Ventile cargo pants?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand "ventile" (ventilated, maybe?) but there was an active thread re cargo pants very recently.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
FYI as I recall, ventile is a kind of treated cotton that is highly water resistant, and it's developed during WWII for British naval aviators flying in the North Sea.

Howies.co.uk has a pair of nice ventile pants (no cargo) to go along with the ventile jacket (going to pick up one myself the next time I visit my friends in the UK). Otherwise I have no idea.

Have you looked into other water resistant cottons?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Far as I know ventile is so densely woven that it is quite water resistant. it aint coated I think. I do not know anything about other water resistant cottons.

klättermusen describes their cotton as "eta-proof" but one place in their literature it is called ventile so that made me wonder if infact it is the same stuff.

thanks for the pointer shaghaied. Found a brand called lowrider which apparently makes ventile cargo's and some wool pants but their pages are impossible to understand, in chinese. Would not know how to order from them even.

What is that tent on the front page of the howies site?

MikeF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:
BIGIRON, Could you help me find that thread? I did a search for +cargo +pants and couldn't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link I started earlier this week: Link

There was also a group buy going on that was here: Link 2

Here is a review in Outside Magazine, comparing Ventile with newer outdoor fabrics: Link 3

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks MikeF. I saw your post on the TrailHikers and bookmarked the link. Yes, I knew about the GB, and was sorry it died. I had actually posted in there too about cargo pant best buys, or cheap places to get the 5.11s.

Maybe the Trail Hikers are the better way to go. I will see what pops up.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
Darn AilSnail, I thought I'd help you out with the lowrider sites (did I mention I can read Chinese?), however the sites appeared to be in Japanese. So no luck...