Ok, so what is it with Arc's?

Tony from Finland

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so what is it with Arc\'s?

This is going to be yet another stupid question. Sorry about that. Hope you'll bear with me...

It seems to me that Arc flashlights are often mentioned here in a way that would seem to indicate that they are somehow superior to other flashlights. (Especially the Arc AAA...) Now, if some could please give an objective explanation to what makes these so much better than their competition?

(Hmm... I'm getting that "uh-oh, now how am I going to get these worms back into this can?!?"-feeling...
tongue.gif
Sorry guys, I just have to know!)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Ok, so what is it with Arc\'s?

Yeah!!! Beter delete this post before somone like Saaby, Darell, Peter Gransee, Craig, or anyone else for that matter (If you were not mentioned by name please do not be offended) sees it!

Arc flashlights are bright, reliable, and nearly indestructable...they don't look half bad either. Lets take the Arc AAA for example...in comparison to it's next real world (Not CPF) competator, the Mag solitare...the Arc offers:

Longer life, I've had mine well over a month now, I use it every day...a lot, it's still on the origional battery. Lots of people collect olf batteries around the house because it will eat them up and use them for weeks and weeks.

LED, no bulb--it's brighter, whiter, and a heck more durrable. Throw, I mean really throw, an Arc and a Mag solitare at the ground and tell me which one still works?

It's also much smaller. Doesn't look much smaller, but it is...

Now, for the pictures!

This is the little saying I came up with before--

This is your brain
x.gif

This is your brain on drugs
y.gif

Any questions?
z.gif

Hint--the sick looking light isn't an Arc.

Ok lets drop another good thing about them--they're waterproof. Period. IF you could go down in the water far enough, the battery would fail before the light itself would. The seals on the flashlight will fial eventually, causing water to get into the battery compartment, but the light continues to operate like it was dry as a bone.

Now to bring it to a close...

You need an Arc AAA. Need

Oh yeah, welcome ot CPF
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Wait, no, if you LOVE your Arc raise your hand...

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

wavey.gif

Plinko

Newly Enlightened

Ok, so the ARC AAA is better than the maglite AAA...but it's still 3 times bigger than the Photon 3 that I keep on my keychain. I can't imagine having something that big on my keychain (the idea being that it's able to fit in one's pants pocket). Besides that, it takes 2 hands to turn it on or off, forcing you to put down whatever was in your other hand (the thing that needs the light shined on it). And the icing on the cake is more than twice the runtime for a Photon vs. ARC AAA. Don't get me wrong...I think the ARC is a great product with excellent craftsmanship, but it's not my first choice when compared to other lights in the same category. So everyone's entitled to their own opinons, just remember to take each of them with a grain of salt.
wink.gif

Cheers!

Saaby

Flashaholic

Plinko...friendly debate here, nothing hostile, but do you own an Arc AAA? Let's look (friendly here) at some of the things you say:

but it's still 3 times bigger than the Photon 3 that I keep on my keychain...
Yes and no...either way it's dang tiny! Some people carry it in their watch pocket, I carry it on a belt loop--having it on my keys makes it too inaccessable. Since they're different "form factors" if you will, it's kinda like (size wise) comparing bananas to oranges.

Besides that, it takes 2 hands to turn it on or off...

No it doesn't. I never (Well, hardly ever
wink.gif
) use 2 hands to turn mine on.

). And the icing on the cake is more than twice the runtime for a Photon vs. ARC AAA.
Yes and no...buying locally the batteries for the Photon cost plenty more than the AAA the Arc knows and loves. I can buy a $1 package of "heavy duty" batteries and run my Arc happily for months, or I can do as I am doing now--running it off dead batteries out of my dads Palm VIIx...running cost $0.

Not sure where it fits in, but remember the Arc is almost fully regulated too--Photons are brighter at first but the Arc will stay brighter longer.

Lots of people here carry a Photon on their keys and an Arc in their pocket, or also on their keys. If I want a keychain light that does all sorts of fancy stuff the Photon III fits the bill perfectly. In fact a Photon is better for lots of things I suppose, if I am just looking for a keyhole on my car I think I might be more inclined to squeeze something than to have to twist a head. In short, IIHO Photons are great...when they have an Arc AAA to keep them company.

