Gerber 2-Stage Tailcap Possible?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all. I was looking over the many 2-stage tailcap mods and was wondering if it would be possible for someone to make a 2 stage tailcap for the Trio (or the LX1.0 or LX3.0 for that matter) for a reasonable cost? Something along the lines of a 10% low output ala SureFire L1/L2. Don't care if it's a clickie or twistie or the standard twistie tailcap somehow modified with a clickie. Just want something capable of putting out significantly less light for short periods.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob mod question. But at least I searched first! There is so much information in this forum a guy could get dizzy from trying to take in a weeks worth of posts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone? Even just a simple, 'No way in hell'?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Technically, you need two bits of information;

1) how does the loight's converter respond to low battery voltage. Does it just go dead at a certain point? Does it drop out of regulation and go into direct drive (this is the objective) Does it simply try to draw more current and incease to boost?

There are a few converters that turn off at a fairly high low voltage conditions to protect rechargable batteries.

2) Is there a way to activate a switch? I've not seen the LX1.0 or LX3.0, so I can't tell you what is even possible. Most of the twisy mods use the compression caused by screwing in the tailcap to activate the two stage switch.

You can determine how your converter reacts to low battery voltage using the resistor to battery tube trick mentioned in the various two stage tailcap threads.

Daniel