post ya computer thread

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well my other hobby is computers i love building em, i cant build the pc i want so i go for budget pc,s
ok i got a shuttle an35 ultra 400 mobo.its a nice board for price 64 bucks localy. it uses the nforce 2 chipset. whats nicew is it can rasue cpu vcore to like 2.2 volts, great for overclcoking. my cpu is amd xp barton 2500.therre wellknown good overclcokers but are locked,meaning ya cant rasie the muiltplier,ya have to overclcock by raseing fsb.i have a lite on dvd 1633 dual layer burner.im going to hack it to the liteon 1653 when they get ebter firmware for 1653 it was like 80 if i recall cpu was like 50 if i recall i have 2 stick a samsung 2700 value ram. like 30 bucks a stick.hardrive is maxtor 7200 rpm 80 gig with 8 m a cache.my psu is crapy but im saveing for a better one. sd what pc do you have. o my os is windows 2000 sp4.but i also use linux.. ohere is a hint for builder check out frys from tiem to time we just got one well its like 100 miles away but they have crazy sales .last crazy sale was a amd xp 2500 sepron and motherboard for 70 bucks

stockwiz

Enlightened
2.4 GHZ pentium 4 running at 2.7 GHZ. 1024 MB Ram... 40 GB and 80 GB hard drives, 7200 RPM.. running out of room on them... ATI Radeon 9500 non pro which is software unlocked to run at the speed of a 9700.. turtle beach santa cruz sound, dvd burner...

I built this system in late 2002 and it's still much more useful then I thought it would be for late 2004.. processor speeds and performance really haven't gone up much at all relatively speaking in the last 2 years.. there were 3.0 GHZ's around when I built mine.... the biggest innovations have been in memory speeds, with dual layer ram and such which I don't currently have... along with increased storage.. 150+ GB hard drives and 1 GB USB flash drives becoming more commonplace... forget zip drives, floppys, and burnt CDs even.. these flash drives with storage capacities over 1 GB are becoming very nice alternatives.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like the 9500 the soft mod is cool on them.sadly i have anvidia geforce 2 mx 400 but i wanted it for low power i hear it only pulls 4 or 5 watts. dont even need a heatsink or fan.and i dont p[lay games on pc no more.im thinking a raseing my fsb on cpu to around 200.that will be amd xp 3200 speeds. but it will take 20 more watts.but i realy require lots of cpu power

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presently on the old K6-2 300 box known as Frankenstein as I built it totally out scrap parts from the box under the bed.

Main PC is a pretty basic 2.4Ghz P4 system, 60Gb HD, useless onboard graphics (to be sorted come the next loan installment), and to be watercooled as soon as I get around to finding a waterblock for it. The rest of that I've built out of scrap bits as usual. Just want it to be quiet...noisy PC's drive me mad, especially when I'm using it to play games or working on anything graphically intensive like landscape generation when the CPU fan goes into overdrive.

Other machines in here:

Acorn Archimides A5000. ARM 3 8MHz, 2Mb RAM, RiscOS 3.1 and more software than I've managed to invesitgate yet.

Commodore Amiga A1200 (Desktop, Motherboard revision 1A). 68030/50Mhz accelerator, 64Mb RAM and a 10Gb harddisk. Presently waiting on me digging it a new PSU out of the loft.

Zenith Z-note 1000 sitting on the bed, that's the college laptop (or for browing CPF from the bed when I'm feeling lazy), old Pentium 166MMX, desperately in need of more memory at 32Mb though, harddrive's 5Gb, butmore than enough for what it is.

Old Elonex Pc-333 under the bench as well, originally a network hub until the 210Mb harddrive finally died a few months ago.

Also owned (not in here though, in the loft)

Toshiba T1200 (80C86 4.11MHz, 640K RAM, 20Mb HDD).

