Ok, where do I purchase a "dummy AA Cell"

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, where do I purchase a \"dummy AA Cell\"

Went to Radio Shack and they told me they used to carry them but no longer do and quit doing so a year or two ago the Sales Associate told me. Does anybody else know where one might be able to purchase one? I know you probably can make one but that route seems kind of primitive to me... Please Advise.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ok, where do I purchase a \"dummy AA Cell\"

Perhaps get a battery draining device or simply a light that sucks the battery dry, leave it on while your at work, come back home later on, and there you have your dummy batt. If you want it to look like a real dummy batt., strip off the covering to make it bare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Of course it will probably leak or something after a while.... Just make new ones every month!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jaids

Enlightened

But wont it have a high internal resistance?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

cmon I was kidding.

jaids

Enlightened

sorry I took you seriously, jeez /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

hold it does that mean that My "idea" might work? wow, its like the guy who invented rubber. (didnt know what he was doing and invented something in the process) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbev

Newly Enlightened

Up there with spray painting a piece of wood with aluminum colored paint.

red_robby

Enlightened

just get some thick gauge wire from home depot or maybe another electrical supplier, the insulation really varies
but you probably want #3-#1 AWG wire.
you'll have almost no resistance that way.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

To Jbev:Wha??? dont understand what you mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jaids

Enlightened

He's saying that it would work as well as spray painting a piece of wood silver.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jaids said:
He's saying that it would work as well as spray painting a piece of wood silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with wrapping an AA cell in foil, it will work jus fine. I've done it several times. The only problem is it may start to leak after a while...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I found one at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=261&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=7&doy=22m11

The one I have in my hand came with a Radio Shack hand held CB. It has no part number. It's a cast aluminum or zinc rod with clear shrink wrap around it. The sides have been cut away to a thin bar to minimize materials. It looks like this;

dummy.jpg

Making one from a bolt, dowel, nail, metal rod, etc are all time honored methods. You can even make one by rolling aluminum foil into a rod and then wrapping the outside in scotch tape.

If you make a dummy, make sure that you insulate the length and leave the ends uninsulated. You should only use it nearest the endcap if you have any doubts at all about the insulation (usually tape) that you used. If you put it nearest the head of the light and it shorts out to the tube you can end up with burned up batteries.

Daniel

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

At first I tried shorting a "dead" AA cell by soldering the positive end as Mags_suk jokingly suggested and the battery leaked due to the high heat of the soldering iron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I got the idea from my coworker who claimed to made one b4 like this.

Then I tried making my dummy cell using wooden rods with 3/16" copper grounding wires goind thru the center but it looked but ugly as i tried to flatten the copper to make the flat button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The final attempt was using aluminum rods with shrink wrap. IMHO, it looks alot better and could also double as a battery heat sink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want I can make couple of them for you, if you pay for the materials & shipping. But I suggest you making your own, more gratification that way.

=== How to with common household tools ===
0. Drop by Home Depot or Lowes and pick up the parts.
1. Just use a hacksaw to cut it to length (50mm or 1.9685") since Al is fairly soft.
2. File or sand down the corner so it becomes nice and smooth
3. Cut the shrink wrap to 1mm less than your cell.
4. Insert the dummy cell into the shink wrap and heat it up using a hair dryer. And VOILA.

=== Parts list ===
1/2"x3' Aluminum rod (~$8)
1/2" clear shrink wrap (~$2)

dummy2.jpg

dummy1.jpg

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Bought some off ebay awhile back, just a metal rod through solid plastic casing. I used to drill through wood dowels and stick a large penny nail through it, mail head was the negative and trim/file the point down to make the positive nubbin. You are basically creating a straight metal path with the sides insulated is all. Even wrapping endless lengths of tape around a large nail of the right length would work, just build it up until you have the right diameter.

jbev

Newly Enlightened

Sorry about the paint comment. I knew a guy that when to school with me who actually believed me when I said that "anything that's the same color as metal will conduct like metal." I hope nobody here actually tried that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

As far as just using foil. That really is a plausible solution as long as you insulate the sides. Otherwise the dummy cell will have a nasty tendency to short itself out to the walls of metal lights. Depending on where the cell is and how the light is wired, this may or may not be a real problem.

I'm surprised that no one has had a run of these made out of delrin or something. That would probably interest a few people.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually have 3 AA dummy cells [plastic outer with the metal inner core] that I'm not using, but I keep them just in case I might need them for something. But, then I don't have that many AA lights anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

CCrane.com had them for awhile on their website, but I can't seem to find them now.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's where I got mine from. . . . . that was quite a while ago.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have some extra dummy AA cells from the UBH run, made of Delrin with a solid aluminum bar through the centre. Email me to inquire, please.