Energizer LED Headlamp

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
I was at Target today and noticed a new Energizer LED Headlamp. It had a single Red Led and a pair of White Led's. The White Led's had some optics in front of them - looked interesting. It had a sliding switch to select single Red or dual White's and a headband - no strap over the top. It was priced at $14.99, didn't purchase it(yet). Anyone else seen this headlamp?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seen it, looked interesting, yet it only had two white LED's. That steered me away from it. Although it looks like a good headlamp...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one. The case is very solid, and in my very informal drop test it resists popping open and throwing batteries everywhere better than my Zipka.

The round lenses do a very good job of focusing the light output from the white leds for a suprisingly good throw; maybe 35-40 feet usable light outside on a medium bright night. Not as bright up close as my Zipka, but a more focused throw.

The red led is also plenty bright for bumping around the backyard or going to the kitchen in the middle of the night.

The headband is reasonably comfortable and secure. I worry that the hinge on the led assembly might get loose with use, but the way it is designed a small piece of double sided tape could fix that for good. The switch feels ok, but not super solid.

It will not replace my Zipka for carrying around with me in a pocket, but I do plan to buy a couple more of these to leave in the various vehicle toolboxes. Well worth $15 IMHO.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I too saw this light and bought one.

Here is my opinion:

Advantages:
Small size and Lightweight
Dual color lights, 2 white and one red
Magnafied optics for the lights
Powered by 3 standard AAA alkaline batteries
Easy to operate switch
Low/reasonable cost

Disadvantages:
Not water/weather proof or even resistant
Switch is too easy to operate and seems weak
Lacks multiple attachment means

Recommendations:
Light could be improved by:
Making it at least water/weather resistant and preferably waterproof
Improve the switch
Incorporate some type of alternative attachment methods such as clips.

Overall:

For the price, a pretty good light. But there are better on the market.

Check out the Ray-O-Vac Sportsman 3-In-1 Head-Lite which features 1 lowbeam white LED light, 2 Red LEDs, and a super bright krypton beam similar to a mini-mag. It is powered by 3 standard AAA alkaline batteries contained in a battery holder, a 3 position very positive acting switch, headband with over the head strap, reasonably small and lightweight - not much bigger or heavier than the Energizer LED headlight. While I am generally an Engergizer fan, I think that Ray-O-Vac came up with a better light in this one.

Originally posted by jabajet:
I was at Target today and noticed a new Energizer LED Headlamp. It had a single Red Led and a pair of White Led's. The White Led's had some optics in front of them - looked interesting. It had a sliding switch to select single Red or dual White's and a headband - no strap over the top. It was priced at $14.99, didn't purchase it(yet). Anyone else seen this headlamp?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
I bought a Sportsman a couple of weeks ago and mounted a complete direct drive Luxeon in it, makes an excellant work light now.The 2 red LEDs are handy for hunting purposes as the white LED is very bright.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Daniel, do you only run yours for 30 seconds at a time? I did the same mod, but the Luxeon was getting HOT HOT HOT after only 20 seconds or so, even turning more blueish as the temp went up. I spent a few minutes making a heatsink from aluminum that fits over the two plastic posts, and even then, it was heating up way too fast for my liking. I ended up resistoring it down with a pair or 10 Ohm resistors, so it's not as bright, but atleast is doesn't melt the plastic
tongue.gif

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Plinko, I took a complete Luxeon with optics, holder and heatsink and cut the heatsink round to fit in the pocket, also removed the collimator holder. Can't say why yours is hot but mine is or has been on for at least several minutes at a time like when I had to do some emergeny wiring at my plant in total darkness and I needed the higher intensity Luxeon illumination.I would suppose if other than regular AAA batteries were used the Luxeon will feed of them like a thirsty vampire, especially if you had hi-cap batteries like nickle metal hydrides or lithiums.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the case on the Energizer LED headlamp is able to be opened/modified? Has anyone tried it yet?

Zephyr

Enlightened
I actually opened one of these puppies just to check and see what's in it. It has two resistors to keep the current down on both sides of the board. In my opinion, there's nothing really much you can do with this thing except changing the LEDs and re-aligning it so that you'll have one perfectly aligned beams instead of two. Well, out of curiousity though, I took out the resistors so that I can run it direct drive. It did make it noticeably brighter. It's even brighter than my Brinkmann Long Life LED. The only drawback is that it's putting out too much juice that the LED can handle so the LED gets hot rather quickly. In fact, the board gets too hot too handle in just a few minutes of run time. So, I don't think it's a good idea taking out the resistors, unless you have somekind of a heatsink in there. Other than that, this is a pretty good light.

ZEPH

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I have one and I really like the focused beam. My complaint would be that even on the widest the headstrap is too tight and gives me a headache after just a couple minutes. I may try to add a top headstrap as well.
Gadgetmanjim