Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stun Guns Anybody ?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Stun Guns Anybody ?

[ QUOTE ]
    Joe Talmadge said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    lightmeup said:
    Has anybody ever had any experience or know anything about these "Myotron" stun guns? They are fairly expensive, and claim to work differently than the usual stun device. Just wondering if they are really any different, or if it's just a marketing come-on.
    http://www.securityplanet.com/mcm32.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Useless junk, like the rest. In the past, there have been a few people who have tried them. Don't remember where I saw it last reviewed, but no one has tried it for the past few years, since they seem to have been totally debunked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, for the sake of science I'll 'fess up and admit that I had one of these Myotron gizmos several years ago. I think what swayed me was some DoD or other official-sounding agency report that said that the particular charging pattern used by the device was more effective than the usual stun gun effect. After I had it for about 6 months, of course my curiosity got the best of me, and since my roommate wouldn't let me test it out on him, I finally tried it on myself. First I used it on my thigh while I was wearing jeans (didn't know what to expect at that point). Press the button, crackle crackle sound, do a quick jab into my thigh and ... nothing. All I felt was the pressure from the tips. So I held it against my thigh for longer. I thought I could feel something, but it was still very weak. So, emboldened, I changed into shorts and tried it directly against my skin. I could feel the electric shocks, but it wasn't really anything close to disabling. It sort of stung a little bit, sort of like hitting yourself with a relatively light wooden dowel. Annoying and irritating, but certainly not capable of stopping any kind of determined attacker. Probably much more effective to clock someone on the head with it. Maybe mine was defective, but it sounds like others have had similar results.

John

[ QUOTE ]
    Joe Talmadge said:Sig, slap some new batteries in there and try it on yourself, that's what I'd do if I had questions.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]
    --------------------
    Oh I did that years ago! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I held it in my left hand with thumb & index finger as close as I could get without touching the probes. With the right index finger I performed a "microsecond tap" on the switch...WOW ----> Did I say "WOW"?

Voltage went from my hand all the way up to my chin "like yesterday"...so fast and certainly noticeable. Now keep in mind that was like a "microsecond"...they say in actual use to hold it against the subject for 5 seconds.

I will not try that on myself! No way! No, No No!!!

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    I will not try that on myself! No way! No, No No!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, we'll compromise. You hand it to me, and I'll try it on you instead

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Joe

*Mammoth Killer*

The Police Model smaller version(X-26)cycles for 5 seconds after the trigger is pulled.It then stops however can be activated again with another pull of the trigger and goes for another 5 seconds.This can be repeated for several times however once is almost always enough.
    I do think the civilian version has a different cycle rate and do not know about the actual output.I will honestly say that I have never seen anyone be able to function with these prongs attatched correctly.If used correctly I can almost guarantee that this will be effective.I watched it knock down every officer hit with it,including myself,and I am not a little man and some of my co-workers are hulking animals and all were humbled quickly.
    I have noticed many in this thread seem to worry about lawsuits or liability of using something like this product.I can understand however I can tell you first hand that when it comes to my life I could care less about liability or lawsuit.I think this is what is wrong with many sections of law enforcement as well as personal protection.Many seem to worry about the civil part or the fact that a weapon may be cruel or dangerous.Well that is the entire point is that it is for self defense and is supposed to save your life.I personally will act first and worry about the rest later if my life is in danger.
    Regardless of all that I feel this is an incredible tool and it has saved me and many criminals from physical harm many times.
    Also the ones we carry are not really a single shot.There is an area to attatch a spare cartridge on the bottom of the hand grip and acts almost like a grip extension.Once fired you can quickly change a cartridge for another shot.I had to be trained on this and if done correctly you can actually get a shot off very fast.
    Anyway hate to did up an old thread however I was just searching old posts and came across this one.

Flashaholic

Well... I thought I would chime in here as I'm my departments Taser instructor. The X26C is the same as the police model X26 except for the duration of the shock. Both guns use 5 watts of power(versus 26 watts for the M26 and 18 watts for the civilian M18), and both guns put out 50,000 volts, and far below 1 amp of power. Where the police X26 is designed to shock for 5 seconds when you pull the trigger (though you can just hold the trigger down and shock continuously for up to something like 130 seconds..)the civilian X26C is designed to go through a 60 second cycle. The much longer cycle is designed to give civilians a chance to run away from the threat....though at approximately $900.00 each for the X26C, I'm not sure I would be so quick to leave it. The only reason the X26C has a 15 foot range and the X26 has a 21 foot range is because of the length of the wires contained in the cartridges, if you could find/buy some police spec 21 foot cartridges, then you could use them on the X26C. Having taken the full 5 second hits from both the older M26 and the newer X26, I can honestly say they hurt.... A LOT. If used correctly and everything goes right they are extremely effective, if your willing to spend the money, I would rate the taser as more effective than pepper spray...

