3rd Platoon’s top 20 “must haves” - USMC in Iraq

capnal

Enlightened
The following list, in no particular order, includes 20 "must have" items of Marines from 3rd Platoon Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment during Operation Al Fajr:

top 20 must haves

This is a cool article. Everyone should read this.

I was glad to see item number 20 on the list, however, I hope the Camo AA MiniMag shown in the picture is not what they had in mind!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3rd Platoon's top 20 "must haves" - USMC in Ir

That's a good list. Hopefully the cushions for the Kevlar helmets will be outdated soon because of replacement by the Advanced Combat Helmet. It's lighter, has built in cushions, and is a little trimmer in back so that you can raise your head while in the prone.
Carabiners are a lifesaver. Both the big ones for actual climbing, and the litle ones for attaching things like keys, compasses, gloves, whatever. Best in black though.
Everyone should have three lights IMO. One a red LED for looking through a rucksack or reading, the second a high-intensity light for when entering rooms, target ID, the basic tactical stuff, and the third for searching people, cars, dressers, whatever.

Aloft

Enlightened

I've been wondering where to get a pair of the Ballistic Goggles. . . I assume that these are the goggles we see most marines wearing on the nightly news. Anyone know?

supes

Enlightened

Good List. I got to say Oakley's are needed also. Those look like ESS NVG desert goggles in the picture in the article. ESS and Bolle goggles are the good ones. I've tried the ESS NVG and Bolle T-800's and their good to go. Lightfighter.com and Safetyglassesusa.com has them on their site.

Aloft

Enlightened

Thanks for the links supes. . . I'll check it out.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I realy like the ESS Profile, or ESS Profile NVG (depends on who's advertising it), that we were issued. The guys wth glasses got the ESS Land Warrior {more open foam to prevent fogging, there is also a vehicle version with a tighter foam to better filter out dust) since those will fit over most prescription glasses. The Profile goggles can be fitted with prescription inserts though if that is a concern. They are the thickest goggles made I think, at 2.8mm, but still very comfortable to wear.
For uch less, but still ok protection, you can get a pair of the older Sun, Wind, Dust (SWD) goggles with balistic lenses. Not nearly as good as the ESS though, but normally less than $20 at surplus stores.