Mag / Craftsman 2-D + GH24: New reflector needed?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I have an old Maglite 2-D (actually, the Craftsman knockoff) that's currently using 2 Elektrolumens 3AA-to-D battery holders and a KPR-118 Radio Shack bulb. Better than the stock setup, but nothing all that special.

I'm thinking about purchasing some Reflectalite GH24 bulbs to use instead of the KPR-118, powered by 6 NiMH AAs.

Will the GH24 melt the reflector?

The reason I ask is that I can't figure out how to open the head to swap out the lens and reflector. Is the seam sealed with Loctite or something?

If the stock reflector is OK, then all is well.

If I need an aluminum reflector, does anybody know how to open up the Craftsman D Tool light head? (Yes, I'm a noob)

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I plan to order them from the manufacturer (Reflectalite), which is located in Great Britain.

http://www.reflectalite.com/halogenpage.html

They're $6.40 each.
Shipping (to any destination worldwide) is $3.20 per order.
They accept Paypal.

http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html

I was thinking about getting a UK SL6 (200 lumens output, running on 6 C cells), but I figured for the $36 I'd pay for the SL6 I could buy 5 GH24 bulbs and not have to retire the trusty old 2-D flashlight.

OK, I've tried twisting the end of the head off with a strap wrench, without success. If there's a seam, I don't see it. Did they loctite the seam?

If the head is a one-piece assembly, how did they get that reflector in there? Was it built inside the head by little magic gnomes, like those ships-in-a-bottle? Does the lens just snap off? I'll be disappointed/embarrassed if that's the case, and I'm a little afraid to start prying at the lens until I know that's the correct answer.

For those who have no idea what the GH24 fuss is about:

Reflectalite GH24 Test

If you're curious about the Ikelite bulb mentioned in the thread linked above, it sounds like it's an iffy proposition:

Ikelite PCa Bulb Results

If I have to get an aluminum reflector to use the GH24, I figure I might as well go all out and order the stuff to assemble a Mag60 mod, and let the kids blind each other with the Mag 2-D. (yes, I'm raising flashaholic children...)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: Mag / Craftsman 2-D + GH24: New reflector need

I am using GH24 in my 2D Mag with newer 3toD's, however I use a PMR reflector (aluminum), orange peel texture. I read here in forum that Mag reflector can stand 10 watts intermittant use with out problems, however 7.2-8.4 volts or so X 1.70 amp draw will equal 12-14 watts. Not sure plastic reflector will take that for long.

Bill

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

Thanks.

Anybody know how the get to swap out the lens and reflector on this darn Craftsman 2-D flashlight? No luck trying to find the info on Google...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill - What kind of runtime are you looking at with your setup???

Dave

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Hook'd,

The wattage rating is greater than 12W so I'd recommend an aluminum reflector. The Mag plastic reflector took about 7 minutes to register damage from an 18-19W bulb (WA01183) so you might have longer than that.

I did an analysis of the Dorcy body some time back. Maybe this will be of help to you.

Analysis of the Craftsman Dorcy D-body

Wilkey

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
What? It\'s a *DORCY*?

Once again, Wilkey demonstrates his encyclopaedic knowledge of all incandescent luminescents! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

So, the Craftsman isn't a rebranded Maglite at all. That explains why my searches for +Craftsman +Mag* turned up nothing.

I wonder why I can't get the facecap off... Oh well, it doesn't matter, since there's no point in trying to mod it any further anyway.

I guess I'll slather a bunch of glow paint all over the rebranded Dorcy and give it to the kids.

Mag60, here I come! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I see Magchargers are going for $84.99 at Amazon.Com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002N6SM/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-1313843-2499068?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=AH03H17UH4ZBE&v=glance

Thanks *again*, Wilkey! Cute kid, by the way.