Lionheart extend/key.....

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
you don't need a longer body for the Lionheart to use the 18650 li-on battery, my friend made for me the lion heart extend, it fit between the battery body and the light. Now my Lionheart last a long time.
17950.jpg

17951.jpg

LightChucker

Enlightened
Re: Lionheart extend

glockboy, that looks great!

Could you do me a favor and ask your friend if he would make one for me?

Oh, one other question - is there any risk that the increase in power would damage the LH?

Thanks,

Chuck

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
glockboy, that looks great!

Could you do me a favor and ask your friend if he would make one for me?

Oh, one other question - is there any risk that the increase in power would damage the LH?

Thanks,

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

The Li-ion 18650 cell has the same voltage as the Pila 150A/S or Pila 168A/S, so there is absolutely no danger of damage.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The great thing is that the LH circuit already has a built-in low voltage regulator that will cut off the battery when voltage drops below 2.75v (I think), so you really don't need to use the Pilas at all and can use the unprotected Li-ion cells. The great thing about unprotected Li-ion 18650 cells is that they have up to 2400mah versus 1800mah from the Pila 168A, meaning you'll get an additional 25% of runtime.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

glockboy, I'll also be in for one if you're doing a run..

chasm22

Newly Enlightened

Glockboy;

Looks good! Put me down for one.

chasm22

Matt_USAF

Newly Enlightened

If he is selling them, put me down for one!

Thanks,

Matt

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting, I'd love one. When is the sign up for HA3 version?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glockboy, I will buy one of these if your friend will make more. Great accessory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tweek

Enlightened

I can't really tell from the pics, but are the edges on the extender beveled to match the LH? Even if they aren't, I still want one! Hopefully your friend will consider making some for us... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

daz

Newly Enlightened

If these are available put me down for one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

With the larger cell, do you notice an increase in brightness on high?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

With a freshly charged li-ion the output will be the same - i.e. peak output. Regardless of size, the li-ion or Pila will output 4.2V fresh off the charger.

Due to the higher capacity of the larger cell the duration of brighter output will be longer.

Remember, the LH driver is essentially unregulated. It uses PWM for dimming and relies on the relatively flat discharge curve of the li-ion chemistry to provide reasonably constant light output. Combined with the human eye's log response to light intensity the light output looks even more constant (at any specific LH output setting).

george.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
georges80 said:
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

With a freshly charged li-ion the output will be the same - i.e. peak output. Regardless of size, the li-ion or Pila will output 4.2V fresh off the charger.

Due to the higher capacity of the larger cell the duration of brighter output will be longer.

Remember, the LH driver is essentially unregulated. It uses PWM for dimming and relies on the relatively flat discharge curve of the li-ion chemistry to provide reasonably constant light output. Combined with the human eye's log response to light intensity the light output looks even more constant (at any specific LH output setting).

george.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what will affect the current is the internal resistance of the cell. The higher the capacity, usually the lower it's internal resistance is. However, the variation will be so slight that it won't be noticed by the naked eye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
4sevens said:
[ QUOTE ]
georges80 said:

george.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what will affect the current is the internal resistance of the cell. The higher the capacity, usually the lower it's internal resistance is. However, the variation will be so slight that it won't be noticed by the naked eye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run a Pila to the Lux3's that are in the LH and straight off the charger it has a loaded output voltage as close to 4.2V that any internal resistance is a non-issue.

As I said, "Due to the higher capacity of the larger cell the duration of brighter output will be longer." And that means that the higher capacity cell will provide longer & brighter runtime - but the PEAK brightness will be no better than the lower capacity li-ion cell.

I think we're nitpicking here anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Oh okay, mine remains a shorty. 75 to 90 minutes according various tests at full on High before output drops to 50% should be more than enough anyway...