pick it out with something. That's the small o-ring. The other one (though it may not seem like it) is the large o-ring.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flatscan said:
Please see my edit above and confirm or deny theory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:The missing "O" ring is the one that acts as the insulator from the battery tube. The one package that I opened had a small "O" ring tucked inside the pocket where the coil spring goes and that's why I asked if one was added for some reason. The other two packages, the "O" rings where just loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing happened with 1 of the 2 McE2S that I got last week. I think the o-ring just works its way in there on its own. It serves no purpose in there, just pick it out with something. That's the small o-ring. The other one (though it may not seem like it) is the large o-ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you did get the large one, right? I may have ten Mc2ES's all together but this was the first time they come with missing "O" rings.

Flatscan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
But you did get the large one, right? I may have ten Mc2ES's all together but this was the first time they come with missing "O" rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there were 2 o-rings in each package. In one of them, the smaller one was hiding inside the lower switch piece, as you described.

Can you pick one of the following to describe the contents of your packages?<ul type="square">[*]1 o-ring, extra small
[*]2 o-rings, 1 small, 1 extra small
[*]something else[/list]

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flatscan said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there were 2 o-rings in each package. In one of them, the smaller one was hiding inside the lower switch piece, as you described.

Can you pick one of the following to describe the contents of your packages?<ul type="square">[*]1 o-ring, extra small
[*]something else[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flatscan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Flatscan,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The o-rings were sized down, so that small -> extra small and large -> small.

I made the same mistake when I put my first McE2S together, putting the larger o-ring on the button. I pried it off using a small screwdriver, but I think I nicked it. I'll replace it if/when it breaks.