Will 3 20mm IMS reflectors fit in a mag?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been comissioned to make a heat sink for someone, and they want to use 3 17 or 20mm IMS reflectos in a mag.
Will 3 20mm IMS reflectors fit? with no modding done to them?

If so, what is the height that the reflector will sit off the sink?
He plans to use stars, so I need to know, if a star is placed on a sink, and then a 20mm reflector is placed on the star, what is the distance, from top of sink, to top of reflector.

Thanks alot.

~John

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I know is, there is enough width for them all to fit.
The depth is considerably different for just 3mm wider reflectors......brb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok, there's a 16mm depth on the so20's with the legs chopped off, versus 10.5mm for the 17's with thier legs cropped.
A 5.5mm difference plus additional depth for the stars.
Judging from my trilight3 kit, I'd say you are in for a pain in the rumproot with this one.
You may want to go with emitters (not stars) arctic alumina'ed to a thin (hole sawed from thick sheetmetal) heatsink.

Edit:
And loosely pre-assemble before any wiring or glueing takes place.
You may want to try a few different thicknesses of heatsink material, before getting the perfect fit between bezel and head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
3rd_shift,

Thanks for the input.
I will be making a custom sink for this on my lathe, so the thickness of the sink wont be a problem, once I figure out what that thickness should be.

Wont the reflectos worth with stars? without the legs cut off? Or are the legs only to be used, when they are used with an emitter?

If they are supposed to have the legs cut off, when used with stars, it looks like I can take the height of the star, plus 16mm, to get the distance from top of sink, to lens.

Also, if they are to be used with the legs cut off, do the 20mm ones sit on the emitter slug (black part) like the 17mm ones do?

Thanks alot.

~John

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 20's sit on the black shoulders of the emitters (with, or without stars) just the same as the 17's do.
The legs may have to go, if a way is found to use stars.
Try with the legs on 1st, like myself and Craig did on our trilight3's.
If a no go, then try without them.

I sure wish you had the parts all there with you to get a perfect fit the 1st time, as there are several variables to juggle.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done some testing between 17s and 20s and if you want a thrower.. (3) 20s will be just about the most incredible thing you can imagine... if you want a more useful light for up to 100'.. I'd use (3) 17's.

I'm building a light right now with 3 17s on stars. The light is a lot more even from the 17s.. but it is brighter with the 20s no doubt.

-awr

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

Actually the IMS reflectors are designed to work perfectly with Luxeon Stars. They sit on the heatsink and position the bottom of the reflector so that it clears the black collar surrounding the lens.

Here's a link to a PDF file showing in pictures exactly how they fit. The file also has all the dimensions that you will need.

IMS 20 mm Reflector

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks oeo !

Thats exactly what I wanted.
Sounds like this will turn out nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have already made a light with 3 stars, and 3 17mm's I really like it.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes as mentioned.. the reflectors work BETTER with the stars.. typically have to modify the feet, etc to get them to work with the bare emitter. (which they work completely awesome btw)..

check out my megasonic page to see 3 and 4 IMS in concert. I have 3 17s and one 27.. the 27 has switch to short it out to turn it off.. works like a total charm.

I run them at just about 3W each max... with a dimmer down to about 30 or 50mA (i forget).

-awr