M@G74! Need a little advise too.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Assembled my Mag74, tested it at home one night and outdoors during my previous night shift, encountered some problems with condensation.

The configuration is Mag2D with 8AA-2D battery adaptor, running on 7 GP1600 AA cells plus one dummy AA, potted WA1274 bulb, borofloat lens and Fivemega cammed aluminum reflector.

After turning on the light for about 5 minutes, it gets so hot inside the light and I can see the reflector fogging up and when I turn off the light, the lens gets fogged up too and after it cools, condensation sets on the lens on the inside and finally I get small water droplets.

Anyone can chip in an idea or two on how can I resolve the condensation problem?

Also, there seems to be pressure built up from within the light when the light turns on, coz after a while, the rubber button of the magswitch will get 'pop out', as if the air from within had pushed it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanx in advance.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jackl,

There was a loose discussion about this some time ago. No final determination was reached IIRC.

The WA01274 is a hot bulb and hot bulbs do cause fogging inside the head. I find it sometimes helps to run the light for a few minutes with the facecap and lens off. You should see fogging on the reflector and then this should fade as it heats up. Stick the facecap/lens back on then. I think this helps by purging some moisture from the surfaces. It sometimes also fades if you run it for a longer time.

About the switch cover bulging, I've never noticed this. Wow, strange.

So how was the output and light quality?

Wilkey

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I see, I will try that, thanx Wilkey. Light quality is good with the cammed MOP and the throw is superb, what can I say for 500+ lumens? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Walked into a dark room and 'ceiling bounced' it without people realising, people thought the room have got motion senser E-ballasted lights coz the room just lighted up without a flicker when entered. Its actually the Mag74 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just another question if you don't mind, I am using a bolt screw with the lenght of a AA cell and wrapped with duct tape as my dummy cell, is this good or will this cause a higher resistance builtup?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not bad. I used steel or aluminum rod cut to length but that should be fine.

Wilkey

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
I have the same problem with my potted 01160, however the strange thing is.. it seems that my MC60 does not suffer from this at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
The configuration is Mag2D with 8AA-2D battery adaptor, running on 7 GP1600 AA cells plus one dummy AA, potted WA1274 bulb, borofloat lens and Fivemega cammed aluminum reflector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats better with a 2D light:
Is the 1274 bulb brighter/whiter with 7 cells than a only slightly overdriven WA1185 on 8 cells?