Getting a new pellet stove this weekend

Brock

Flashaholic
They shouldn't make any smell. We burn wood in a Jotul oslo and you can never smell anything unless the door is open and we are adding wood. Since yours feeds it's self you probably won't smell a thing.

Actually when you first fire it up you will most likely think your house is on fire. I had a nice haze and burning smell, but after the first burn or two it went away. They say this is normal burning off the excess paint and oils left from manufacturing.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a regular wood burning stove, but do have two thoughts. Remember that your auger (pellet feed mechanism) needs electricity to run. If your power goes out, the auger will stop. I think most manufacturers have come out with a backup battery of some sort to address this. If they don't, I would look into it more to see what your options are. Maybe a deep cycle RV battery in the garage on a trickle charger and a power inverter that you could bring into the house and plug the auger into if needed.

Also, after talking to people who do have pellet stoves, they say to get quality pellets. They say they see a difference between cheap ones and more expensive good ones.

As for odor, like Brock said....probably not much.

RH

Enlightened
Our pellet stove was just deliverd last Thursday...not even installed yet. Our friends have one and it doesn't give off any smell. Just lots of heat!