Headlamps: PT Aurora & Streamlight Septor--mini report/review

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, I was trying to make up my mind as to which
LED headlamp to give the kids for Christmas.

They're each getting an ARC AAA LE...but for a
headlamp, I was torn between the PT Aurora and
the Streamlight Septor.

The thing that kept me from just buying two more
Auroras was the annoying flickering on low power.
The boys want it for reading in bed--which is
what I use it for as well.

As a description, the PT Aurora has 3 white LEDs
and the Septor has (no surprise) 7. The Aurora
uses a current regulator to run all three LEDs at
all intensities. The Septor switches the number
of LEDs on at a time.

Both run off 3 AAA cells.

The Aurora has the annoying flicker at the lowest
setting. It is partially visible at some levels
of discharge in the medium setting. I find the
flicker annoying for reading.

The Septor is annoying for reading with rings and
such from the built-in reflector, but losing it
doesn't lose too much center beam intensity and
makes the beam smoother.

The Septor also has an annoying ratchet that
helps maintain elevation angle (both sag if their
screws are loose). Fortunately, it can be non-
destructively removed.

The Septor comes with a top strap. The Aurora
doesn't have one. The Aurora is about half the
size of the Septor.

The Aurora weighs about 3 ozs and the Septor
about 4.5 with batteries.

I've had the Aurora turn on once by itself in my
shoulder bag. I THINK the Septor's switch may be
less prone to turn on. IF the Septor turns on,
the first step is low. In the Aurora, the first
step is high.

So here are some numbers
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

Brightness with fresh batteries
The Septor numbers are with/without the reflector
-----------------------------
Level PT Aurora SL Septor
Hi 60cd 85/80cd (7 LEDs)
Med 30cd 44/36cd (3 LEDs)
Low 16cd 28/26cd (1 LED)
-
Brightness levels with well-used batteries
and no reflector for the Septor. These were two
bars on the RS digital battery tester and open
circuit 1.14V and provide 13cd in an Arc AAA LE
(a fresh cell is 19-20cd)
-
Hi 16cd 16cd (7 LEDs)
Med 13cd 10cd (3 LEDs)
Low 10cd 6cd (1 LED)
-
Current consumption (fresh cells)
Hi 195mA 170mA (7 LEDs)
Med 85mA 105mA (3 LEDs)
Low 36mA 48mA (1 LED)
-
Estimated Life (using Energizer data, somewhat
massaged and the above used cell as approx end of
life criteria--utilizing 1000mAh as a baseline as
the current falls as the battery voltage falls)
-
Hi 5h 6h (7 LEDs)
Med 12h 10h (3 LEDs)
Low 28h 21h (1 LED)</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Aurora has a slow and a fast flash mode for
marking a camp (for example) or as a hazard
warning (although I prefer a Xenon amber strobe
for that).

I hope you all find this of some
interest.

I would be open to another suggestion of an LED
headlamp that would be good for my boys. It needs
dimming, however. I might look at an AA one. Must
be a one-piece unit for robustness.

Cheers,

Richard

FNG

Enlightened
Ive got an Aurora and like it a lot. It seems brighter than my Attitude though. Could be old batteries. I havent got the chance to get more AAA's.

rlhess

Enlightened
Thanks, FNG.

Yes, I like it a lot too. I'm not thinking of getting rid of it, but I do find that little wink quite annoying for reading.

Does yours do that?

Cheers,

Richard

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking really for a reading lamp, you might consider the Energizer Folding Lantern ($8 at Walmart).

It has 2 white LEDs and puts out an extremely smooth, even light (with no flicker) with (claimed) 100+ hours from 4 AAs. I've used mine to read both camping and at home. You can either position it above the sleeping area to shine down or if you are laying on your back, sit it on your chest to light up the book. The light head can be swivled to just about any position making this an extremely flexible light.

Hard to go wrong for $8 at Walmart (plus you can return it within 90 days if you really don't like it).

My daughter has the Aurora. She likes it (and dislikes it for the same reasons... the flicker).

MDM

Newly Enlightened
rlhess: Thanks for such a thorough review! This should be beneficial to many who are considering headlamps.

