New Inova X5-T Pooped Out

lboone

Newly Enlightened
I was using my Inova X5-T in a non-abusive way, I simply twisted the tailcap into the "ON" position, it went to full brightness for about 15 sec. and then snapped to a extremely dim level that continues to flicker. Tried two sets of new batteries, installed correctly, same continuous dim flicker. So dim you have to look directly at the LED's to tell that it is on. Any ideas on how to fix, or does it have a date with the Postman? Thanks
mad.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
If you are having problems with your Inova X5 Tactical, send it back to the factory for a replacement. Here is Emissive Technology's contact information:

Emissive Energy Corporation
5 Division Street
Warwick, RI 02818-3800
Tel: 401.541.9001

Turn around time is about two to three weeks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have this problem also.

my case is if I twisted the tailcap into the "ON" position and keep twisting it. my unit will be into a "dim" mode which just know the unit is on but can't use it.

my solution of it is. turn the unit off, drop it to the hard surface ( free falling to the floor is ok, the floor just where you stand on) then the unit will be back to normal.

I think that should be something wrong on the switch which located at the LED unit at the front.

Does anyone know how to dis-assemble this so I can fix it up or change all the LED to UV LED.

lboone

Newly Enlightened
Tried the "drop it on the floor" solution, did nothing but tick off the cat. Tapped it on the desktop, on its rear end, it did get bright for a second, turned it off and on three times... back to where I started. Dim flicker...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the X5 is the best looking LED flashlight going. Problem is for $50 bucks I'd expect it to be trouble free. Don't want to be too much of the antagonist here, but it seems that everyone raves about this being a high quality light, yet there are numerous posts about problems.

Reminds me of the J.D. Powers quality awards. Those awards are based on "preceived quality" not actual quality. Quite often when people spend good cash on products that are high end their perception is clouded by the fact that they believe the product must be high quality. Just something to think about.

Let the flaming begin.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

may be not to twist it too tight. becasue after I drop it on the floor, it will be fine until I twist it too tight then it will dim again.

I'm now looking for a small plastic pipe to guide the internal switch not to be "in" too much to avoid the dim effect happen.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
this happened to my OLD stype Inova, I have been waiting for my replacement for OVER 4 months!

I do agree that the Inova is "cool" looking!

Spork

Enlightened
anyone else haveing problems with their x5? I thought it was one of the most reliable lights out. maybe I will carry my opalec instead.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted bt BuddTX
this happened to my OLD stype Inova, I have been waiting for my replacement for OVER 4 months!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow that's a loooong time!
I can accept that sometimes things don't work properly that's just a fact of life with whatever you buy flashlights, computers, cars you names it, but waiting 4 months for them to send you a replacement is a little off.

I have sent two photons 3's back to L.R.I because they were the older type that would discharge the batts, two weeks later I had my replacements along with some spare batteries and a couple of Photon lanyards thrown in. (The new ones work perfectly)

I am also sending my Reactor back to CMG as it would not stay turned on without me having to keep hitting the head to make it come on bright.
I wrote to them about the problem and they seemed very professional in their response, they want to examine the Reactor and I can expect a replacement in about 10 Days!
Apparently they will be sending one of the newer ones with the improved switch which has an indent for both the on and off position.

As I say I can accept that things are sometimes defective but what does matter to me is how the company then performs in response.
I personally would feel confident buying anything from either CMG or L.R.I as I know that if there is a problem it will be taken care of and put right.
I have never had a problem with my Arc but from reading posts people have been very impressed with Peter for his customer support and swift response when units have gone out that were defective so again I'd not have a problem with buying any Arc product.

As for the Inova X5, I recently bought my girlfriend one for her birthday and it's working fine.
From looking at it I would say that it does have a certain appeal and the quality (to my eye) seems first class, I am sorry to hear your unit is defective but I'm more concerned to hear it's taking them so long to fix the problem for you!
Give them a call.
Grummond.

