Don't laugh: What's a small BRIGHT incan...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don\'t laugh: What\'s a small BRIGHT incan...

I used to EDC a Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Then about 2 years ago i discovered leds, and Luxeons... but lately I have been missing that certain blinding "rush"...

Any suggestions? Is there anything new in the poscket sized incan world - anything not much bigger than a Surefire G2 that is REALLY bright?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Don\'t laugh: What\'s a small BRIGHT incan...

How about 200 lumens from a C2/6P?

You can run a P91 with 2 unprotected R123.
I have tested a P90 with 2xR123 protected cells in a E2e with a E2C adaptor and a Z44HA bezel.

Then I went back to using my X3T 5 watt/BB750/PR in a E2D and a Z61 tailcap (black clicky) with a Pila 168S. This isn't 200 lumens, but it's more practicle for my use.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Stainless,

I decided that I needed more light than the G2 and ended up with the 8NX.

Very pleased...

Tom

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though not new, but the UKE 2L is smaller than the G2 and more carry-able. Though its not as bright as the G2, but its still bright enough with lots of throw.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the Dorcy Spyder seems to be the 'brightest' of the sub $45 lights I've tried...the Dorcy Spyder, Pelican M6, StreamLight Scorpion, SureFire G2, Brinkmann Legend LX type lights.

And according to flashlightreviews.com, the Bright Star Responder 4AA has better throw than any light I've mentioned but I've never used it. The Streamlight TL-3 looks to be pretty bright if you want to step up to a 3x123 form factor. Better overall output and better throw but again, I've never used one.

If you want a rechargable that's basically as bright as the G2 but with better throw, there's the Streamlight Strion.

And of course, you always have the Princeton Tec Surge if you wear those funky cargo pants with the big o' pockets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Silverfox: I had an 8nx - it forever soured me against rechargeables.
Stanley: I have a UKE 2L somewhere - nice light, but I am thinking BRIGHT.
270winchester: I am told that the P61 is not all that impressive, but it might be my best option.
cratz2: I "dislike" the switches on the Legend and the Responder.

The problem with having several dozen lights - I think I've become too picky.
Is there a pocket sized version of the M6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I know what you mean about a REALLY bright light from a good incandescent. LEDs seem sort of washed out and sub-par sometimes. I hope that isn't true of my Tristar Phazer on order though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FNG

Enlightened

Streamlight TL-3 Xenon

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Second/Third the Streamlight TL-3 Xenon - about the best bang for the buck you can get for a 123A powered light. Use mine all the time.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam:
Do you think that the P61 in my G2 would actually be brighter than the TL-3? (If so, are they available anywhere other than factory direct?)

By the way: VERY NICE website you have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam:

Do you think that the P61 in my G2 would actually be brighter than the TL-3?
(If so, are they available anywhere other than factory direct?)

By the way: VERY NICE website you have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Double post - it was there, then it was not - then it was double. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I give up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope - The P61 will give more overall output than the P60, but will not be able to match the output of the TL-3 in overall output or throw. Think of the TL-3 as having a mini-turbohead (to use Surefire terms). Tighter focus is the result. Plus since it is using 3 cells instead of the 2 in the G2, it gives out more light overall as well.

Here are the numbers from my charts:

light; throw/overall output

TL-3; 94/100
P61; 59.45/70
P60; 59.45/52

Glad you enjoy the site!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam:

THANKS! I was able to find the top and bottom numbers, but was not able to locate the P61. Looks like I'll have to find a TL-3.

Everyone:
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

amv

Newly Enlightened

I actually just bought the TL-3 and the Pelcian M6 and there is not much difference between the 2, except that the M6 is just a little more then half the price of the TL! I'm very impressed with the M6 and am thinking about picking up another...

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless, you can get the SF P61 from CPF's jcciv (surefireparts on Ebay) and he will ship internationally.

I had a couple of the SL TL-3 Xenons and they have better throw than the P61 in a Surefire. You can actually see the difference with your eyeballs.

I didn't find the difference in actual use that significant between the TL-3 and the Pelican M6 though, and the PM6 does it on 2x123 rather than 3x123. Plus there are all sorts of SF accessories that will fit the Pelican M6.

I'm still impressed with the P90 and P91 out of a 3x123 Surefire. Lots of fellahs aren't, though.

Get yourself an SF A19 extender, make yourself a wire "washer" to put inside the A19 where the G2 screws up tight to it in order to maintain continuity.

Then get a pyrex windowed SF bezel (jcciv has these for sale for cheap) and P90 and/or P91 9v lamp assemblies and there you go.

I call it a "G3". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My sons G2s are set up like this and they also have Chop hotrodded KL3s with 27mm reflectors that hold their own with the Luxeon III heads out there. Plus they put Z49 clickies on them so that they can truly lockout.

Britt