WA1111 vs WA1160 in Mag Rechargable ???

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Noob here. I have two mag rechargables. After lurking and searching this board for awhile, I bought some WA1160 bulbs from Flashlightlens.com. I was only able to find around 4 or 5 different threads on this subject when I searched, but I have lots of other questions:

Now I am wondering about bulb life compared to the WA1111? Under load after about 20 seconds, my newer Mag is putting 6.1 volts to the 1160 bulb, and the older one (with the older style 2.2 Ah battery) just puts about 5.5 to 5.6 volts across the bulb pins. Anyone here have a couple extra WA1111's they want to part with?

Anyone with any real world experience on the issue of bulb life/durability? Would a drop from waist height onto concrete guarantee a blown bulb (either WA bulb)?

I am wondering also about possibly getting a tube extender to use 5 full D cell NiMH or NiCd. Does current /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif NiMh D cell technology handle the ~ 3.5A this light would want to pull? I am thinking of the 9 to 11 Ah batteries. I suppose the charger would have to be tweaked if I swapped to NiMh as well. Any good threads on how to do this?

I am wondering about sputtering one of the reflectors to better blend the artifacts associated with the longer filament lenght of the 1160 vs stock bulb.

would a UCL with the diffusion coating be worth exploring or would I cook it with a 20W light?

Cool site by the way. Like most everyone else new here I didn't know I wasn't alone in my flashlight "collecting"

Chris

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WA1111 vs WA1160 in Mag Rechargable

1160 is very slightly brighter than the 1111 on 6 volts. I haven't popped an 1160 by dropping the light, but I've never dropped one hot, or onto concrete without at least partially diffusing the blow.

I haven't burned out an 1160 yet, have 20 plus hours on one, more than that on another.

NiMh D's should handle it just fine, but with that long a run time, you might find that the head gets PRETTY hot!

You can charge NiMh's with the stndard charger, but don't leave it on for longer than necessary to get a full charge.

Don't try to sputter it, the sputtering material won't handle the heat generally. If you want to smooth it out, find an orange peeled reflector from Carley or 5Mega. (Check out the group buy and B/S/T threads).

The UCL with diffusion coating MIGHT be OK, I'm trying it with one of mine just for kicks, but it does seriously decrease throw. Talking with flashlightlens.com could probably clear this up better.

I personally don't feel that the artifact is worse with the 1111 or 1160, just different.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

The '11 is not overdriven on the 5 cell pack so you should get the full bulb life, 100hrs I think it was. You should get somewhat less on the '60.

On durability, I have one user who absolutely punishes his four MagChargers (all sporting WA01160 and my custom battery packs). Drops, throws, multiple back to back full pack discharges and he has yet to blow a bulb from this abuse. He will switch the bulb out as it gets dim from age but he has not popped one.

The high cap NIMH Ds will handle that current. This guy will be using them in 5 and 6 amp applications that I'm preparing for him. You will not have to tweak the charger as the stock system will accomodate this. It will just take 36+ hours to fully charge. I personally would mod them to up the current but that's just me.

Sputtering will help soften the filament artifacts but it will not counteract the oval-ness of the hotspot, which you correctly surmised is due to the filament length.

I would not dare to use a UCL-LDF. It will get too hot. No way especially if you do full pack runs.

You've chosen a good mod. Bright, useful and rugged.

If you want to up it a bit, stick in a 6x2200mAh 4/5SC nimh and drive the WA01111. This is a very potent combo and will still charge satisfactorily in the stock cradle system. This is the MC11+ configuration.

Wilkey

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
The high cap NIMH Ds will handle that current. This guy will be using them in 5 and 6 amp applications that I'm preparing for him. You will not have to tweak the charger as the stock system will accomodate this. It will just take 36+ hours to fully charge. I personally would mod them to up the current but that's just me.

Sputtering will help soften the filament artifacts but it will not counteract the oval-ness of the hotspot, which you correctly surmised is due to the filament length.

I would not dare to use a UCL-LDF. It will get too hot. No way especially if you do full pack runs.

You've chosen a good mod. Bright, useful and rugged.

