Maxpedition - Bags and Packs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so what is it with Arc's?

Unenlightened

Default Ok, so what is it with Arc\'s?

This is going to be yet another stupid question. Sorry about that. Hope you'll bear with me...

It seems to me that Arc flashlights are often mentioned here in a way that would seem to indicate that they are somehow superior to other flashlights. (Especially the Arc AAA...) Now, if some could please give an objective explanation to what makes these so much better than their competition?

(Hmm... I'm getting that "uh-oh, now how am I going to get these worms back into this can?!?"-feeling... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Sorry guys, I just have to know!)

Default Re: Ok, so what is it with Arc\'s?

Arc AAA - Smaller, brighter, more robust than anything of its class.

Mostly MIA Administrator

Yeah!!! Beter delete this post before somone like Saaby, Darell, Peter Gransee, Craig, or anyone else for that matter (If you were not mentioned by name please do not be offended) sees it!

Arc flashlights are bright, reliable, and nearly indestructable...they don't look half bad either. Lets take the Arc AAA for example...in comparison to it's next real world (Not CPF) competator, the Mag solitare...the Arc offers:

Longer life, I've had mine well over a month now, I use it every day...a lot, it's still on the origional battery. Lots of people collect olf batteries around the house because it will eat them up and use them for weeks and weeks.

LED, no bulb--it's brighter, whiter, and a heck more durrable. Throw, I mean really throw, an Arc and a Mag solitare at the ground and tell me which one still works?

It's also much smaller. Doesn't look much smaller, but it is...

Now, for the pictures!

This is the little saying I came up with before--

This is your brain

This is your brain on drugs

Any questions?

Hint--the sick looking light isn't an Arc.

Ok lets drop another good thing about them--they're waterproof. Period. IF you could go down in the water far enough, the battery would fail before the light itself would. The seals on the flashlight will fial eventually, causing water to get into the battery compartment, but the light continues to operate like it was dry as a bone.

Now to bring it to a close...

You need an Arc AAA. Need

Oh yeah, welcome ot CPF [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mostly MIA Administrator

Wait, no, if you LOVE your Arc raise your hand...

Mostly MIA Administrator

Mostly MIA Administrator

(Get the picture?)

Say Ryan,

Does your Mag vs Arc look like this and that?

YC

Mostly MIA Administrator

Yes <cringe>

Flashaholic

Who is this Arc company? Do they make flashlights? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mostly MIA Administrator

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Ok, so the ARC AAA is better than the maglite AAA...but it's still 3 times bigger than the Photon 3 that I keep on my keychain. I can't imagine having something that big on my keychain (the idea being that it's able to fit in one's pants pocket). Besides that, it takes 2 hands to turn it on or off, forcing you to put down whatever was in your other hand (the thing that needs the light shined on it). And the icing on the cake is more than twice the runtime for a Photon vs. ARC AAA. Don't get me wrong...I think the ARC is a great product with excellent craftsmanship, but it's not my first choice when compared to other lights in the same category. So everyone's entitled to their own opinons, just remember to take each of them with a grain of salt. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers!

Mostly MIA Administrator

Plinko...friendly debate here, nothing hostile, but do you own an Arc AAA? Let's look (friendly here) at some of the things you say:

but it's still 3 times bigger than the Photon 3 that I keep on my keychain...
    Yes and no...either way it's dang tiny! Some people carry it in their watch pocket, I carry it on a belt loop--having it on my keys makes it too inaccessable. Since they're different "form factors" if you will, it's kinda like (size wise) comparing bananas to oranges.

Besides that, it takes 2 hands to turn it on or off...

No it doesn't. I never (Well, hardly ever [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) use 2 hands to turn mine on.

). And the icing on the cake is more than twice the runtime for a Photon vs. ARC AAA.
    Yes and no...buying locally the batteries for the Photon cost plenty more than the AAA the Arc knows and loves. I can buy a $1 package of "heavy duty" batteries and run my Arc happily for months, or I can do as I am doing now--running it off dead batteries out of my dads Palm VIIx...running cost $0.

Not sure where it fits in, but remember the Arc is almost fully regulated too--Photons are brighter at first but the Arc will stay brighter longer.

Lots of people here carry a Photon on their keys and an Arc in their pocket, or also on their keys. If I want a keychain light that does all sorts of fancy stuff the Photon III fits the bill perfectly. In fact a Photon is better for lots of things I suppose, if I am just looking for a keyhole on my car I think I might be more inclined to squeeze something than to have to twist a head. In short, IIHO Photons are great...when they have an Arc AAA to keep them company.

So theres my salt [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well written, I agree, I love my photons and I love my Arc..even if nobody else agrees. Actually they are in two different categories. The Arc is an everday user and the photon I use for back-up. Both great lights.

I use to go through photons or others like it very quickly they just don't hold up to abuse. But the Arc will still be on my key chain in Ten years or maybe twenty.

Best "keychain" lights.... ARC AAA or Photon II.

So...how to decide?

One word: Usage

If you only use your keychain light "occasionally" (say for..30 minutes a month tops), for reading a program at the theater, finding keyholes, rummaging around behind a desk or under a cabinet for a lost pen; then the Photon II is the lightest, brightest, easiest to use. You'll hardly notice it on your keychain but it will be there when you need it.

If, on the other hand, you use your keychain light a lot, your job is wiring computers or such and you are always needing to look into a dark cabinet, wiring closet or into a dark box of stuff looking for things...say you have it on for an hour a week; then the ARC is clearly the best.

Why?

Cost (and ease of battery change).

At a half hour a month, the Photon II's 12 hr. battery life will last 2 years. Cost is not much of an issue spread over that much time.

Most Photon IIs use 2 of the 2016 coin cells ($2 at Walmart) $4 a "load" for 12 hrs of light.

The ARC AAA uses (of course) a single AAA (about $.50 at Walmart).

So, let's round down the Photon's life to 10 hrs (it get's dimmer so some might agree this is fair).

1 Photon load @ $4 = 10 hrs of light.
    2 ARC AAA loads @ $1 = 10 hrs of light.

Hmmm. Photon is 4 times as expensive.

Now, I know you can find all kinds of battery prices on eBay and the web for batteries. I usually wait for the sale at Walgreens; 4 alkaline AAAs for $1. Usually there is no local way to get coin cells really cheap.

So...what do I carry since I am so thrifty minded?

Most of the time I carry a red Photon II (120 hr life from one $2 battery...not 2). When I go on vacation and might use my light more, I carry a turquoise ARC AAA. I've yet to change the battery, so even that doesn't get used hugely (after all, 5 hrs of light is a lot of light when you camp in the summer and it is light until after 9 pm).

You know, I get really obsessed about the efficiency of things (I got my degree in Industrial Engineering...the "efficiency guys"). I realized later (after I researched the Photons 6 ways from Sunday) that the red Photon II will probably still be putting out that little bit of occasional keychain light long after I'm dead...so it probably is a little "over optimized".

Sorry for the lengthy post...maybe entertaining for similarly minded efficiency guys!

Mostly MIA Administrator

But I might like to add (I'm not trying to be defensive, of wait...yes I am) that I have used my Arc more often that I did my Mag solitare, just because the Arc is, well, better...so if you're carrying one of those beasts around do yourself a favor and ditch it, or do a LED mod on it anyway.

BTY, you gotta buy in bulk, Lowes, 24 Arc AAA loads at $10 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Wow, I didnt know the ARC AAA was so cool a light. It sounds like this is a must have for a flashaholic maniac like myself. I'll hafta get one soon. Only problem is I bought 6 lights this month - so far.
    --ug

Cool Daddy Administrator

Originally posted by Tony from Finland:
    Now, if some could please give an objective explanation to what makes these so much better than their competition?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oops, that disqualifies me to comment, I guess [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Man, just look at this. I don't have to say anything anymore!

Here's the deal Tony. There really isn't much in the way of competition with the Arc AAA. But I own what's out there: The Photons, various knock-offs, and the CMG Infinity and Ultra. I use them all for many things. But I use the Arc the most. The regulation, the cheap batteries and the insane durability is what keeps an Arc AAA around my neck every day. It isn't a case of "no other light will do." But I personally find the Arc AAA to be the single most useful light that I own.

Durn, Darell. I hate to agree with anyone on so many accounts. I don't own all of them, but I do have the Solitaire and the Inova keychain lights. They all have their +'s, but owning is believing. The Arc AAA is superior in craftmanship, functionality (is that a word?), and brightness, IMHO. I just have the v3.1, but I'm sold. As a serious camper, hiker, and biker, I've put some (not all) lights to the test, and this one (Arc AAA) is a star.

Originally posted by jtivat:
    I use to go through photons or others like it very quickly they just don't hold up to abuse. But the Arc will still be on my key chain in Ten years or maybe twenty.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for reminding me. We talk so much about batteries and beam that I sometimes take for granted the toughness of my Arc.
    Put a Photon and an Arc on the pavement.
    Run over them with a car. Repeat a few times.
    Turn them on. Any bets on the one that will light?