Spork

Enlightened
i wonder if it was a design issue and they let a few units slip out? my x5t is working fine. i haven't been in the arc forum for a while but people were having troubles with the arc ls and its much more expensive. i had to send my arc aaa back several times before I got a replacement that worked right but they have good customer service. There's no light to match the x5 for the money. the new arc ls and surefire luxeons are just to much to spend on a flashlight in my opinion.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to send my reactor back too. I was going to wait until the green LS led issue was fixed. They specifically state that their lights are "L.E.D. Color - True White", and mine is definately not, so I will wait a while, then ask for a replacement.

I think that both Inova and CMG are good companies, very much wanting to make good products. Heavens knows, we need more serious manufactures of high quality flashlights. With all due restpect to ARC, Inova is the coolest looking flashlight to slip into a pocket. It is extremely bright for a 5 led light, but it is still a 5 led light.

I respect CMG for making the first "affordable" LS light, and I am sure, with some improvements, it will be a success.

I think that with the new indent switch, and the ability to turn it on in either direction without worrying about twisting off the bezel, it will be a success, but I just wonder why they didn't go with a tailcap?

Read my review of the CMG Reactor here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002888

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My three Inova X5 "Classics" have worked perfectly since I got them when they first came out. A thin strip of self-adhering skateboard tape applied to the head makes the X5 easier and more convenient to operate for typical daily utility tasks than a tailcap switch IMO. I also prefer the Classic's smaller size and lighter weight.

Brightnorm

rlhess

Enlightened
I sold my original X5 and while I think it's a good looking light, I just wasn't using it.

Arc sLS, Arc LE, and SF E2e took all the available places.

I DID have intermittants at first with the switch, but pushing it in all the way and running it in and out a few times cured it.

It worked flawlessly for the last three months...although I'll admit to not using it much.

I suspect (but can't prove) that the switch contacts in the head got contaminated during manufacture. I don't know where the switch is in the "T" version.

Cheers,

Richard

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
My X5-T or whatever it is "officially" called, pooped out as well. First instinct was to call INOVA, but they told me that there would be a charge of $5 "handling fee" for in warranty repair. They did, however, tell me that a "repair" would consist of sending me a new replacement unit. I was miffed by the fact that it was going to cost an add'l 5 buck to get a light that works. I then contacted the vendor whom I originally purchased the light from and he replaced it free of charge. Well, I had to cover the cost of return, but actually I shipped it from work so in reality, it cost my company, not me. The vendor was so kind as to also include a newer "tactical" holster in addition to the one that Inova ships with the unit. Although the "tactical" holster is a bit on the bulky side, it has a velcro flap which secures the light in the holster. I find the holster that Inova supplies was getting bumped during work, and the light would slide right out onto the floor. Anyway, praise is in order for my vendor who I feel, did the right thing. I bought it from Countycom.com who demonstrated excellent customer service IMHO. I dealt with Frank, who was a pleasure to deal with.

e-

DonL

Enlightened
First instinct was to call INOVA, but they told me that there would be a charge of $5 "handling fee" for in warranty repair. They did, however, tell me that a "repair" would consist of sending me a new replacement unit. I was miffed by the fact that it was going to cost an add'l 5 buck to get a light that works.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's one of the most agregious and outrageous things I've heard. You bought their light, and then when their light breaks, they want you to partially pay for replacement? Glad I haven't sent any money their way up until now...

Spork

Enlightened
OK I've read enough to convince me that Inova is a poor company. it is the neatest looking led light made but that is meaningless if its not reliable and the maker doesnt want to replace it when it breaks. however mine does appear to be working fine. I'm going to give the 7 led streamlight a try and sell this.

Canuke

Enlightened
Has anybody tried cracking the head unit open on one of the X5 classics? I can't see a way to doing it without destroying it.

I've got two of them (recently picked up at Fry's for $15 each) and both had odd "intermittent" issues with their switches. Each had a habit of turning on unexpectedly even when they were all the way off (scared the hell out of me one night). I've applied rlhess' fix, I hope it works -- if they are prone to turning on when jostled, that kills their utility for campouts and emergency lights.

rlhess

Enlightened
Canuke,

Ugh...my fix was for negative intermittents...yours are positive intermittents...I never had any of these. My mental model of what's happening doesn't think that my fix should work on your problem. I'm glad it did, but I don't understand it. Must revise my mental model. I sold my X5 original, however. The lady who has it is very happy with it. It's her earthquake emergency light next to her bed.

Cheers,

Richard