need tv advice

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok my dad called me he saw that if he signs up for voom hdtv he gets 300 off hdtv ready rear projection tv. ok he asked me to reseach it.ok i told him rear projection tvs, stink cause i always thought they did/.. well do they still stink whats the pro,s and cons?all info will be helpfuull ty

raggie33

*the raggedier*
he said they have all of em on sale at brandsmart if he signs up for voom,

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Tell him to go check them out if he can. It might be a good deal. It looks like a good deal. I haven't had any experience with VOOM so I don't know how good their servide is. I guess you should call and get some more info.

I guess this what your Dad saw:

BrandsMart Voom Ad

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool thank you for info.i hope he knows the sale ends tuesday .

kenny

Newly Enlightened
I second PW's comments. I didn't like the RP TV's until I saw a dlp set for the first time and I thought for a second it was plasma because the off-axis brightness was pretty good. They are WAY cheaper than the plasmas though and worth a look. Else do what I did and get a nice 36 inch tube -- I jsut couldn't handle the RP's dimness, lack of contrast, and off-axis drop-off.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
if avalable I would look into getting an extended warrenty if buying a rear projection tv. It's been My experance as a service tech that customers tend to have a better chance with an extended warranty saving them cash as some projection tv's have problems when it comes to reliability.
all of this is asuming the warranty is at a fair price.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
thats a nice one ! Just be carefull if anyone whants to play video games on it, it's rare but on crt type projection tv's they can be damaged by stationary objects being displayed. i.e the score/life/ect numbers that some video games have can burn the phosphor layer if the tv's brightness is set high or you play that game a lot

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool im glad its good one and i dont think my dad ever played a video game before lol aint his thing,he teases me cause i play em he got it for 1549 bucks didnt have to sign up for voom and got free dvd player