Im probably sure both will survive, the photon is a tough little flashlight, I have both, but I ARC is on my keychain because everyone else ( ravers, non CPF members ) has the Photon or a Photon knock off. Oh and, maybe im just not good with tools, because I could never get my Photon to work right again after I changed the batteries.

"Objective" is tough on this topic.

The Arc is a great LED light. Much better on a keychain than a mag solitaire, no doubt. As ikendu said, "usage" is the key.

I carry one photon light on my keychain. That's all I usually carry EDC. I only need it on rare occasion (the batteries get more worn down by me flashing it in people's eyes than anything else) so the battery life and cost isn't a big deal.

IF I used it every day (looking around in dark places as part of my job or something) I wouldn't hesitate to use the Arc. Likewise for camping or some other event where I couldn't change the photon batteries in a controlled environment. Arc AAA would be the obvious choice for a small pocket light in those circumstances.

Cool Daddy Administrator

Originally posted by virgo:
    Durn, Darell. I hate to agree with anyone on so many accounts.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry about that. I know it's tough... especially when you realize how much respect you'll lose by agreeing with the likes of me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention that I've owned some Solitaires too. I guess I should edit them into my previous post. But the truth is, I've never actually used the Solitaires for anything. I could never find a real use for them... except as a novelty. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Photons are pretty tough, it is true. But the tiny little screws on the first models were quite a booger, weren't they? And of course the I and II aren't waterproof. I like the Photons, and use them as zipper pulls, etc. I simply prefer to use a light that remains bright for much longer.

2 more posts, and Darell joins Craig in the 3000 club.

Mostly MIA Administrator

Wow! What perfect timing I have [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've carried a Photon III for a while now, and I intend to order a ARC AAA this week - why? The darned PIII gets turned on in my pocket from the other stuff leaning on it, and the batteries are getting used up that way!

Originally posted by Charles Gallo:
    I've carried a Photon III for a while now, and I intend to order a ARC AAA this week - why? The darned PIII gets turned on in my pocket from the other stuff leaning on it, and the batteries are getting used up that way!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep. That's why I stopped carrying the P3.

Flashaholic*

As an avid ARC fan, (I own two, the CPF edition, and the 3.1 LE edition, and will purchase any future LE edition, if Peter even hints that it will give out more light!)

I really like my ARC AAA and will not substitute it for any other single LED light out there, for EDC on my keychain.

Now, while small, I understand the comments about how "big" it is compared to other very tiny LED lights. Until I figured how to mount it on my keychain via a tiny "ball chain" loop, that you have seen a million times (I bought 4 of them for like a dollar or two, at a key display at wal-mart), I did not fully appreciate the ARC either.

Now I find myself using the light several times a week, and I am glad that I have the extra "omph" that the ARC AAA provides.

I also like knowing that if I use the ARC AAA for 2 or three hours, I don't have to worry about diminishing brightness, or running home and changing the battery. HOWEVER, changing the battery is something I do more often than I should, because the single AAA battery that the ARC AAA uses, is way cheap! I think 3.50 or so for eight, at Wal-mart! Compare that to the 6-8 dollars for the two coin cell 2016 that you would pay for at radio shack. Also remember that the ARC gives CONSTANT BRIGHTNESS for most of the battery life. Every other coin cell light does not.

Now, with all that said, I will tell you of my "other" favorite light, that I give to friends.

It is the inova Microlight. Here is a pic:

On the other side of this light, is a "constant on" switch, so you can either squeeze this light on, or use the very easy "constant on" switch, by just flicking your thumb.

This light is like adding just one more key on you keyring. I just compared the two a second ago, and the ARC is brighter, blue-er, and wider than the Inova Microlight (the Microlight is a more natural white than the arc!). In comparing the two, the ARC is the one that I would want to have in any dark situation.

However, to give out as gifts, the arc is more expensive, and the Microlight fits with a smaller profile on your keychain.

So, in summary, for flashoholics, or anyone finding themselves using a light more than once a week, the ARC AAA, no doubt! But the inova Microlight is a nice "flashoholic gift!"

Now let me be perfectly clear, I much much much much prefer my ARC AA to my Inova Microlight, but for gift giving, or for where space / weight is at a VERY VERY VERY VERY premium, the Inova Microlight is a very nice alternative.

Let me state again, that the ARC is my favorite, and my only EDC light, but the Microlight is a nice second.

I must say that the Arc is one of the things that changed my life. Unlike other LED lights, it has a reflector. It's very very durable, waterproof, and uses cheap AAA's. I just gave the Arc a torture test; it passed with flying colors. As I mentioned a few days ago, my Arc outshines a 3 LED Batonlite-knockoff.