Toshiba T3200SXC (386/15Mhz, 4Mb RAM, earliest example of decent TFT screen I've seen)

Toshiba T5200/100 - 2 of them (386/50Mhz, 12Mb RAM, 200Mb HD, VGA Gas Plasma display. Orange, but boy that thing's sharp!)

Toshiba T3100SX (dead, think the damp got to it) - 386/??MHz, 1Mb RAM, 80Mb HD, VGA GP display)

Commodore Amiga A500+ Only got that a few weeks ago, haven't checked the spec yet.

Panasonic CF-41 (Mk1) (486/50MHz, 310Mb HD, 8Mb RAM, 2x CD-ROM hidden under the keyboard, VGA TFT display).

EDIT: Oops, forgot a couple!

My first PC! IBM PS/ValuePoint 433DX/Si (486DX/33Mhz, 24Mb RAM, 2.1Gb SCSI Harddisk and 2x CD-ROM, SVGA graphics with matching IBM monitor)

Elonex PC-433VL. Only jut donated, so haven't looked at it yet, reckon it's a 486/33 though, probably 16Mb RAM, 210Mb Connor Harddrive most likely.

Hmm, *think* that's all of them!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dell DimensionTM 4600
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology (2.80GHz, 800 FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (4x128M)
40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
NEC 3500 DVD DL burner
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Video card at 256MB
Microsoft Optical mouse
Soon: WD 120G HD

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I am here at home on an AMD K5-166mhz with a whopping 48mb of ram. I know not what video ability it has, but it actually SEEMS better than the newer faster machine at work. I have an 8gb HDD with a partition for C and D drives. I have an LG CD-RW CED-8080B drive, and a Mitsumi CD FX140S drive, and a Logitech TrackMan Marble. Also has a 1.44 Floppy drive. No USB no Firewire.

Also here is a Packard Bell Legend 316SX with miniscule memory and drive (but still boots up!)

An IBM desktop that as I recall was perhaps a p1 133. That's all I remember about it and while it might still boot, why???

And a clone 486 box a buddy gave me. The power supply is nearly toast on that one.

Damn. Now just out of curiosity, I gotta set up the IBM and try to boot it. Maybe it can use the CD I made up of linux...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie (or anybody else), maybe you have some ideas. I've posted this in a computer hardware forum but I'll throw it out here. I am looking for the cheapest/best motherboard/cpu/memory combo to upgrade Dad's pc. Reliability is the key here, not performance. Anything better then a P4 2 gig or AMD equivalent is fine performance wise. I am on a big time budget this year so have to take costs into consideration. From the hardware forum, the overwhelming responses has been AMD systems, not Intel, even for Celerons.

*Retired*
racknet2.jpg

There are 15 operational computers there.

Additionally, a 2 Ghz P4 upstairs and a 3200+ AMD downstairs.

I got boxes of old systems in the spare room, 386, 486, 5x86, P133, P166, etc...

So, what do I do with all of them? http://d2ol.childhooddiseases.org/stats/topTeams.jsp

We are currently ranked #16 in the world, www.TheGameBox.net

Basically we evaluate potential drugs for childhood diseases that are not big money makers for the drug companies.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was wrong, it's a P120 with a really whopping 22mb Ram, and 2 whole mb of video memory! And a humdinger 1.2g HD! Which only has 251m free space. Wonder why (he asks sarcastically!)?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This begs a question of Raggie or Newbie or?

I am pretty sure Win95 isn't real smart. Like recognizing hardware without trouble?

I have this other box that has at least that much HD and probably more.

