Reflector vs. Optic

jaids

Enlightened
Is there a reason to use a reflector instead of an optic? Vice-versa? What are the advantages of each?

Thanks,

Jay

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector gives a better beam quality and optics give more throw. I think....

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
A reflector gives a small hotspot and lots of sidespill. An optic gives a bigger hotspot, but less sidespill. Some people don't like the optic because often the hotspot will be off-center or irregularly shaped.

OddOne

Enlightened
Optics are also less tolerant of contaminants - if you leave a fingerprint on the side of an optic you can degrade the beam quality noticeably. Reflectors are slightly more forgiving.

oO

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question should be, "why use an optic instead of a reflector?"

A reflector gives a much better beam than an optic does. I wouldn't say that an optic puts out a broader hot spot than an reflector does either. I've spent a lot of time over the past year replacing optics with reflectors.

If you replace an NX05 optic with a 17mm reflector, the beam will actually be comparable, but the beam from the reflector is much more satisfying. I also believe that the reflector is a bit more efficient. Centering issues aside, the reflector gives a much more conventional beam pattern.

The statement that a reflector puts out a "small" hotspot is totally untrue, as a general statement. The smaller reflectors put out a nice sized hot spot for close to medium range use. The larger reflectors do have a smaller hotspot, but that is because you beam is more concentrated; however, this does give you more throw.

Flashlights are tools and like any tool, you have to choose the right tool for the job. If you are looking for something that will give a utilitarian beam like an NX05, but just better and cleaner, a 17mm or 20mm reflector is what you are looking for. The 17mm IMS reflectors have been a, pretty much, drop in replacement for the NX05 optics.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Here is my take on the subject. Some will disagree.

In a small amount of space, an optic can provide a highly collimated beam with little spill. Optics can be cast from a mold, and don't require exotic procedures like vaporizing aluminum. Optics can be used without a seperate protective lens. You can create small optics like the Fraen LP that have almost no sidespill. Some optics produce beautiful beams.

Optics require careful positioning to optimize their effect. They can bring forward the image of the LED die itself. Optics work best when clean and when nothing is touching the back (sides) of the optic.

Reflectors are less critical of placement. Bigger ones can be very efficient, directing a lot of light right where you want it. A proper 12 inch reflector can throw a beam a mile using a 1 watt luxeon. Expensive reflectors can be almost 100% reflective.

To eliminate sidespill requires a deep reflector. Reflectors almost always require a lens to pretect them from dust and scratches. Reflectors can rust an teh coating can scratch or peel. Reflectors typically will have a great beam IF you defocus it slightly. Focused reflectors with bulbs frequently have hotspots shaped like the filament. Orange peel can be used to smooth out the beam, but you lose some light doing that.

So there's a place for both. I like optics for pocket carry. I like reflectors for bigger lights. I borrowed an ARC LS with a reflector, It was not really better than my EDC, just different. The fact that I've not changed my EDC should say something.

Daniel

Krit

Enlightened
Reflex suit for good throw but not for close-up work or walking as optic.

I think it is depend on someone to select for each proposed.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics can also provide some serious throw in a small package. Generally, throw is proportional to the size of the reflector, however, for a small light, an optic is capable of throwing a heck of a lot further - 4th-gen KL1, Fraen LP, vs Surefire L4, all around the same size. However, when you scale up to larger reflectors, optics are at a bit of a disadvantage.

Right tool for the right task. Most of us would prefer reflectors, but an optic made possible Surefire's smallest pocketable Turbohead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
here ya go:

alxdlogkrfu5hgfas.jpg

anriam7b321xltx84.jpg

PS: i totally disagree on these 3 year old statements about whatever beam goes for whatever method:
thats just in the device!
An optic with 45 degree will never make a small hotspot with no sidespill,
same as a huge floody reflector wont make a small spot.

Also its just WRONG that an optic makes no sidespill. It makes useless sidespill!
Just look at the pics @ 0.5 meters. With any optic there is just the hotspot, but one can also see the paper, parts of the wall and often that tipod also. Thats because all the spill of an optic leaves it at an 180 degree "arc".
With the reflectors there is the hotspot and the wider direct spill, but even the edges of the paper target are totally in the dark
PPS: optics suck

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's an awesome shoot-out, yellow.

Why do people state opinions as fact? I'm just wondering...
:laughing: Oh, boy, you've opened a can of worms. :laughing:

For me, it's a matter of what I'll be using the light for. I still have lights that I prefer to use with optics. Furthermore, there are some mods I've made where the only viable option for me was to use optics. They're really not bad at all. Plus, they can do things a reflector can't easily do, like project a wide angle beam, for example, or focus a beam really tightly with a limited height (whereas you need a very deep and long reflector to achieve the same result).

So, cliky or twisty? :devil:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an awesome shoot-out.

Sure is, and someone really has a wide selection of reflectors and optics to experiment with.

The only thing that would help would be bigger text for the images, some are tough to read, even with pretty good eyes:shakehead.

The palm blaze looks like it's performing pretty well.