2004 Lummies around the Corner, Suggestions Sought

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, gang, the 2004 Lummies are right around the corner; and as promised last year--has it gone by that fast?--we're seeking suggestions for Categories.

Current categories, as voted on in 2003 are:

1/ EDC FLASHLIGHT
2/ NON-RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT
3/ RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT
4/ LED FLASHLIGHT
5/ FLASHLIGHT MANUFACTURER (NON-MOD)
6/ MODS MANUFACTURER
7/ FLASHLIGHT ACCESSORY
8/ FLASHLIGHT RETAILER
9/ BATTERY MANUFACTURER
10/ RETAILER WEBSITE
11/ MANUFACTURER WEBSITE
12/ FLASHLIGHT INFORMATION WEBSITE
13/ CPF Member of the Year

Now, remember, these votes are hand-tallied, so there is not going to be sub-categories, three-deep. What we're looking for are categories that are somehow "missing" from or "novel" to the above listed categories.

The timeline we are currently looking at is to have all categories listed and up by say Dec. 15 or so, and have voting extend through the 1st or 2nd week in January. Results to be announced at or around end of January 2005.

I will require a committed assistant in "keeping score", so all volunteers please email me. You should be a longstanding CPF'er, with good creds, and able to keep a secret.

Cheers!

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Re: 2004 Lummies around the Corner, Suggestions So

How about 2 classes for most of the above, value/stock class, and money no object? That would prove a useful guide for those working on a budget and those without.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might be appropriate to include a category for "Laser Retailer."

Lara

Newly Enlightened

If there is a category "LED flashlight", shouldn't there be a category "Incandescent flashlight" (like in the CPF profile)?

What about 4 LED categories: 5mm, 1W, 3W, 5W?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Suggestions:

Category 2&3-
Seems kinda vague, since most flashlights are able to use rechargeable batteries, and there are only a few that recharge in a cradle.

Category 5-
How about Flashlight manufacturer (commercial)

Category 6-
How about Flashlight Manufacturer (Non-Commercial)*
* Complete short run manufacturers

New Categories-

1/ EDC Flashlight
2/ Incandescent Flashlight
3/ LED Flashlight
4/ Spotlight
5/ Laser
6/ Flashlight Manufacturer (Commercial)
7/ Flashlight Manufacturer (Non-Commercial)
8/ CPF Modder
9/ Flashlight Accessory
10/ Flashlight Retailer
11/ Battery Manufacturer
12/ Retailer Website
13/ Manufacturer Website
14/ Flashlight Review/Information Website
15/ CPF Member of the Year

raggie33

*the raggedier*

can you vote for one flashlight in more then one catgory? mr bulks lh is in a few catgoies

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
can you vote for one flashlight in more then one catgory? mr bulks lh is in a few catgoies

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC from last year, yes.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think there was a bit of feedback and discussion of the process in this thread.

For example, here is what I said:

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I voted. First off - thanks Guncollector for doing this. I'm sure it's a lot of work.

Here are a few suggestions.

Perhaps we should consider a nomination period before the vote. I wonder if people could see a list of canidates they might see something they would like to vote for but hadn't thought of. Also, it would get everyone selecting from the same pool of canidates so each canidate would be considered before the vote. That way you know that XXX was chosen over YYY because that's the one people picked, not that they didn't think of YYY because it is obscure.

I'd like to see slots for:

- best mod of the year
- modder of the year
- best enabling technology
- incandecent light
- headlamp
- best emergency light

I also found the whole maker/seller business confusing. I think it would have been a lot less confusing if it weren't for the "but not ones that sell direct" stuff. Maybe it would be easier if simplified - who cares if they only or also sell via web / brick & mortar?

- Best flashlight maker.
- Best flashlight vendor.

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

Maybe a posthumous, honorary award for ARC

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i like the idea of a "best bang-for-the-buck" light.

Bob

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I'd like to see a category for 'Most helpful'. There are several folks (the dougs spring to mind) that are always giving out expert advice and helping people with their own mods. People like tvodrd and Mc gizmo and Unnerv have been very instrumental in helping me learn about modding the hardware side (machining and such).

I think these folks help make CPF what it is and should be recognized.

Daniel

Kiessling

Flashaholic

It might be nice to have nominees, but that might be a bit over the top effort-wise.

IMHO we absolutely need a category for each class of light ... incan, LED, spot, HID, laser, mod and custom

AND we should have CPF-related categories like most innovative idea, best upgrade, best electronic component, etc.

bernhard

avusblue

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
How about 2 classes for most of the above, value/stock class, and money no object? That would prove a useful guide for those working on a budget and those without.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
i like the idea of a "best bang-for-the-buck" light.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I second both of these motions. Sort of a "best of the best" award, plus a "best value for the dollar" award, in each category (however the categories end up shaking out) would be appropriate in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave

Zackerty

Enlightened

What about "Best Bang for the Buck" for any item or person?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
It might be nice to have nominees, but that might be a bit over the top effort-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bernhard,

Why would this be overly difficult? We just have a period where people send in their suggestions, then instead of presenting the voting with an empty box, we just have each catagory be multiple choice.

The upside with this is that everyone picks from the same list, that way they pick the best of what people come up with.

For example, imagine if I was the only one who thought about Don's tailcap :). So he gets one vote and loses. But if everyone saw that as a choice, they'd say, yah, that is right, Don's tailcap gizmo (pun?) was awful cool!

The other thing about going this route is you might be able to use the poll function of the forum to tally the votes! :)

In general, I think it would provide a more balanced result and I don't think it needs to be super complicated.

In fact, you might even be able to streamline it more. For the nomination period, let's say a post was opened for each catagory. People simply reply to that post with their nomination for that catagory. At the end, the thread is locked, the results scooped up, and a new post is opened with a poll with those contents. No email tallies, etc.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is an example how the nominee/poll thing might work.

This seems to work well, but it might be easier to break them up into one catagory polls because it could be an awful lot of work to create the full poll in one sitting.

-john

McGizmo

Flashaholic

John,
You might be on to something there but I am the only guy that liked option 26 ?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, for a guy who likes option 26, it is too bad you didn't vote for it! :)

-john

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Well then maybe it was 25, they are so close that it *was* a toss up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif