Brinkman Legend LX runtime

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I admit, I've turned it on and off a bunch of times, but in terms of real runtime, I'll bet I got less than one hour of light out of the light before the batteries dimmed.

I was amazed at how bright the light was ... but disappointed in the total runtime.

Is this typical?

Thanks!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Was it on the stock batteries? Sure lithums have a 10 year shelf life but that doesn't mean that the lithiums in the packaging are as new as the light itself...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It's not regulated, so of course it's going to dim as it's left on. The question is how much did it dim? Was it still usable light.

I asked, becuse I just did a runtime test on my SF E2E and got a great, white, bright light for a steady hour.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't deny the battery physics. The LX uses the same batteries yet puts out noticeably more lumens then the E2, therefore it is going to go thru the batteries quicker. I bet it would be more in line with a Scorpion with maybe 50 minutes of bright light. When you think about it, the LX is an amazing light. It's clunky and geeky but in terms of light output, it's the best value out there. By being affordable and widely available, it can only prove to be beneficial to the incandescent flashlight world and maybe even drive down the price of the lithium batteries even further.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Brinkman LX at Walmart a couple weeks ago. Before I even turned it on, I took a voltage reading of the batteries, and they were both under 1.5V.

edit: I meant 3V.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I measured mine and got 3.03v on both cells. These are the original batteries with about 10 minutes run time. I measured a draw of about 1.26 amps and with the 1300 mah batteries it should give you about one hour of use. It is possible there are some bad batteries about. I am not sure about Lithiums but in the past I think I remember that some batteries kind of go to sleep untill you actually pull some current through them. This may be a total figment, just a thought. If it is of interest mine came with sanyo with a lot code of GA. The mah rating is how many ma can be pulled for a hour untill the battery voltage drops below a usefull voltage. It does seem on the data sheets that the duty cycle intended is not 100%. The hour runtime may actually be more like 50 min continuos or a hour when used now and than.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I measured mine and got 3.03v on both cells. These are the original batteries with about 10 minutes run time. I measured a draw of about 1.26 amps and with the 1300 mah batteries it should give you about one hour of use. It is possible there are some bad batteries about. I am not sure about Lithiums but in the past I think I remember that some batteries kind of go to sleep untill you actually pull some current through them. This may be a total figment, just a thought. If it is of interest mine came with sanyo with a lot code of GA. The mah rating is how many ma can be pulled for a hour untill the battery voltage drops below a usefull voltage. It does seem on the data sheets that the duty cycle intended is not 100%. The hour runtime may actually be more like 50 min continuos or a hour when used now and than.

yclo

Flashaholic*
You just wanted that flashaholic status didn't you..
rolleyes.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must respectfully disagree with you, geepondy.

I don't think the Legend LX is geeky!
wink.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Orion:
I must respectfully disagree with you, geepondy.

I don't think the Legend LX is geeky!
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh yes, of course appearance is subjective. In my mind I was comparing the looks to a Surefire, notably an E2.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LX is a fine light, but it is a bit on the clunky side for everyday carry. For that purpose I use an E2E. The LX stays at home, generally used as a "what was that squeaky noise in the kitchen?" light. I can then sit here and shine it all the way to the other end of the room and check the contents of the rat's cage to be sure they're both still in there.
grin.gif

Burn time should be approximately 1 hour, with an unknown number of additional minutes of increasingly yellow light. (That's bad for the bulb, so I change the batts before it runs too yellow like that. If allowed to run cool, the halogen cycle is disrupted, and tungsten iodide goes everywhere).

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will definitely give you that, geepondy. As far as tough looking lights go, it's hard to beat the Surefire products.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, I may be just clueless, but what is that flashlight being thrown at?

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think it's a bit chunky too but it'll due until I get my Suerfire. Actually as I can only afford so many expensive lights I am holding out (Which is easy because I don't yet have the moneys) for the A2 to see how expensive it is. I've seen pics of the LX vs the E2 and I've seen pics of the E2 by the A2 and I think that the A2 is still slightly smaller than the Brinkmann. The Brinkmann is still one of the many many lights that is fun to hand to people and watch them shine it in their eyes, then they usually repeat with the Arc AAA
grin.gif
both bright lights for their size.

JohnG

Enlightened
LX...........geeky? Maybe.

But I feel like some kind of GI Joe wannabe when I carry the E2e.

Hey, who's the moderator?
This topic doesn't belong here.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuck!!! It was ugly enough before without having to see it naked!
shocked.gif

Aren't there CPF rules about indecent exposure?
wink.gif
DavidW?