liftime of a laserpointer...

undertaker

Newly Enlightened
hi all,i have a laserpointer working with a A/C adaptor...it mesures 3 volts,but the laserpointer came with 3 LR44 batterys so it works at 4.5 volts.with the adaptor it will work fine?with less volts?can be working 24/7?Sorry my english /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif,im portuguese.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF undertaker!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Have a nice stay!

I have no clue about your question, but the experts won't take long to chime in ...

bernhard

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Hi there:

Could you possibly provide a model number, where you purchased it, and/or pictures of the unit? 4.5V seems a bit "hot" for a pointer unless its one of the keychain red ones. I seem to remember those using 3 lr44's

Assuming it is 4.5v operating and you are running it at 3v and the diode still makes its lasing threshold it should work. Just dimmer than normal.

Figuring out if running it constantly will harm it requires heavy math derived from thermodynamics and variables you probably dont know, like the "breed" of metal used, thermal compound transfer efficiencies... So do what I do, run it with overkill cooling just to be sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

undertaker

Newly Enlightened
Re: lifetime of a laserpointer...

its a keychain that i found in a chinese store...it is working for several weeks and its always cool,not even warm.
why the keychain laser works at 4.5 volts and the laserpointers work at 3 volts?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Simplest answer here: The keychain lasers use button cells with very low capacity and low capability to generate current; pen-style lasers use AAA cells wich have a higher capacity and can deliver a more potent (current) punch.

If you connect a red diode laser pointer to an external power source that can deliver 50mA or more, drive it at 3 volts.

undertaker

Newly Enlightened

my keychain laser ac/dc adaptor is regulated and its output is 3 volts at 600 ma...is it too much ampers for a laser that should run at 4.5 volts?it is running for several weeks.My question is:for a keychain laser,what is the correct ac/adaptor?