grr more vechlcle problems

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok toyota coralla s dead had metal parts n tranny pan.found frend a 87 toyota pickup with 22r motor .but he is like me n not have much money so t was hceap 300 bucks. we dorve it like 200 miles last nght ran great to he let foot of acelerater and it would back fire. it dont have muff;er but im not sure if that will cause back fire when acelter was relased or not.any ideas?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie check the air diverter valve and vacuum hoses. Also check for vacuum leaks and check the air injection system for faulty hoses, frozen pump etc. Get a muffler.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most cars wil backfire or rumble without a muffler or a leaking exhaust system. Its a lack of back pressure. Excess fuel in the system cause that otherwise.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool thanks for advce everyone.man prefare fuel injection . or regler carbs this carb looks wierd.im hopeing something from corola will fit the trucks motor

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
probably a throttle body fuel injection system

[/ QUOTE ]nah its a regler carb i mean its not fuel injected .

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh 1987 car- not the 92 you worked on a while ago.
I have a friend who has a 88 toyota with a carb.
it is a small carb with a lot of vacume lines
16 valve engine

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah id thoght they wold of done away with carbs in 87.carbs stunk in the late 70.s and 80,s.trying to make em burn cleaner with so much garbage.i may try to find a old carb that jsut has a vacum line for vacum advance and thats it,

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bad does it backfire? If its just a rumbling, then its likely lack of back pressure or exhaust leak, exhaust manufold. If it sounds like gun shots, then yes, you got some carb work you need to do.

I dont know about you guys, but I dont consider TBI, Trottle body injection fuel injection. That is more of a modified carb in my opinion. I consider fuel injection to contain injectors to the cylinders or even a fuel rail.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hmmmnn its hard to expalin kinda a rubleing backefire in exhaust is there a unversal carb that wil;l fit a 22r motor? i mean there has to be like milions a 22r motors out there id like a basic carb the one at auto zone is like 240

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
fix the exhaust and then worry about the backfiring.
it may become a non issue when the exhaust leaks are fixed.