Highest Output possible for a laserpointer

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
Is the highest output for a laserpointer <75mW ??
I'm interested, because i believe change the resistor, the diode, the alignement, the pot, the IR filter and such should bring the output over 75mW. . . if it is possible, can anyone do it for me ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will pay the modification price and the component prices. . . as long as the current stays under 400mA. . .and i can return it if it screws up. . .don't know if its possible tho. .

LaserMod

Enlightened
Hmm, we are back here again, yes WHO KNOWS WHICH RESISTORS TO CHANGE? I have my soldering iron and laser apart as I type.

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
people have successfully got over 100mW output from short circuiting the pot. . . i believe changing the resistor, the diode, the alignement, the pot, the IR filter and such should bring the output over 100mW. . . but i'm not sure if this is good for the laser itself (reduced lifetime). . . can anyone confirm ?? and do it for me ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
to short it to the case, do i just solder some wire from the pot, out of the hole and press the wire onto the case when i want to use it ?

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
just somehow connect the pot with the case, you can permanately attach them, or do the wire one. .

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
will i have to take the laser apart cos it will be quite hard to solder it as the button hole is pretty small

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
if the hole is too small, i guess taking the laser apart to solder is needed, but i don't think its that hard . . .

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
i just got it working for a few seconds using a paper clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol

It was very bright but its hard to keep the button press, wire on paper clip and on the case on your own !

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
glad to hear it worked, just keep in mind that it over drives the diode, so don't use it that way too often . . .

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
I think ill be lucky to get it working again tonight, my fingers are killing me already !

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
haha, you really should try and solder it on. . .
but then again, you won't be needing that much power all the time. .

Woodsie

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but at least i'll get some use out of it, instead of it sitting on my desk