Lighting a smokecracker...

Enigmahack

Newly Enlightened
heh
not really to be honest however it's obiously a powerful laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Imagine being a "high tech prankster" that would light firecrackers from across the road with your laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol

LaserMod

Enlightened
Wehey! Excellent, think I'll try that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I could even hear the fuse lighting.
Stupid though, holding that firecracker in his hand after the fuse was lit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I want that laser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Or one just like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
It's a smokecracker... no explosives, just blows smoke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They can get hot on the sides so you should only hold them by the bottom with the fingertips. Heck even firecrackers made today can be lit off like this with no real pain other than ringing in the ears if done indoors. (now that is kind of stupid so don't do that!)

Cheers!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a small firecracker (about 1/4" in diameter and ~ 2" long) go off within 18" of my ear before. The fuse on the firecracker was bad and it just quickly flashed into the firecracker when I lit it. Good thing I wasn't holding it in my hand, I had placed it on the ground before I lit it.
Needless to say, my ear kept ringing for 2 hours after the incident.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a similar firecracker go off in his hand while he was lighting it. It burned his fingertips.

I don't have access to that kind of laser but I have lit firecracker fuses and strike anywhere match heads before with sunlight and a magnifying glass.

Craig, do you still remember burning a peice of tape with a 50mw laser and a lens like that? You might already have a strong laser.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
yuandrew said:
Craig, do you still remember burning a peice of tape with a 50mw laser and a lens like that? You might already have a strong laser.

[/ QUOTE ]
The laser barely caused some smoke to issue from the tape, and did not actually burn a hole in it. And that was when the beam was focused with a lens.
Power output of that laser was later measured at 59.09mW.

Figure you'll need at least several hundred milliwatts of laser radiation to light fuses without first focusing the beam with a lens. Probably more like a watt or two.

Shiftlock

Enlightened
I happen to know that the ChangChun GLP-III >50mW handheld laser will light a fuse just like that in just about exactly the same amount of time (grin).

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]

I happen to know that the ChangChun GLP-III >50mW handheld laser will light a fuse just like that in just about exactly the same amount of time (grin).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes for those of you wondering what laser was used, it's *not* some class IV behemoth! It's a CNI GLPIII handheld laser powered by a single Pila 168S cell. Pretty impressive for something the size of a microphone used by pop singers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers!

sbk

Newly Enlightened
I was able to light a cuban cigarillos with my 200mW laser module, without additive lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif