VIP on 2xAA Lithiums ?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Erik Johnson said:
(this was covered in one of the huge VIP threads, 1.7*2 volts is too much)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it will work. The Vf of the Lux3 (at reasonable current levels) is higher than 3.4V - the main thing is that you will lose the dim level until the batteries sag enough. Lithium AA's maintain their voltage for a large part of their discharge curve (not much of a curve...) and thus the dim level will actually just be direct drive and probably not that much lower than medium.

george.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.... That's interesting, I too thought AA lithies were a definite no-no. I'm pretty sure it was explicitly stated in one of the epic VIP threads. Thanks for clearing that up george, I guess it was just an "urban legend".

Peter

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Yea, but this issue is that I don't have the b**** to attempt it if there's even the slightest chance of destruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a go - if it blows up, send the VIP to me and I'll replace the driver for you...

Litfuse - not so much an urban legend, as Mr Bulk & Co wanting to be on the 'safe side' of specifying what would work and not. Since the higher voltage of the lithium AA's would preclude the dim level from working it was deemed better to keep the waters clearer by just recommend ONLY lithium 123's or AA nimhs.

george.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
georges80 said ok, recently, but it will overdrive circuit, and want to run direct drive in all three modes for awhile.

Bill

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I never did try this. Did anyone else try it and feel like admitting to it?

I was going to start a new thread to ask this next question, but I might as well as here. With the recent craze of R123 cells, what about them. As I understand it, now we're talking about 4.2 volts straight off the charger. Any concerns with that much voltage to the circuit?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I tried it shorty after getting my VIP, and just for a few seconds. VIP started flickering, doing strange stuff. Did not seem to like overdrive. I stopped, pronto, and never went back. No harm to VIP.

Bill

ddaadd

Enlightened
Uh, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

WHAT you mean DONT run VIP on 2 x lithium AA?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

Already been there and done that in ignorant bliss.
I've had a VIP for maybe a couple months and am on 2nd set of them. Never read the big thread, but had come across the caution for R123's. Hmmm, better check current, volts, brb....using my Fluke 88 DMM.....

-------------------- L ------ M ------ H
1 x cr123 2.98v --- 34ma -- 470ma -- 1525ma
some use on it ---- 2.81v -- 3.27v --- 3.51v .. (at emitter)

2xAA new 1.78v --- 190ma - 375ma -- 1100ma
Lithium ------------ 2.93v -- 3.27v --- 3.52v

? (ma rising quick on high then taper off) ?

I know enough about electronic circuits to be dangerous.
Not sure what all this means, but I can't "see" any difference in light output......
hope this helps.....

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I must defer to George on this as he is our EE go-to guy. We did not want ANY issues by saying "Yes" originally ("Hey! Howcum my Low don't workee no more?!" and similar) but it should be okay. As George said, he will fix it for you Ray if it goes bad due to the lith AAs. Think of it as a "beta test".

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Awesome, thanks Charlie and George. Although I mostly use my VIP with 1x123, with the BBH just around the corner, I can see setting up one VIP with the 2xAA tube, BBH and a couple E2 2xAA cells.

Sengoku

Enlightened
Re: HELP!

Help!! i tried to measure the current to the LED on my VIP but i must have shorted something out! it got quite hot, now the led will only glow very faintly on all levels and with a new cell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Did i blow my convertor? where can i find a replacement?

Please any help would be much apprieciated.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I couldn't find a thread and it didn't appear to be answered here. Is 4.2 volts a definite no go?

Thanks

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Where/how you getting 4.2 volts from 2xAA. Best case on a couple of E2 cells 3.4 or 3.5 volts. If you're referring to an R123, I believe you're playing with fire if you try it.