Retrofits, mods for MiniMag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moderator Edit: Moved to Homemade and Modified lights forum

Just got a Mini Maglite 2-AA for the intent of getting it changed into a LED light. What options are available?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Do you want to spend $5 or $30?

As a retrofit you can drop in an Opacec new beam. 100% fully regulated 3 white LEDs with a red one to tell you your batteries are aobut to die.

For about $5 you can drop in a Nichia, longer spring, and some "N" cells with tape around them.

Someday when I get around to it I am going to put an Opalec in one of my Norcids, I have a Minimag I won on here with the Nichia, a tailcap switch, and the "N" cells...it is carried in my backpack as a backup to my Arc AAA and Brinkmann LX.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would second Saaby on the Opalec NewBeam recommendation. It is really a great light. I have some brighter luxeon star based lights, but I still find myself reaching for the Opalec modded minimag. I love the long run-time combined with the constant brightness for most of the battery life (8-10 hours of constant, uniform brightness).

Pat

leddite

Enlightened
depends what you want to use the finished light for ...

i have one with the opalec newbeam, for my car (and will put in lithiums for winter). it's not as bright as some lights i have, but will provide a lot of burn time when i need to look for something, and it's better than the built in lamps.

i have a couple with dat2zip's modules, and for everyday, taking out the trash, walking around at night, it's bright and fabulous.

there's my options :>

Status
Not open for further replies.