Difference with nimh batts 2100 -2500 and chargers

junior

Enlightened
I am about to purchase some energizer nimh's and want to know what the difference in batt's are. I saw batts from 2100 all through 2500. Can some tell me the difference?

Also, is better to buy a 15 minute charger or 1hour charger?

What say you?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The 15 minute charger won't have any speed advantage over a one hour charger unless you buy the IC3 cells. Unless you have some compelling need to recharge your cells in 15 minutes stick with a regular 1 hour charger. NiMH are cheap enough that you can get some extras so you always have a fresh set or two charged when the ones in your device(s) are depleted. This is why the 15 minute charger idea never made any sense to me. If new cells cost $15 or $20 each then I can see why a person might not want to keep a few extra sets handy but at $1 to $2 each for most cells it's cheaper to get a standard charger and some extras than to get the IC3 system. I'm leery of anything that pushes over 8A into a battery. If something goes wrong that's just asking for trouble.

As for which cells to buy, I've heard Sanyo are the best but most major brands are pretty decent. I've used Nexcell with no problems. Also, avoid the highest capacity because you pay a steep premium compared to cells with only a little less capacity. Right now 2100 to 2300 mAH seems to be the sweet spot where you get the most cell capacity for the least money. 2500 mAH cells exist, but they easily cost 50% or more over 2300 mAH cells for only an additional 9% or so of capacity, and that's assuming that the capacity number is even valid.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried some of the Energizer 2100's and returned them because they performed very poor in my lights that draw 1A plus.

etmini

Newly Enlightened
I need aaa,aa,c and d cells. Is it best to stay with one brand and charger? Any charger/ battery combos for sale ?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Difference with nimh batts 2100 -2500 and char

In general, if you have a low current demand application, any capacity is fine. In fact, the higher the better for more capacity. However, if you use lights with higher draws, then the hi-cap cells lose their advantage. The best thing is to go with the general guidelines and understand that YMMV. For example, I use Energizer 2100s in a 3.2A application and they perform very well compared to the premium MAHA Powerex 2000s.

Sway,
Did you every check the individual cells to see if you had a dud in the string?

Wilkey

rdshores

Enlightened

I noticed with the Energizer 2300mah batteries I bought, that at first they had hardly no capacity(about 400mah, even though my charger was indicating fully charged. I had to cycle them several times before they had full capacity. I don't know if this is common, but it was my experience.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

Rechargeable batteries often do have to be cycled a couple of times once used for the first time before they start holding the charge indicated by the cell. Some chargers have a built in function for discharging and conditioning batterries for this very purpose.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Sway,
Did you every check the individual cells to see if you had a dud in the string?

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilkey,

Good point I didn't check for duds, as RDShores and DaMeatMan pointed out I cycled them 3 times and each time I loaded them into the MINI HID (it pulls 1.06A) it would turn on and go out several seconds later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif so maybe I did have a dud or gave up on them to soon.

So junior there you have it, several good experiences vs mine that's what makes this place so great guess I should give them a another look someday as they do fit rather nicely in fivemega's 8AA to 2D holders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Kelly

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

JTR said [ QUOTE ]
This is why the 15 minute charger idea never made any sense to me. If new cells cost $15 or $20 each then I can see why a person might not want to keep a few extra sets handy but at $1 to $2 each for most cells it's cheaper to get a standard charger and some extras than to get the IC3 system. I'm leery of anything that pushes over 8A into a battery. If something goes wrong that's just asking for trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

My logic is simple; The Rayovac IC3 charges the batteries as fast (or faster) than I discharge them. I can grab a set of 4 batteries that were charged last month, throw them in the camera and throw a new set into the charger. The spare set is ready for use before my power hungry camera has finished off the first set.

If I know that I'm going to use a lot of cells, I can throw some in the charger at the start of my preperations and they are ready when I need them.

So far, the capacity has been great and none have heated more than my Surefire L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel