Religion and income

Gman

Enlightened
Ok, another strange question but I have a need to know. What religions (as part of their practice) request/require a percentage of a participant's income be donated? Can anyone list them for me?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know for sure that Judaism does not *require* donations, but they are always welcome.

I'm pretty sure, although I may be wrong, that Mormans require a donation. I think this is how they can build such beautiful temples.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gman:

Many Prodestant denominations including Mennonites and Wesleyans preach "thithing." The doctrine of "tithing" basically means that "the church" has a RIGHT to 10% of every members income. This is kind of sad, because because these churches are basically preaching "NEW Testament Christianity - funded by OLD Testament regulations". Picture a Delorean powered by a pair of oxen.
It may move, but it will never be what it's creator intended it to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old testament tithe was never revoked by Christ and is the basis for the Protestant, Mormon, and other Christian faiths belief in it. My Jewish friends tell me that the more conservative or Orthodox sections of their faith also believe in a tithe.

By definition, a tithe is 1/10 of your increase, and in fact tithe comes from the Old English word for the ordinal number we now call Ten.

Some Christian theorists believe that the tithe, as part of the Law of Moses, was revoked thru Christ. However, just as many will say that there is no direction in the New Testament to that effect, and that Christ himself mentions the Tithe in his rebuke of the Pharisees. (Matthew 23)

"The Church", so to speak, does not act as anything but a conduit for using the tithing funds to promote the work of God. Some Christian churches have decided that that means using it to pay the Minister, Pastor, or Priest, while others believe that those funds are sacred and reserved for caring for the ill, poor, and spreading of the Gospel and that funds to pay the Church leaders should come from a different source.

Of the common American denominations, I know that SOME Baptists, Lutheran, Church of God, Mennonites, Wesleyans, request a tithing.Interestingly, many of these state it is a requirement, but that their is no way to enforce it.

I know that Mormons believe it is an important part of their faith, and is required.

There are others, and if I remember I'll post those later.

Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im a christan but i dont go to church. but i gues im cathlolic.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites:

(I AM NOT trying to start an arguement here)

"The old testament tithe was never revoked by Christ..."
I would have to agree.

The old testament tithe was never REWRITTEN by Christ either.
Would you agree?

Having carefully read what the Old Testament says about tithing; and having heard how "tithing" is taught today,
I think my statement about the Delorean and the oxen is reasonably accurate.

Again, I AM NOT trying to start an arguement here.

RH

Enlightened
I'm Mennonite and tithes are not required but we do pass a collection plate on Sunday.

Topper

Flashaholic*
The Tithe predates even the Law of Moses. Look it up if you want to don't if that works for you as well GEN 14. I read in the New Testament "The Lord loves a cheerful giver" so if the shoe fits then give. There is a huge difference in having too and getting too. I Tithe because I choose too or get too, it is not required where I go. I have no doubt in my mind I do far better now than before, Malichi was not guessing IMHO.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gman -

I tend to shy away from religious threads. I've some friendships that have developed during my attendance to CPF that are invaluable to me. I care not to offend anyone in regard to beliefs.

I suspected that you had a recent experience with an organization using questionable practices. After reading your second post I'm certain of it. These people your friends are dealing with are "mentoring" using fear. Shame on them. Stewardship involving gentle, truthful suggestions for ways to live life well, secure, powerful and happy are edifying not fearful.

If your friends have personal relationships with a higher power it is just that for each; a personal relationship. Humans cannot require other humans to do anything that affects that kind of relationship. Your friends would do well to respectfully discontinue entertaining the ideas and presence of these Americans on a mission.

Unsoughtafter mortal authority toward spirituality abrades me and it is just plain wrong.

JW BTW.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stainless

I'm not quite sure what your point was.

Generally, most Christians viewpoint is that if Christ did not change or revoke one of the previous laws it was still in effect, ie.. the Ten Commandmants.

My study and personal experience with the Law of Tithing tends toward what of Topper. I too feel that Malachi was right! But then, Prophets generally are!!!