Flashaholic*

I was picturing in my head the wild west all over again with guys carrying tasers, tasering each other grabbing their booty just to be tasered by someone else down the street and have their stolen booty stolen from them.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    mrorange said:
    The much longer cycle is designed to give civilians a chance to run away from the threat....though at approximately $900.00 each for the X26C, I'm not sure I would be so quick to leave it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would.
    There is a free replacement policy.
    The literature says that it will be replaced for free if a police report is filed documenting it use and loss.

Anyone tried discharging a camera flash capicator through a transformer?

-Note, don't try this on yourself unless you want to get thrown across the room!

I would imagine that the insulation in the transformer windings would break down very quickly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I did one in my hand. Felt like I had hold of a buzzing bee. Stung too and left a burn mark. I tried to power a head light with it, no go. I then shorted the terminals and ((((BANG)))) a loud pop as I made a spark and slightly welded the thing to the light terminals.

Small Arms Review had a positive review of both the M-18 and the M-26 models in their Oct. 2002 issue (note: the compact form-factor X-26 model didn't come out until later).

The M-18 is the 18-Watt version, the M-26/X-26 are 26-Watt versions. Duh, right?

I, personally, have an M-18L (the laser-equipped version, the only version available to civilians at the time I bought it a year or two ago).

I have had the M-18 tested on myself (applied by a more-than-happy to try wife), and I can tell you that it is OUCH, and you will lose all muscular control (but not consciousness) for duration of the power-cycle. I started on my knees, and sofa cushions all around me. Ended up on my side on the cushions. It also left two nice little welts on my back. I don't wish to ever try the 26-Watt versions.

One of the keys to any Taser is to use only the OEM RECHARGEABLE NI-MH BATTERIES! And to recharge them every 2-4 weeks! Yes, this is a pain, but regular and even lithium batteries do not effect the same power-transfer to the receiving end of the prongs!

Those of you who are USN Suspect can do a search on this same subject, and many of the LEO members there, too, can vouch first-hand for the efficacy of the receiving end of a Taser.

Re-loading is not difficult, but time-consuming, and unlikely in the event of a confrontation with an intruder in your home. You basically get one-shot. Miss, and its essentially transition-to-pistol if that's your back-up, or hand-to-hand.

HTH!

Here's info on battery-selection straight from the Taser International website:

WHAT IS THE REAL WORLD DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALKALINE AND NIMH BATTERIES IN THE ADVANCED TASER?
    Fresh Duracell Ultra® or Energizer Titanium E2® batteries will provide a rate of 12-15 electrical pulses per second. Fully charged NiMH batteries provide a rate of 15-20 pulses per second. NiMH batteries give the strongest output, and perform much better in cold weather. However, undercharged batteries will cause weapon failure. Battery failures with rechargeable batteries in older TASERs have resulted in escalation of force because officers had to move up the use of force continuum. The recommended alkaline batteries have a stronger shelf life (4-6 years). Again, the selection of the battery is very important. The trade off is better pulse rate versus maintaining a fully charged set of NiMH batteries.

6. ALKALINE BATTERIES ARE 1.5 VOLTS AND THE NIMH BATTERIES ARE RATED AT 1.2 VOLTS, WHY THE DIFFERENCE?
    NiMH batteries are ideal substitutes for most high drain electronics. There is no need to worry about the apparent voltage differences. Even though alkaline batteries are rated at nominal 1.5 Volts, they only deliver 1.5 Volts when they are fresh. In fact, over the course of their discharge, alkaline batteries actually average about 1.2 Volts. The main difference is that an alkaline battery starts at 1.5 Volts and gradually drops to less than 1.0 Volts. NiMH batteries stay at about 1.2 Volts for most of their discharge cycle.

HTH!

Flashaholic*

Your explination sounds ok. Then you got those cops tasering cops for fun behind the jail on those hidden camera shows, braggin how they left the taser on so his friend "rode the lighting". Then those taser websites where they repeat, "Ill do what ever you want" after a suspect is tasered once if not a few times. Lastly, it just seems strange that shooting two probes into the skin of a person and running hundreds of thousands of volts across the two terminals is ok, where most house hold electronics warn of shock hazard and other things warn us of sharp edges.

Maybe its just me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12