Luxeon Star 5-watters popping?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by vcal:
-Al, that SF KL-1 and the L1 use the 1 Watt Luxeon also, don't they? (not the 5 Watt), right? -haven't yet seen the SF catalog.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not Al, but I do know the KL1 and KL3 will use the 1-watt LS. I don't know about the L1 as I haven't heard of it yet. PK did apparently toy with the idea of a 5-watter (up to the point of building a prototype) but there were some issues - probably thermal management but maybe more than that. So that's on the back burner for the time being.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've heard from a reliable source that production of 5-watt LS emitters has been suspended, due to a problem with heat and bonding issues. To put this in english, these LEDs are popping at or before reaching their published specs!

There is a distinct possibility that a stable 5W LS emitter might not become publically available now until sometime in 2003.

Anyone who has samples should feel lucky you got them, and that they still work.
blush.gif

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
That's too bad.

There is a bright side though...
If nothing else, this at least should mean that the Arc LS2 would be produced for longer than we had anticipated.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Is it just the white ones or all of them? How are those samples holding up? Guys?
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's all 5-watt LS emitters, all colors, all configurations.
frown.gif

I don't know how the samples are holding up, since I don't yet have one.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just split the 'difference', so to speak, and just go with producing a 2.5 or 3 watt LED instead of jumping to a wattage that seems to be not working correctly.
confused.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
...PK did apparently toy with the idea of a 5-watter (up to the point of building a prototype) but there were some issues - probably thermal management but maybe more than that. So that's on the back burner for the time being.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">According to PK himself (here), he isn't working on this at all. He also doesn't give any indication as to why, but we can certainly guess that it's the heat issue. Maybe he knew something that we didn't until just now.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh CRUD!!!

If this is the case, what is the status of our group order, Wayne? (Elektrolumens)

I hate to have my pre-payment tied up for another 6 months or more.

Can we maybe change the order to HD units or something instead?

Thanks for the "Heads-up" Craig, even if it is bad news.

Size15's

Flashaholic
PK's basement 'army' maybe working on all sorts of things. I heard the SureFire Luxeon Christmas Tree Lights sets - codenamed "TreeFires" were originally proto-typed in his basement.

Al

Cutter

Enlightened
Hmmmmm......that particular product sounds like a 5 alarm fire just waiting to happen Al.

Has anyone heard word from Gransee about any of this?

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's enough to turn your hair strange shades of green...
wink.gif

I've got high hope for Luxeons. They've got to get this fixed.
Do they have any competition - either in similar technology or something we may consider exotic, but with hope.

Al
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Size15s:

I've got high hope for Luxeons. They've got to get this fixed.
Do they have any competition - either in similar technology or something we may consider exotic, but with hope.
Al
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The only possible competition is on the 1 Watt ones. Namely the not-too-recently mentioned upcoming Nichia 10X. (or X10)?

-Al, that SF KL-1 and the L1 use the 1 Watt Luxeon also, don't they? (not the 5 Watt), right? -haven't yet seen the SF catalog.

Looks like the Arc LS-2 could be offered for longer than Gransee had originally planned!
smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
So is Peter psychic? By underdriving the 5W in his LS3 has he not only made a nice, intelligent choice for a package but doged a bullet as well? It looks like his equally impressive and bright LS2 will be given more time and exposure in the market. Hmmmmmmm. Peter, have any stock tips?

- Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to Lumileds at:
1-877-298-9455 last week and again today.

Last weeks story was that there would be a 5W shipment coming end of Sept. with full product release end of Oct and full product availability after that. The Color 5W is fully released and available with about a 12 week lead time if you placed an order today.

Todays story is slightly different. The end of Sept batch has disappeared and is now being offered as Pre-release specials through Future as products for samples. You must specify exactly this or your order will be tacked onto the waiting list that will start to get processed starting end of October. There are problems with these pre-release parts and the deviation from specification will not be disclosed. At least from this rep, she said they will say what is wrong with them.

If you want to play with a 5W LED, it might be better to try to get some of the colored ones. These appear to have no know problems except for the possible lead time issues that you may if you ar lucky get them just before xmas!
smile.gif

Also, calling the above number and "putting on the professional voice" you can request a sample and Lumileds will get you one eventually. That is how I got my Green is via a sample request way back in June. BTW: You cannot stipulate what color or type you get. You will get a sample and what color or type will be random.

========== Update ============
Called Future and they give me a different story which doesn't jive with the factory so disregard the above information as being totally correct.
============ Update ==========

-WayneY