I'm not sure I understand your oxen and DeLorean example. If you are trying to say it is an antiquated law, and we are too advanced for such a law, well I tend to believe that the laws we have been given are immortal, but then I still believe in a loving, living God, too, so maybe I'm the antiquated one!

Bill

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gman,

Having tried to figure out similar problems by long distance, especially when there is a language barrier involved: ie... you to them, them to you, them to the missionaries, the missionaries to them. I know it is confusing.

My best advice, I have yet to meet a missionary of any faith who was TRYING to harm their prospects. They WANT to help, so much may be misunderstandings.

The tithing law proposed by Malachi says: Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Many see this as a promise to those with enough faith to pay tithing, that they will be blessed beyond all that they give. Thus, as an act of faith, the paying of a tithe leads to blessings. This is irregardless of the amount they make, because if you give the Lord back his tithe, he will bless you even more greatly.

Some Christians in todays world take this a step further, paying their tithes early in the year, before they have even had an increase, based upon what they EXPECT to make.

Bill

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, raggie33.

I think it was Sigman or possibly WitsEnd that first posted that pic. I always liked it and thought it was Christmasy. I emailed Duane Clausen, owner of Northern Exposures to see if I could use his pic as an avatar. He agreed.

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't know what the reason was for changing the title of the thread to a member's name, but I've restored it back to it's original title.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Bwaites, truth is a little while ago I lost one third of my income I have not adjusted my giving so far and have no intention of at this time. My choice based on needs of others. Hey we all do what we think we can even if some think they can do nothing, part of that faith thing I guess.
I feel good about what I give. I hope other folks feel good about what they give. Give in love or keep it if you think you need to. I am indeed seeking as are others.
Topper

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gman said:
I'm not sure who "they" are, I'm told both Baptists and an "American church". Not sure of the details at this point but there is definately an American influence of some kind. Some of it sounds like the Mormons and some sounds like the JWs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baptists tithe, Mormons tithe, JWs don't tithe.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gman said:
Thanks guys. Bwaites and Stainless, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. To confuse the issue further this is all taking place with friends of mine in Ukraine. Over the last 6 months they've been slowly taken in by some group. I'm not sure who "they" are, I'm told both Baptists and an "American church". Not sure of the details at this point but there is definately an American influence of some kind. Some of it sounds like the Mormons and some sounds like the JWs.

Lately they've been visiting a lot and leaving videos (and a player) that are supposed to help them "see clearly" and also to raise their 3 year old son "correctly". Now they're telling them they can't be "baptised" without giving up 10% of their income. This in a country where the average wage is $50 a month and most people need every kopeck to get by. They're confused by this and asked my advice. They think just because I'm American I know all about this stuff. Yeah, right. These people have never helped them in anyway even when they were sick or in need of food and clothing. Before I pass it off as poisoned Kool-Aid stuff I'm just trying to get the story straight because I'm not much of a organized religion guy. (A belief in God is fine but I personally feel organized religion is responsible for most of the world's suffering and has been for thousands of years). Anyway, I'll be heading back to Ukraine for New Years so I'll get the full story then.

I sure wish I was there now, I'd love to see the history that's about to be made. I've been in Independence Square in Kyiv many times and it's amazing to think whats going on there right now. Little more than 10 years ago it would have resulted in tanks and bullets by the Soviet's finest, with most protestors hauled off to the gulags. The place has come a long way since then but I think they could do without these kinds of missionaries. It's a very religious culture to begin with, they don't need this kind of "help" from abroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was actually flavor-aid, not kool aid.

Anyway.... I was just talking with some people the other day that were saying the same thing. No tithing, no baptism. I cannot remember who it is though. I wanna say presbyterian or episcopalian.

However, I'd say that most any tithing denomination could take on this view if the leader is a little on the fringe.

There are some mormon churches around here that require a copy of your w2. They compare that with your tithe.

Leaving videos DOES sound like mormon and/or jw. I would RUN, not walk, away from either of these groups.

But, the bottom line is that ANY church that denies baptism based on tithing is waaaaaaay out of line with scriptural teachings. I would tell your friends to split, pronto. And just hope that they are then left alone.