If you want to up it a bit, stick in a 6x2200mAh 4/5SC nimh and drive the WA01111. This is a very potent combo and will still charge satisfactorily in the stock cradle system. This is the MC11+ configuration.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe,

Hey Ginny, you're as bad as umm, js & me...you tease ;-)

What's the word on that 5 & 6a application? Umm, would the 5a involve a certain projector bulb of 6v/30w of G4 base, T2 size envelope...by chance? 100hr life, 700lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ? Will the switch assembly handle 6+amps, even with the mica disks, or are you doing a custom bi-pin socket?

Hmm, how about that other well known bulb manufacturer's microscope bulb at 6v/30w and 800lm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif? How did that test out?

Got that set of close-up pics of the tear down of the innards of the MC switch assembly ready for me to post with my M*gD/C contact cleaning thread to be posted ...tomorrow?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Comprehensive Mag mod thread here

Gliderguy: I'm also a newbie, and just got into hotwiring after a long obsession with LEDs.

In your searching, you may or may not have already found Wilkey's comprehensive Mag mod thread. I'll post the link here.

MagCharger Mods Lineage

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Comprehensive Mag mod thread here

Oodles,
No teasing here. It's S4MadMan's mini Aurora. Although it has evolved a bit from its original conception (it's something both Jim and I are working on) the idea is still the same. Use Osram G4 6V bulbs (30 and 35W) in a 5-cell configuration driven by massive D-NIMH cells. Jim is handling the bulb to switch interface.

An idea that I've been curious to try is to install a MagCharger switch core (with the bipin receiver) into a D-body. It should work, but I can't buy an extra MC switch core to tinker with and I don't want to break my only working MC.

The Osram bulbs are very nice. The fact that they are axial filaments is especially nice.

Like I said before, I'm not too motivated to break down my MC right now.

Wilkey

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Jim is handling the bulb to switch interface. {uh...oh, would that be "Jim" as in js, of 'we don't need no stinking cammed operation' fame?} /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

An idea that I've been curious to try is to install a MagCharger switch core (with the bipin receiver) into a D-body. It should work, but I can't buy an extra MC switch core to tinker with and I don't want to break my only working MC.

The Osram bulbs are very nice. The fact that they are axial filaments is especially nice.

Like I said before, I'm not too motivated to break down my MC right now.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Ginny, how's the condition of your only MC switch assembly, shall I order one for you & me (only $11ea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), or do you want me to tear one apart all by my lonesome self (I like to take things apart, it's my inner child at work)?

Got some minor, less potentially efficacious, ideas on tweaking the standard M*g switch assembly for more current flow, but will post those to js's other thread, after I get the pics up for the cleaning contacts thread in another few days. Distracted w/chemo/radiation days...recently.

"Mini"-Aurora...Mercedes CL65 AMG...too big, too heavy, I was thinking more along the lines of M*gC body size, Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale(Ok, Ok...maybe it's more like Subie STi)...what's with you guys and big heavy-handed hands? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can get MC switch internals, gimme the link. I can't do much with the one unit I've got. And I've got a ton of ideas. I'll need the charger section along with the core.

I'm thinking Big Rig as in 60-footer, 1,200 pound feet of torque and eighteen wheels of compact crushing muscle.

Wilkey

udaman

Banned

LInky is in that 'other' js thread...you know, see my most recent post here to that thread:.
Mag drop in switch assy for WA lamps & Carley

I have not contacted them, it's M*g part No. 108-106, scroll to bottom of the page- $10.50; so maybe it's just a mistake listing, but since I need a new C switch assembly to demolish, and replacement D switch assembly, might as well order these too. By charger section, do you mean, Charger cradle-those run about $20 or something, or contacts portion of the body? I will just tear the actual switch assembly apart to examine current flow pathways/contact junctions.

Big rigs! And here I though you were more of a flash in the pan quicky/highest power type of guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess you missed this copy from the CAFE

Edit: called the toll #, according to their computers they have 61 Rechargeable Switch assemblies in stock, web price is $10.50, shipping is listed on the site at UPS rates, but I was told M*g parts for small orders will go out USPS Priority mail at $3.95. You might be able to find the switch assembly for less some where else, as the price on the MC reflector is a bit high at $27.

Update Edit 11/23/04

According to "Pam", now changed her story; they only ship inexpensive items via USPS for $3.95, since they do not perform tracking on these. All other orders for M*g parts will ship via UPS ground service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Shipping cost for my order which is local, will be $6.54.
==================================

" DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION "

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined)
1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass.
After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), > the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin- turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

..and that my friends, is ACCELERATION !

Latest posts