VIP Optic Question

Matt_USAF

Newly Enlightened
What type of optic orginally came with the VIP and where can I order it from?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Fraen LP. But the IMS 17mm reflector gave a more useful beam, IMHO, and I started including those right at the end till I ran out. I think you can get both of these from www.futureelectronics.com although you might want to buy several items to balance out the shipping.

Matt_USAF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr. Bulk! BTW the VIP is amazing!

Can't wait for my #12 Lion Heart.

Thanks,

Matt

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Just be careful with the 17mm IMS. It's just a millimeter or so too long, so if you reef down on the bezel, you could damage the emitter or separate it from the heatsink.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, I agree with you that the VIP is amazing and glad you got yourself one.

There are so many options available just for what to do with the photons coming from the emitter:

1. Stock head with Fraen LP Optic
2. Stock head with 17mm reflector
3. BulkHead with larger reflector
4. Big BulkHead with huge reflector.

I am in a teensy minority, but I prefer the stock head with the Fraen LP. Makes it excellent for use with a handgun or when stumbling around somewhere that you don't want to waste photons in a larger but not so bright spill. At close range out to 10 yards, you don't have to fiddle with getting the bright hotspot on what you want lit up. You just throw that bright Fraen LP square on it.

But, my uses of flashlights are so oddball, what works for me won't for most everybody else.

Like my over-engineered leather flashlight holsters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I was unclear....did you say you do have a BBH coming in the package? If so, splendid!

I think the BBH on a VIP is gonna clean the clock of everything in it's class when it comes to throwing a beautiful bright hotspot with reasonable spill that doesn't bleed off too much from the hotspot.

I've still got my fingers crossed that Charlie and Otokoyama may make available something like the VIP's BBH for the LionHeart.

Britt

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Same here.

I soemwhat regret not having got into the BBH for the VIP, although I was hard-pressed to justify the $65 cost in the end.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I definitely prefer the bulkhead on my VIP, but if I use the stock head I use the reflector and not the Fraen. The Fraen is better for more flood type applications, but centering it is a pain (although centering doesn't normally matter when you're actually using the light) and I prefer the tighter beam of the reflector. I put one of those reflectors in my Baby Pin as well and it works good. Awaiting my BBH to watch it outthrow all my other lights. It's nice to have options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, IP, a fellah working through college has to watch his dollars very closely. My two oldest sons are in a similar situation.

But, alot of you fellahs tend to make very rational decisions and are less prone to impulsive buying.

I'll bet some BBHs show up for sale when the owners want to finance the purchase of something new and the VIP has lost its luster for them.