Foxfury Breakthrough

Thread: True Grit flashlights - anyone else have one?

Default True Grit flashlights - anyone else have one?

I spent quite a while as a fireman/paramedic. Long ago (mid to late 70s) I bought a flashlight called True Grit. It was a machined aluminum modular D cell body light made, I believe, here in Cleveland, Ohio. You could add or subtract body modules to go from 2D to however many you wanted and could find a lamp for. Mine is usually in 3D mode, but I have modules to go out to 6 if I want. The head is easily 3/8" thick in places, and ads showed it stopping a 38 caliber bullet. Everything was easily replaceable. Even the lanyard stud unscrewed and if you put it into the tailcap from the inside the end was smooth so it could stand on end. The tailcap, and all the modules for that matter, have very long threads so that you don't have to get them started against spring pressure when you are replacing batteries - something I wish everyone did, especially Mag.

The beam is not adjustable, and is a fairly tight spot. It went on a lot of calls with me, and broke out more than a few car windows and windshields. Mine is now pretty obviously a scarred veteran, but it still works just fine, and it's tempting to convert it to Luxeon. I've never seen another one though.

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: True Grit flashlights - anyone else have one?

Welcome to cpf and hold on to your wallet.

sounds like a candidate for one of the drop-in luxeon modules available for mag*

Larry has a model in his stash, don't know if it's like yours. I gather they didn't catch on. I've never seen one in person.

Its curiosity value is probably more than the user, so I'm not sure I'd mod a light like that. Not likely to get spare parts if something goes wrong.

If anyone reading this has one of these lights they don't use, I'm buying. My police light collection is still lacking one.

I have one. The 5th from left to right has the name Tru-Grit on it.

Use the ubb code box : "URL" . In the popup window, paste the url, press ok, enter a name for the link. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Here I go again with this photo size problem. Go to my homepage and photo album and you can see the full size picture where you can read "Tru-Grit" on the side of the flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to it that couldn't be 100% reversed. It obvously is rare and no longer produced. I'd keep it "as-is" to preserve a little piece of flashlight history and find something else to mod.
    Just my 2 cents.

Flashaholic*

just get a mag to mod avalibe in 2-6 c or d cells, however i havent seen 5 cells around in a while... all metal about 10-25 bucks and of decent quality. however they have horrid beams and not so great runtimes so they make ideal mod platforms.

Could be a good candidate for an EverLED. Looks like it has the usual old-timey reflector setup. What's the switch like? Typical slide design?

Thanks for resizing the picture Stein. Switch is the usual slide switch.

Unenlightened

Shrug Re: True Grit flashlights - anyone else have one?

I just got one of these at a yard sale and can't get it to work. The trouble is in the on/ off slide and was wondering if someone else who has one could post a picture of how theres is set up. Mine just has a straight piece of metal off of the slide and does not seem to contact anything purposeful. as a matter of fact it seems to be scratching the bulb housing if anything. Thanks.