Have you considered the Photon Fusion?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by rlhess:
I would be open to another suggestion of an LED
headlamp that would be good for my boys. It needs
dimming, however. I might look at an AA one. Must
be a one-piece unit for robustness.

Cheers,

Richard
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check the link below for discussion of an inexpensive 8 LED headlamp. It uses the more economical AA cells but as a consequence is heavier.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001706#000009

rlhess

Enlightened
Thanks, MDM, I'll look at the Photon.

Thanks, DougS. The 4AA is too heavy, I suspect and the mechanical switch sounds underwhelming. Both the Septor and the Aurora have electronic switches.

Cheers,

Richard

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richard,

Thanks for the info on the Aurora. Since the brightness of the LED's dim as the batteries become weak, the "current regulation" appears to be nothing more that the effect one would get from using resistors of different sizes for the various brightness levels. No real step-up regulation going on here at all. Very underwhelming.

You can clear up the rings on the Septor by covering the clear lens with WriteRight. I'm finding that many lights benefit from the smoothing effect and it makes "unacceptable" beams very servicable.

I recently found a 12 pack at WalMart in the clearance section of the electronics dept for $2. That's 1/10 the original cost.

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Doug P,

Thanks--the removal of the reflector in the Septor solves 99% of the ring problem. I do have WriteRight on my Arc sLS to protect it. I also use it <gasp> on my Palm Vx to protect the screen. (imagine using a product for it's originally intended purpose!!!)

Good news: you should be able to get the WriteRight INSIDE the Septor if you decide to do it.

I agree with you about the underwhelmingness of the Aurora. I really liked it at first, but the blinking got to me and then I got a hint that the battery life wasn't close to "as advertised" -- I mean sheesh...they claim 150 hours at low level. After the 50th hour, I suspect the only real use of the light would be to find it <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
they claim 150 hours at low level. After the 50th hour, I suspect the only real use of the light would be to find it
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah. I see you have applied "Doug's Law of LED Illumination"
wink.gif
which states that:

"In general, you should take the battery life claimed by the LED flashlight manufacturer and divide by 3. This is how long the light will probably produce light before you will want to change the batteries."

For some reason this seems true in most cases. I wish there were some "real" standard that mfgrs would follow regarding "usable" light.

rlhess

Enlightened
Hmmm...

Looked into the Photon Fusion...twice the price of the Septor or the Aurora. Also with 3AAs it would be substantially heavier/larger.

Also...this new thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002981 seems to express some displeasure with the mechanics of the Fusion.

Maybe the Septor is the right choice? Perhaps I'll just get two of those for the boys...and stock up on AAAs. I'll try it for a week or so before committing.

Cheers,

Richard

bwcaw

Enlightened
That is wierd, I just bought an Aurora, and used it on a four day camping trip in northern Minnesota, and I never saw a flicker out of mine.
I did use it in low power mode a lot for reading at night (duh) and it never filckered. Did yours start after it had been used, or did it come that way?

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Bigwuss,

I've heard of several people's Auroras doing that. Scenario: pitch black room. Lowest setting. Look at the white page. Little tick-tick....tick-tick. Not a lot but it irks me (and apparently others). I don't notice it at all when I'm not reading seriously. It did it from at least day three if not day one.

I think the lower capacity of NiMHs would give you less run time, but more even output. Then you have the headache of HOW TO CHARGE THREE ? ? ? Most chargers charge in pairs.

I'm thinking of NiMHs but I can buy a LOT of alkalines for that price...and the kids don't need to change them that often <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the Energizer folding light for reading, and have been using an Aurora without noticing the low-brightness flicker, though I just pulled it out and yes indeed, there it is, very clock-like "tick-tick....tick-tick...." flicker. Hmmmm.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer folding lantern is very nice for reading.

rlhess

Enlightened
Right...and the factor is probably at least 2 for incandescents <smile>. I just got caught with my specs down on my UKE 2L & Q40 mini review in that regard.

Cheers,

Richard

Blikbok

Enlightened
I've never noticed the flicker on my Aurora, however I use it mostly on the high setting. Definately never used the blink except to annoy people.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using Septor as my reading light for sometimes. I use NiMH AAA and charge it once in awhile to keep it in full brightness. Throwing away half used alkalines is just too much for me.

Alan