How to store Ni-MHs?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering how you guys store your rechargables? I just have them in a drawer until they are installed for use. My charger doesn't have trickle charge but I don't know if that's the best way to treat them anyway.

Ideas, suggestions, comments?
TIA,
LT

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I suggest storing them upright in a dark, dry place.

Er, seriously, I usually store them in someplace moderately protected container such as a Pelican case or in a drawer where the cells won't get shorted or be subject to damage.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have no idea if you should or not, but I charge them after use and toss them in a plastic container and charge again before I put them in something. Although I use them regularly enough that one set is in the charger and the other couple of sets are in use as swap them as they are used. I usually have four sitting in one of my 401's green and ready to go.

RussH

Enlightened
Storage? Whats that? I try to cycle through mine (Nimh) about once a month to avoid problems due to the high self-discharge rate. At around a 75F room temperature, the discharge rate exceeds 1% PER DAY, or 30%/month. I have about 50 AAs, mostly duracell, and I almost always have a set in one or more chargers. I do use smart chargers and they do ocasionally get left on tricle charge, sometimes for a day or two, but I could avoid that without too much trouble. A couple of my radios are set up to charge batteries in the radio, but this is usually not a smart charge, so it is a seldom used option. I keep some alkaline AAs for backup or use on long trips where I don't want to carry a charger.

I still have some usable NiCads (mostly 2000mah C size) but I just charge them when I need them. Or use AAs in a homemade adaptor. Nicads aren't hurt by leaving them to self-discharge (there is no memory effect, hasn't been for over 20 years, except possibly under extremely unusual conditions that probably should be called something else). Fully discharged is probably the best way to store Nicads, but NiMHs last longest when stored partly (usually around 50%) discharged. Allowing them to self discharge for 1-2 months is the best way to achieve that charge level.

Would you be interested in my recommendations on gell cells or other forms of VRLA batteries?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to use all that I have, with only just a few spares to replace the occasional dropped or reversed cell, so I'm not out a whole set if one fails or gets killed.

Delkal

Newly Enlightened
I keep batteries in holders or a small box to avoid them being dented or accidentally shorted. I had a NIMH AA battery that somehow self discharged by itself. It was just sitting on my dining room table when I found it the next day. It charred the wood and was stuck to the paint!. Ever since then I have been worried about the potential for fires.

Be careful with rechargeables.

Delkal

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Russ,

A point of clarification:

The discharge rate of 1% per day means that 1% of the remaining charge is lost. It is not a flat rate. At the end of 30 days, you would actually only have lost 25%.

It takes about 70 days to get down to 50%, and 139 days to get down to 25% of the original charge.

Tom

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it's OK to leave them out until use. Well that's good. I was worried that they'd lose juice and then with each recharge be losing capacity; something akin to memory effect.