So theres my salt
grin.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well written, I agree, I love my photons and I love my Arc..even if nobody else agrees. Actually they are in two different categories. The Arc is an everday user and the photon I use for back-up. Both great lights.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use to go through photons or others like it very quickly they just don't hold up to abuse. But the Arc will still be on my key chain in Ten years or maybe twenty.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Best "keychain" lights.... ARC AAA or Photon II.

So...how to decide?

One word: Usage

If you only use your keychain light "occasionally" (say for..30 minutes a month tops), for reading a program at the theater, finding keyholes, rummaging around behind a desk or under a cabinet for a lost pen; then the Photon II is the lightest, brightest, easiest to use. You'll hardly notice it on your keychain but it will be there when you need it.

If, on the other hand, you use your keychain light a lot, your job is wiring computers or such and you are always needing to look into a dark cabinet, wiring closet or into a dark box of stuff looking for things...say you have it on for an hour a week; then the ARC is clearly the best.

Why?

Cost (and ease of battery change).

At a half hour a month, the Photon II's 12 hr. battery life will last 2 years. Cost is not much of an issue spread over that much time.

Most Photon IIs use 2 of the 2016 coin cells ($2 at Walmart) $4 a "load" for 12 hrs of light.

The ARC AAA uses (of course) a single AAA (about $.50 at Walmart).

So, let's round down the Photon's life to 10 hrs (it get's dimmer so some might agree this is fair).

1 Photon load @ $4 = 10 hrs of light.
2 ARC AAA loads @ $1 = 10 hrs of light.

Hmmm. Photon is 4 times as expensive.

Now, I know you can find all kinds of battery prices on eBay and the web for batteries. I usually wait for the sale at Walgreens; 4 alkaline AAAs for $1. Usually there is no local way to get coin cells really cheap.

So...what do I carry since I am so thrifty minded?

Most of the time I carry a red Photon II (120 hr life from one $2 battery...not 2). When I go on vacation and might use my light more, I carry a turquoise ARC AAA. I've yet to change the battery, so even that doesn't get used hugely (after all, 5 hrs of light is a lot of light when you camp in the summer and it is light until after 9 pm).

You know, I get really obsessed about the efficiency of things (I got my degree in Industrial Engineering...the "efficiency guys"). I realized later (after I researched the Photons 6 ways from Sunday) that the red Photon II will probably still be putting out that little bit of occasional keychain light long after I'm dead...so it probably is a little "over optimized".

Sorry for the lengthy post...maybe entertaining for similarly minded efficiency guys!

Saaby

Flashaholic

But I might like to add (I'm not trying to be defensive, of wait...yes I am) that I have used my Arc more often that I did my Mag solitare, just because the Arc is, well, better...so if you're carrying one of those beasts around do yourself a favor and ditch it, or do a LED mod on it anyway.

BTY, you gotta buy in bulk, Lowes, 24 Arc AAA loads at $10
wink.gif

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened

Wow, I didnt know the ARC AAA was so cool a light. It sounds like this is a must have for a flashaholic maniac like myself. I'll hafta get one soon. Only problem is I bought 6 lights this month - so far.
--Ðøug
cool_shades.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Tony from Finland:
Now, if some could please give an objective explanation to what makes these so much better than their competition?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oops, that disqualifies me to comment, I guess
rolleyes.gif

Man, just look at this. I don't have to say anything anymore!

Here's the deal Tony. There really isn't much in the way of competition with the Arc AAA. But I own what's out there: The Photons, various knock-offs, and the CMG Infinity and Ultra. I use them all for many things. But I use the Arc the most. The regulation, the cheap batteries and the insane durability is what keeps an Arc AAA around my neck every day. It isn't a case of "no other light will do." But I personally find the Arc AAA to be the single most useful light that I own.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Durn, Darell. I hate to agree with anyone on so many accounts. I don't own all of them, but I do have the Solitaire and the Inova keychain lights. They all have their +'s, but owning is believing. The Arc AAA is superior in craftmanship, functionality (is that a word?), and brightness, IMHO. I just have the v3.1, but I'm sold. As a serious camper, hiker, and biker, I've put some (not all) lights to the test, and this one (Arc AAA) is a star.