Where to buy Silicone Grease? (a small tube preferred)

Spudman

Enlightened
I found some at a watch repair site. I can't seem to find the link. It was about a two ounce jar. I also found some at diver's supply stores, but the cost was a little higher.
G.

Spudman

Enlightened
Mine said silicone grease. I did a google search with that name to find it. On the box it said "silicone grease for watch repair" Sorry I lost the link.
G

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ledled:
Does it say "silicone grease" or maybe under a slightly difference name?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got mine at NAPA and it's called "dielectric silicone grease". It's clear, thick, and slippery. It was next to the sparkplug wires on thier display.

JohnG

Enlightened
Ace Hardware...plumbing section is where I got mine. Usually automotive departments will only carry Lithium grease. NOT the same.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Auto part stores carry dielectric silicone grease. I got a sample pack for $.25 at AutoZone.

pec50

Enlightened
Automotive parts store ... ask for disk brake lubricant. Shouldn't cost more than a dollar.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FNG:
Can I use dielectric grease for o-rings?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what I'm using it for...

It also works great for keeping sparkplug wire boots from adhering to the sparkplugs on my shovelhead.
cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Be careful with products that claim to be Teflon or Silicone; they may still contain petrochemicals which are devastating to some O rings, especially those made with butyl rubber. If in doubt check with the manufacturer to see if the rings are petro safe.

Here is an excellent, non petroleum based product popular with CPF'ers a while back. They used to send free samples; I still use mine.

SUPER LUBE

Brightnorm

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: how would I know if my silicone lube isn't dielectric? Since it eventually gets on the threads, I assume that a non-dielectric lube would disrupt the circuit, and I'd lose some light output. Since that hasn't happened, I'm assuming I'm using a dielectric grease. And I'm assuming here that "dielectric" means "conducts electricity".

Joe

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity.

Never had a problem with it. If the contact surfaces are held together with enough pressure the grease pretty much moves out of the way and allows metal on metal contact. I coat the batteries in my photon 2's with it and have never had a poor contact problem (and also have never had a problem with water/corrosion.)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
"dielectric" means "conducts electricity".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. But. Most grease will not stop conductivity. There is still lots of metel contact at the threads. I read a rather long thread about this issue that I won't repeat here but the end result is not to worry.