Any point in doing anything with it if the drive is larger? Or maybe stick a new drive in it? Of course with a P120 it'll never amount to much...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
win 95 was a little before my time my first os was 2000 .but id guess win 95 stunk at plug n play.newbie i used to fold distruted folding i may start again.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abit AN7 mobo
AMD XP3000 Barton
1 gig pc3200 Corsair ram
Zalman cnps7000A-Cu fan (trimmed to fit)
Zalman northbridge heatsink (customized to fit)
Samsung 1.44 floppy
Lite-on SOHW832S DVD+-RW
500 gigs hard drive space.
Antec 400 watt PS
Sapphire 9800 Pro video card

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Raggie (or anybody else), maybe you have some ideas. I've posted this in a computer hardware forum but I'll throw it out here. I am looking for the cheapest/best motherboard/cpu/memory combo to upgrade Dad's pc. Reliability is the key here, not performance. Anything better then a P4 2 gig or AMD equivalent is fine performance wise. I am on a big time budget this year so have to take costs into consideration. From the hardware forum, the overwhelming responses has been AMD systems, not Intel, even for Celerons.

[/ QUOTE ]check out frys they often have decent cpu motherboard combos , last one i saw was the one i was talking about it was a ecs mobo with a via chipset and amd sepron 2500 for 70 bucks ,it should be pretty stable if ya use decent ram and psu . my fav chipset is nvidia but ive seen good chipsets from sis and via to.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
Abit AN7 mobo
AMD XP3000 Barton
1 gig pc3200 Corsair ram
Zalman cnps7000A-Cu fan (trimmed to fit)
Zalman northbridge heatsink (customized to fit)
Samsung 1.44 floppy
Lite-on SOHW832S DVD+-RW
500 gigs hard drive space.
Antec 400 watt PS
Sapphire 9800 Pro video card

[/ QUOTE ]nice rig i love the mobo and video card,i need to add a heat sink to my south bridge. or at least i think i mean south bridge i mean the one that genely has no heatsink i get north bridge and south bridge confused .i cant go to far over 200 fsb and be prime 95 stable

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
From the web page I have about this computer provided by CPF members:

Dell Dimesion 4500 Pentium 4 at 1.8GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
Dell Enhanced Keyboard
19" Sony Trinitron flat-screen CRT
64MB GeForce3 Ti 200 Graphics Card
Harmon/Kardon powered speakers with powered subwoofer
80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
3.5 Floppy
MS Windows XP Home Edition
Logitech Optical USB Rat
10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
56K Telephony Modem
24x/10x/40x Max CD-RW (CD reader/CD blower)
Bundled Software
3 Year at Home Service

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Raggie,

Here is the heatsink I'm using on my northbridge. I replaced the original fan for two reasons. The noise, and the fact that the fans that come on Abit Northbridge chipsets have a nasty habit of pooping out after about a month. I had to trim of a small amount of the fins to get it to fit under onder the HUGE Zalman processor fan. But it works great. If you would like a pic,I could pop off the side and e-mail you one. Just PM me.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-214&depa=0

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only if it isnt to much trouble. hey speaking a heatsinks lol the heatsink on my old nvidia 4 4200(overclcoked with a hex edited bios i made to 4600 speeds) was broke n i didnt know it by the time i found out,it didnt do damge so i just kept running it lol.finaly i took it out n put in this old geforce 2 mx in but man that 4200 got hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It looks like the hard drive in the "buddy" box has taken a powder. It is a brand and part number that Google couldn't do anything with anyway.

However this case looks big enough and fancy enough for new guts. It may not have forward USB but it looks like it'll take two facing rear. And a place for another real fan in back.

There ain't no way I can do it all at once.

But Raggie says when Frys has a good sale on a mobo and AMD processor, it don't get much better.

I guess I'll gut and clean up this box, and like the old song "I built it one peice at a time"... and it'll be mine.

The IBM works okay... should I attempt to do anything with it? Or scram the HD and dump it?

Except for the monitors they sure will move easy.

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
EVGA FX 5700 Ultra graphics card
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
AMD XP2500 Barton
1 Gig PC3200 Corsair XMS Ram
(2) 80 Gig Western Digital ATA/100 HDs
RaidMax ATX-868WUP case
RaidMax 420 watt P/S
Lite-On CD/RW
Pioneer DVD +RW/RW

plus my trusty IBM T41 Thinkpad notebook.

CajunBabe