CMG Infinity Ultra available at ...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damm, after I looked at the pic and saw what looks like paint on the reflector I called CMG to find out for sure. Same old c**p story "led project most there light forward so we didn`t think people would want to pay extra to leave it off since there is hardly any increase in brightness".

What a disapointment.

Ken

Glow Bug

Enlightened
I bought 8 CMG Ultra Gov Infinitys and tested everyone against my ARC Special Edition. Every single one is slightly brighter. My opinion, mine only, I am glad the hard type III was included in around the LED. It somewhat protects the entire light from corrosive environments and takes away negligable brightness. Everyone has there own idea about whats best. I think CMG has really made a good design this time especially as far as brightness and quality is concerned. I still love my ARC and still carry it every day. The two are so close as far as brightness is concerned, there really is not enough difference to gag over. Of course, only my opinion:)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, but Glow Bug, aluminium boats run in salt water, many unpainted. Many other things are made from aluminium on purpose to handle salt water. Airliners are made the same...and I never see any rust...maybe a little pitting...but thats about it.

I think the "protect against the elements" claim is nonsense. I do think it would have raised the price...by 50 cents or so.

Members, including myself, scraped the paint off the old Infinities and found there WAS a increase in brightness...not night and day...but noticable.

Ken

Glow Bug

Enlightened
KEE, KEN, KEN, You know I'm always right...At least I try to convince myself I am:^) I still think it would add as much protection to the aluminum as you see extra brightness by sanding the reflector. Minimal but some nevertheless. Here is a quote from Frank at [email protected]
The ULTRA-G has the TypeIII coating as required per mil spec. We used to sell the original CMG lights (with a few minor changes) to the government but there were a few (very few) units that corroded when exposed to sea water.These lights were the original powdercoat and the later TypeII coated. The white powdery corrosion is like cancer. You can clean it off but it grows back. The Type III coating is supposed to eliminate that problem.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000096;p=2

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you can line the inner surface with something, aluminum foil, even, if you really need to go to "11", in the words of Spinal Tap-
Should be easy enough, and you could evaluate if it really makes enough of a difference to warrants further effort.
Unless this is going to be billed as a dive light or something, the protective aspects of the coating on the reflector probably isn't all that big a deal, it's just a matter of convenience in manufacturing to just coat everything wholesale. Still, the amount of brightness that has apparently been gained in this version more than makes up for the slight decrease from the coating.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
Guess we need to move on to mo portant things now:) Like how many hours does this light get on an AA compared to the old version....

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a show down between the Arc-Finity and Ultra to see which runs longer.

Ken

MDM

Newly Enlightened
This may have been covered previously, but what's the best way to get the black coating off the Infinity contact? Is a knife edge ok?

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
I know there is a clear anodized finish. We used it a lot at Hughes Aircraft, and my bike chain rings are clear anodized. I used to have a brand of chain rings not anodized at all, and my sweat stained and streaked them like crazy. But to mask things off so there could be two different anodizations would be costly - labor is expensive. I like mine the way it is.
--Ðøug
rolleyes.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Bright Guy says waterproof to 30', Franks post says 15'.....???? hmmmm

wonder who's right.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The photo in your link {pocketlight} looks like it has a shiny reflector??? Did you get a shipment without the anodising?

Ken

DonL

Enlightened
Originally posted by Wingerr:
Maybe you can line the inner surface with something, aluminum foil, even, if you really need to go to "11", in the words of Spinal Tap...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why not? I line all my caps and hats with aluminum foil. Keeps those pesky beams out...

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by DonL:
QUOTE]Why not? I line all my caps and hats with aluminum foil. Keeps those pesky beams out...[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Someone had a hilarious website up on the merits and benefits of doing that; too bad I can't remember where it was-