SF M3T, M4, or M6

CQB

Enlightened
hi there!

ok. It's getting to that special time of year again, where our hero gets to reward himself for a year's worth of doing a "job well done"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

... just dont tell the wife, please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I want to get a light with some wow-factor, good throw, good output (100+ lumens) and I'm not too bothered with runtimes of "up-to-60 min".

Any of you CPFers who own the M3T, M4, or M6 (one of them or all of them) and if you could do it all over again (dont you wish you could sometimes?! I know I do!) which flashlight would you recommend? And why?

Other info: I plan to use this particular light for when I do night-shifts as security at a major shopping mall. I already carry a SF 8AX (or L7 depending on my mood) as my primary. THis new light would be if I wanted to really reach out and blind someone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I would most likely use a holster of some type and wear it on my duty belt. Likewise if I was a cop (future career aspiration, *sigh*).

Tks in advance guys!

Be safe.
CQB

K-T

*Moderator*
For pure function and carryability I would go with the M3T as it is slim and light, yet has a nice throw, I believe that for most tasks the M6 is not needed eventhough it is an impressive "tool".

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i got the M6 just for the WOW factor. going to get a blackhawk holster for it so i have some way of carrying it on besides holding it in my hands or putting it in my back pocket. with 500 lumens you'll definitely reach out and blind someone~
i dont have a M3T or M4 but i believe you're able to use the Pila rechargeable batteries for it. i would choose the M3T cause it looks cooler. if you decide on using it as your primary light then either the M3T or M4 would be best cause of the rechargeable batteries. hopefully when things work out, then EDC'ing the M6 would be a dream come true, check out the link http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=736527&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=all

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have all 3 if I could just keep one the M4 would be my choice. The M6 is a sight to see but the M4 fits my hand better. The M4 will take the KL6 or you can run it on 2 168s Pilas with the M3T lamps MN15 MN16 or N2 lamp seems like more options with the M4 to me any ways. Had I larger hands and larger wallet the M6 would prevail.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cdf

Enlightened
I have an M3T . Its pretty impressive and wont bankrupt you to run . It has good tactical throw and is pretty compact , relativley speaking . I've got an M6 on order ,but that's more for smart *** points . I think I'll still mostly carry the M3T.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
If you buy more than one, you can easily mix and match.

For example, if you buy an M4 and an L6 (M3 body + LED), you can run the M4 + KL6 head and the run the M3 as an M3T (with the appropriate lamp assemblies).

Having said that, I like all three lights. When I first bought the M4, I wasn't planning on getting an M6 (found an M4 in stock first). I then ended up getting the M6 anyhow, and eventually an M3T.

If I had to choose one, it would probably still be the M6, at least for me. The light is a lot of fun to play with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CQB

Enlightened
Whew! Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions guys!! I have lots to think about. WIll let you guys know if & when I am able to make up my mind - although truthfully it will be my WALLET which will have more influence over my decision, than the useful posts from my fellow-CPFers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
CQB

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you guys can spare me some feedback related to the M3T/M4 too. Which lamps are you using?

My next project is building this crazy hybrid SF Turbohead light that will be able to take any lamp that the M3T AND M4 can (provided I load the correct number of cells).

A little data:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Name Voltage Lumens Runtime Efficiency
----------------------------------------------------------
N2 9V 110 60 3850
MN15 9V 125 60 4375
MN16 9V 225 20 4500
MN60 12V 225 60 7875
MN61 12V 350 20 5250
</pre><hr />

I need to make a decision on my lamps. Currently I am looking at the MN15 as my low-output extended run lamp, so the decision is between the MN60 and the 61 as my high output option. On one hand I want a serious dose of lumens, having gotten used to the P91 (200lu), on the other hand the runtime for the MN61 will eat my cells for breakfast because it takes more of them, despite it's relatively high efficiency in terms of lumen-minutes.

Topper

Flashaholic*
KevinL, I agree with Hoghead on the N2 beam looking nicer than the
MN15 I do not recall if there is a price consideration. I run the MN61 in the M4 using 4 123's OR I add 2 A19's and use 3 Pila 168s. I have 2 M4's so 1 is set up for 3 168s all the time. The other M4 body normally runs the L6 head with 2 168s. My L6 body and M4 head is my M3T 2 150s and the N2 lamp.
QCB I noticed you list a C3-bk if you get a KT2 you would have a M3T add a A19 to it and you have the M4 sort of anyway just use the right lamps and your good to go.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I mostly use either the N2 or MN16 in my M3T's. The N2 beam is fantastic.

Of the M3T, M4 & M6 I prefer the M3T for it's compact power and durability although the M6 is an awesome force of light - well worth the running cost of keeping it well fed with SF123A's!

I'm sure you will not be disappointed which ever you buy - given your predicted application I'd go for the M6 and a belt pouch for it.

Al

Flashdark

Enlightened
CBQ

IMHO the M3 is the ONLY choice just because of the sheer versatility of the light. From there, you can go almost anywhere in heads, power, tailcaps, mission, runtimes, LED, A-19 extender for M4T performance etc. I have several different versions and it is now the only "upper-end" light that I use. Hope this helps.

Flashdark

Enlightened
CBQ

IMHO the M3 is the ONLY choice just because of the sheer versatility of the light. From there, you can go almost anywhere in heads, power, tailcaps, mission, runtimes, LED, A-19 extender for M4T performance etc. I have several different versions and it is now the only "upper-end" light that I use. Hope this helps.

sovereign

Newly Enlightened
I want an M3T! But, should I wait until the regulated version comes out??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made my decision today. MN60. Spending too much on lights, gotta cut back, so if I can have only one lamp I might as well make it a practical choice. The MN61 is awesome but not as practical due to its runtime.

Will keep you guys posted on my evaluation of the MN60 when it gets here.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned all three, and still have the M4 and M6 (two M6's actually). If I could recommend just one, it would be the M6 without a doubt. The Blackhawk pouch/holster I have for it is great too. Get the M6, you won't regret it.

-Keith