• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nextgen 500 mccapsule flickering

mccavazos

Enlightened
Yesterday I recieved all the parts for my mccapsule, so when I got off work I went home and assembled it. I let the epoxxy dry until I went home for lunch today. I placed the mccapsule in my longbow and turned it on. The LED lit right up, but after a couple of seconds it started flickering and getting dimmer then lighter. I thought that it was the battery, so I opened a package of surefire batteries, and installed one. The light started flickering with that battery as well. Needless to say I'm a little upset over this, having just spent 70 somthing on the mccapsule. My leading guess right now is that I might have used the wrong solder for the positive contact solder blob. I have both rosin core and non-rosin core solder, and I had both of them out, but I might have got them mixed up when I was putting the capsule togtether. I am at work right not, So I can't confirm that this is the problem. What should I do? Could the Solder blob be causing this? from What I understand the Converter board should either turn on in full regulation, or in safe mode, but what would cause the flicker? Should I send it back?

EDIT: Before the capsule was assembled I tested everything, the converter board was supplying 512mA to the LED on a brand New cell. I used the turorial on KJ's Flashlight gallery and the wiring diagrams from the shoppe to put it together.

thanks,
Chris

acusifu

Enlightened
My Mccapsule for my longbow has had some dimming problems. I used the Caig lubricant on the threads and that helped some. When working properly that boys shines. When in dim mode, not so pretty.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the GND wire to the converter board is not securely fastened. You might want to check this.

Wayne

mccavazos

Enlightened
Its potted in right now, but when i soldered everything I made sure that all the joints where good, and I tested all if them.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
On the ground note, make sure that the McCapsule is seating well on the shoulder in the LB battery tube and that there is no resin or other foreign substance interfering with a good ground contact here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

mccavazos

Enlightened
So that was the problem, I cleaned off the contact PDB, and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the advice,
mc

kj

Enlightened
Glad the problem was fixed.

BTW, if you are using the clicky tailcap, you may want to clean the contact around the tailcap. I once saw the flicker problem in my McCapsule with Wizard2 and this was caused by the tailcap contact.