Magcharger 85 - I did it

scrappy

Enlightened
I'm not much of a "modder" and I never will be... but I managed to mod my magcharger with 1160 bulb into a .... MAG85.... wow it is a monster. I used the 3AA-D rev 2 adaptors, 9 powerex 2200 mah batts, a PMR, and a bi-pin 1185.... it scorches the earth it touches. I LOVE it. Ginseng - thanks for pointing me to your posts, they were a big help, now I am on such a high I may have to buy a soldering iron and start some real mods....

Rich

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
Congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You have acomplished what i will too some day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Are you going to make beamshots?
Btw is the MC85 much more stunning even after you are used to the MC60?

scrappy

Enlightened
Well...with no equipment to do any testing... I can say that yes it is stunning even after the MC60. Although this MC will revert to the MC60 after I get my modified carley reflectors from the June group buy, and my mag 3D will become my new Mag85. But yes, it was amazing to look at, I have one acre in my backyard and this thing filled up most of it from my deck. It was a little piece of sunshine in my hand.

Rich.

P.S. Beamshots.... I don't have a digital camera or anything to help so No. Sorry Stealth... I'm sure someone else will have some though. Good luck with your build

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
Ok thanks anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Have fun with your new photonthrower /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations Scrappy,

You've built a very nice little cannon. It's the peak of what can easily be done with the MagCharger. You'll notice that it is definitely and visibly brighter than the MC60. Step to 2100 or 2000 mAh cells and it'll be brighter still and run for about the same time.

Have fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wheeeeeee! Light'em up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
I have another question if you dont mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
With the MC85, do you get more of a 'beam' effect when you shine it in the sky?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is foggy or misty, most definitely. The seachlight effect.

Wilkey

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do three Elektrolumens v2 3-to-D battery holders fit directly into the Magcharger? Or do you have to modify them somehow? For some reason, I thought the Magcharger body was a bit shorter than the Mag 3-D body.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have got to do this. Still have not bought the 3D Mag. Have the 3 to D's. Waiting for some high ouotput 1650's to be available.

Bill

scrappy

Enlightened
That is the only thing I worry about. I don't leave it on for long periods of time, but once my mod'd reflectors come in I am making a regular Mag 3d into my Mag85 and turning my magcharger back to a MC60.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the smell of WA01185 in the cool night air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Come on Bill, take the plunge! Sanyo/Energizer 2000s work great and you can find them at Target. You know you want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

oklalawman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
scrappy said:
I'm not much of a "modder" and I never will be... but I managed to mod my magcharger with 1160 bulb into a .... MAG85.... wow it is a monster. I used the 3AA-D rev 2 adaptors, 9 powerex 2200 mah batts, a PMR, and a bi-pin 1185.... it scorches the earth it touches. I LOVE it. Ginseng - thanks for pointing me to your posts, they were a big help, now I am on such a high I may have to buy a soldering iron and start some real mods....

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I admit I am new to this but what ia a pmr????

wallyrulz

Enlightened
perfect mag reflector. In order to keep the reflector from melting with one of these super bulbs, you need one made of aluminum. Five mega sells some that keep the cam action. Carley also makes one, but no cam action.

hth

paulr

Flashaholic
What method does one use for putting an 1185 into a Mag3d? Some mod to the Mag to use bi-pin bulbs, or 1185's potted in PR bases? Can the potting stand the temperature of such powerful bulbs?

I have a Mag3D, fivemega LOP reflector, and three EL V2 3-to-D's, lots of 1600 mAH AA NiMH cells, plus some of those Pelican 6V high power bulbs on order. I'd actually been intending to get a Mag2D body to use with the reflector, Pelican bulb, etc. But maybe I should just toss the Pelican bulbs on BST and go for a Mag85 mod.

DarkLight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
scrappy said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have links for all parts required and aprox cost to build?